Who do you get your broadband from?

Who do you get your broadband from and how would you rate your supplier and speed?

As a few people know I have just changed my supplier from Freedom 2 Surf to O2. O2 where advising I could get up to 14mb on my regular phone line. How can this be? I was already on a 8mb max line and only achieving on average 3 or 4 mb?

After some research I found that I wasn't that far from the telephone exchange so wasn't very impressed with what I was achieving speed-wise and after checking a couple of sites mainly http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/ O2 and Be Unlimited came out tops. (I think they are linked some way)

So last Tuesday I signed up with O2, a new adsl wireless router tuned up last Thursday, yesterday the BB swap had happened. Very efficient although I had forgotten about the "BT factor" and last night I found I had no phone connection :rockon:

By 5pm this evening the phone line had been re-established and my new connection fired up immediately. Had to check the speeed tonight and this is the result

607454044.png

Not bad for a non-cable connection!

Cheers

Hey Joe,

I'm looking for a new supplier at the moment and I have just had a quick look through that site that you have linked - thanks for that!

That connection speed looks very good and perhaps a little optimistic?? I take it the download speed means that a file should download at 13.68mb/s? When I did a test like this on my connection a few weeks ago .. it came out as 6 or 7 mb/s and it said that a film of 800mb should have completely downloaded in about 15 minutes. Well, as it happened, within the next half hour, I downloaded a rather large file of 200mb or so and it took at least an hour .. can't remember the exact download speed.

Have you done any tests on that speed?

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

This image is the actual speed achieved on my connection, I have tried it several times and on several sites and this is about average.

607454044.png

I am supposed to get higher upload but not got better than 1Mb yet.

With that site I linked to you can enter your postcode and see what your neighbours have logged as well!

Cheers

BT... I suppose it's alright. Pretty quick most of the time, even though we are at the furthest point from the exchange. Seems to slow down from time to time which we blame on the house a couple of doors down the road who are nuts about computers and take up all the bandwidth... :rockon:

I've just tested my TalkTalk connection and get download/upload stats of 4mb/0.6mb, which isn't too bad but a long way from the promised 8mb. I'm also living practically on top of the exchange, about 1 mile away. Should we ever move house I would look at changing from TalkTalk as their customer service is shocking; most of the call centre agents do not have a good grasp of the english language :rockon: . Although, when you do finally get set up with them the connection is spot on

Good grief, that's a very good deal. O2 is half what I pay. Although I did negotiate 6 months free on an 18 month contract with BT.

I have 5 months to go, I must remember to check out O2.

No way I can get more than 4-5, not for another couple of years apparently, line and exchange won't take it.

it came out as 6 or 7 mb/s and it said that a film of 800mb should have completely downloaded in about 15 minutes. Well, as it happened, within the next half hour, I downloaded a rather large file of 200mb or so and it took at least an hour .. can't remember the exact download speed.

Since I'm not living in the UK my ISP isn't really interesting in the discussion, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in on the above statement.

Most likely the limitation in this case is on the server you downloaded from. As far as I know most sites that offer large downloads puts bandwidth limitations on each separate download so that a person on a dedicated 1Gbit landline can't use up all avialable bandwith and reduce the service for other users.

ok, here we are...I'm on Virgin 20Mbps Cable connection and heres what i'm getting:

610269276.png

something suspect with my upload speed though i think...

edit: oops, my bad.. just checked it out on Which.net and got the full spec for my connection. Looks like i'm pretty maxed out on the speeds :stars:

That's the fastest I've seen Simi, we don't get cable here in the sticks :stars:

The upload speed is important to me as well, I've yet to get anywhere near the 2.5 they quote but I have now got over 1mb so really pleased!

That's the fastest I've seen Simi, we don't get cable here in the sticks :stars:

The upload speed is important to me as well, I've yet to get anywhere near the 2.5 they quote but I have now got over 1mb so really pleased!

well i've never got above 1mbps upload, but then i rarely do it these days, so not much of a bother. i do however stream video from BBC iPlayer, 4OD and the likes very often....it comes with not actually having a TV in the house...just a huge 40" LCD Computer monitor hooked upto my DVD player!

Hi All,

I'm with sky and have been getting around 6-7Mbps download, although recently they went to the trouble of boosting the speed so now I am getting about 6-7Mbps download, I know I didnt see any difference either, just glad they didn't lose the line on me lol...

I have a friend in portsmouth who is with virgin and he is on Virgins 40Mps line and is getting about 38Gbps and compared to mine is goes like a nuke !!!! lol

There is a site which gives you information on when the BT's 21CN will be put in place for your post code...

Enter your postcode to see all the information you will need:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php