Boeing 767 Overhead Project

Fantastic Jack/Dad. It's all looking soooo good. It's really giving me the inspiration to try and start a build of my own but only a cessna or archer perhaps.

It's all a matter of space with wifey looking over my shoulder.

I am trying to come up with something that would fold in on itself thereby taking less space to store.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

Hope you are all having a good festive period and hope you have a cracking 2011.

Kindest regards

Brian

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Friday 4th February

New Hardware Arrivals:

- Annunciator Cluster Installed (Column 2)

- EVAC Panel Installed (Column 2)

- Stay Tuned for the MASSIVE update ro both Overhead & Pedestal Projects!!!

Both the Annunciator Cluster AND EVAC Panel are fully functional. Unfortuantely, they aren't interfaced yet as I've run out of space on my master card (*buys another one*)!

The EVAC Panel features a guarded toggle switch, glowing push button and pull-switch, along with a realistic "beeper" that actually emits an incredibly loud high-pitched sound when activated!

The annunciator cluster has taken three weeks to produce, as each annunciator is hand-crafted one at a time. Personally, I think they look fantastic together

A few photographs:

100_1468.jpg

100_1467.jpg

100_1471.jpg

100_1472.jpg

Upcoming Hardware Arrivals:

I have decided to approach the building of my Korry Switches from a much more professional angle. Incase you didn't know, "Korry" Switches are present all over the 767 Overhead; every-single square black pushbutton is a Korry Switch.

We have decided to use Ashfield Printing Services (http://www.ashfieldsp.com/) to professionally silk-screen print our Korry switch labels. These labels can be found here, and they are kindly designed by Jeroen op den Akker from the Netherlands: http://home.hccnet.nl/jwopdenakker/downloads/ontwerp_korry_fronts.pdf

The new Korry switches also feature incorporated LEDs, so status updates are received (ON or OFF, PRESS warnings, etc). This new design will replace the current Korry switches.

The silk-screened labels look fantastic, and they provide maximum light bleed protection (that is, the LED light seeping into places we don't want it to go). Furthermore, the Labels are now FULLY Black until illuminated, just as in real life.

Take a look at what they will look like once we receive them:

KorryLabels.jpg

I have decided to approach the building of my Korry Switches from a much more professional angle. Incase you didn't know, "Korry" Switches are present all over the 767 Overhead; every-single square black pushbutton is a Korry Switch.

We have decided to use Ashfield Printing Services (http://www.ashfieldsp.com/) to professionally silk-screen print our Korry switch labels. These labels can be found here: http://home.hccnet.nl/jwopdenakker/downloads/ontwerp_korry_fronts.pdf

Hi Jack,

It's good practise to give credits to (and name) the developer where you have lend your Korry designs, and some of your your screen shots from: It is mr. Jeroen op den Akker, he happens to be a friend of mine.

More building tips can be found at his web site: http://home.hccnet.nl/jwopdenakker/building%20tip.html

Nico Kaan

Hi Nico,

Thanks very much for that. I tried to imply in my post that they weren't my design but wasn't sure who to credit them to! :th_smiles73:

I thought he was a friend of yours, Hessel Oosten mentioned it to me a few times over PM at MyCockpit.org

In other news...

Two more items have arrived for the BIG upcoming update. That brings the total to 4 items out of the arriving 6. This will be one HECK of an update :001_th_smiles89: !!!

• 1 month later...

The Big Update

Is finally here!

I really hope you all enjoy this post. Pictures, 25 minute video, and about 5 brand new extremely expensive items to show you all. Please, sit back, and enjoy...

What is this update?

Well; it's big. It marks the arrival of video blog number 4, along with introducing some new modules/components/setups, etc for the cockpit project. It has taken many months to put everything together, and much longer to film the video and take the pictures.

This post is seperated out into sections. Each item has a dedicated section of its own, to make reading easier.

Enjoy!

Video Blog Number 4 - "The Big Update"

This video is 25 minutes long, and contains an in-depth "interview" (if I can call it that) with each of the items.

Due to its size, it has been split into 5 parts on YouTube. An enourmous thanks goes to Joe Lawford, for taking the (very large amount) time to upload these files to YouTube. Thanks Joe!

NOTE: These videos are *temporarily* publicly available. I usually set my videos to private, but to make it easier, they are public for, lets say, a week. After this period, only select members will be able to watch it.

These videos are a little blurry, so please watch in the highest available quality. Thanks!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Opencockpits 737 Autopilot Panel

If you're thinking, "why did you buy this for a 767 cockpit?"; then don't worry, through the use of some clever programs and scripts, it can be used to have an IDENTICAL function to a 767 AP/MCP Panel.

This item can be purchased from Opencockpits for around £325. It provides complete input/output control of a 737/767 MCP (that's turning things on, and seeing the result on the panel in the form of displays, LEDs, etc).

It is one of the most cost efficient solutions on the market at the moment; much much much cheaper than some of the £1000 options.

2m3_01g.jpg

2m3_02g.jpg

Here are a few pictures of me using it, in flight, with the Level-D 767 add-on for FSX. Software used is SIOC and Lekseecon:

100_1497.jpg

100_1498.jpg

Unfortunately, the SPEED rotary encoder and the HDG rotary encoder have push-buttons that are NOT wired; so I had to wire these myself to the master card.

Buttkicker Gamer 2

This product is what is known technically as a "Tactile Bass Transducer". It picks up all those low, rumbling notes (such as engine sounds, flap extension) and outputs them as virbation into your Desktop Chair. Let me tell you know, this one is AMAZING.

buttkicker_01.jpg

9450a890.jpg

And clamped to my chair:

100_1510.jpg

The amplifer, mounted, amongst a plethora of cables (and the Rudder Pedals!):

100_1511.jpg

Available for £149.99 in the UK, from the ShakerCentre and Flightstore.co.uk. I don't just use this with FSX; I use it all the time with FPS games such as Team Fortress 2, and it really makes an incredible difference. A review will be published on Mutleys'Hangar soon.

Boeing 767 HF Radio Panel

This item was received from America, taken from a real-world 767 that had retired. It is in great condition, and will be mounted in the overhead panel.

100_1513.jpg

100_1515.jpg

100_1516.jpg

This item cost $14425 new! No Joke! Just look at the removal slip...

100_1525.jpg

We will wire this item to the masters card and displays card, for inputs/outputs and 7-Segment displays, respectively.

Boeing 767 Cockpit Voice Recorder

The old classic! This item is in incredibly condition; the microphone still works! We have also removed the casing and had a look inside... It looks fantastic internally too.

100_1517.jpg

100_1520.jpg

100_1519.jpg

100_1518.jpg

As you can see, it is in beautiful condition. We will, once again, wire this to the masters card and get it working with the LDS767 add-on. Also, the gauge in the middle of the item will move in correspondance to the volume level detected by the microphone of the CVR.

TripleHead2Go, Quadruple Monitor setup:

I have finally accomplished something I've been looking forward to for a very long time. I now have four monitors running inside of FSX. Three of them are for me, and one has been placed on the opposite side of the cockpit, acting as a "First Officer's" display. I can now, finally, do duel-cockpit flights with someone else if necessary.

100_1505.jpg

100_1498.jpg

100_1496.jpg

First Officer's Side:

100_1499.jpg

This thing was a nightmare to set-up though. The default Matrox software provided is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, so I had to spend days researching how to set-up the product. It turns out I had to design a custom resolution in the nVidia control panel, running at 59Hz instead of 60Hz; weird!

I got this second hand for £120 from our dear friend "Slopey" (Duncan Murray). Brand new, it costs around £200 (I think).

Again, a huge thanks goes to Joe Lawford for sourcing a 15" Monitor (that's the one on the First Officer's side) for me. I could not find one anywhere for a decent price. Thank you so much Joe!

Real-World Procedures - Australia VNC Charts

I received this from Australia a few weeks back. They enable me to do as-realistic-as-possible flights around Australia, perhaps acting as a supplement to my real-world traning for my PPL.

They are very difficult to source though; in many places these charts are out of stock.

100_1523.jpg

100_1522.jpg

I bought the Newcastle and Brisbane editions:

100_1521.jpg

Other Pictures, other News:/u]

I have sourced a second Saitek Yoke, bought through the Mutley's Hangar classifieds (thanks JD!!!). This is yet again another poke at the idea of doing duel-cockpit flights; one Yoke each for two pilots.

I hope to use the "Greater Axis Bias" method with FSUIPC for these Yokes. That is, the Yoke with the greatest Potentiometer deflection is the one that controls that axis.

100_1512.jpg

The Pedestal, Instrument Panel and Overhead are still going strong...

100_1507.jpg

100_1506.jpg

100_1505.jpg

100_1504.jpg

100_1503.jpg

100_1501.jpg

100_1500.jpg

100_1495.jpg

100_1494.jpg

100_1472.jpg

100_1467.jpg

That's all for now! Thank you very, very much and I hope you have all enjoyed the Big Update! More to come soon...

Kindest regards,

Jack :icon_thumbup:

(Identical Post made in B747 Pedestal Thread)

Bravo Jack,

I loved the live videos, especially the commentary, best watched full screen I reckon.

The extra still shots are amazing and really goes to show what a vast project this is.

One thing I like to see is your jungle of wires, I can show my wife these, that will stop her complaining!!!

Thanks Jack for a great post.

Joe

Bravo Jack,

I loved the live videos, especially the commentary, best watched full screen I reckon.

The extra still shots are amazing and really goes to show what a vast project this is.

One thing I like to see is your jungle of wires, I can show my wife these, that will stop her complaining!!!

Thanks Jack for a great post.

Joe

Thank you very much Joe! If I have the time tomorrow, I shall take some pictures just for you so you can drool over the electronic madness. I tell you, NASA would be jealous if they saw how many wires I had...

:001_th_smiles76: :001_th_smiles76: :001_th_smiles76:

Jack you really are an inspiration to future cockpit builders.

The Vid's are great (although I turned the sound tracks down a tad)(must be getting old), and your extra stills are great also.

Thanks for drying my mouth up. I've salivated so much that I need to go and get a drink.

Excellent work mate. Well done.

Cheers

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

:001_th_smiles76: :001_th_smiles76: :001_th_smiles76:

Jack you really are an inspiration to future cockpit builders.

The Vid's are great (although I turned the sound tracks down a tad)(must be getting old), and your extra stills are great also.

Thanks for drying my mouth up. I've salivated so much that I need to go and get a drink.

Excellent work mate. Well done.

Cheers

Brian

Thank you so much Brian for your feedback; it is truly appreciated! Also, I'm sorry I took so long to reply to you :001_th_smiles48: .

I've got a few more surprises coming before FSC next month, so, as always, stay tuned.

Thursday 28th April 2011

What's new?

- The CVR (Cockpit Voice Recorder) has been fully finished and is ready for installation. I'm just waiting on the arrival from a new master card from Spain, so support all the inputs and outputs required by the panel. A few photographs:

100_1566.jpg

100_1572.jpg

100_1573.jpg

The functionality of the unit is EXACTLY as you would find in the real-world (horay for realism!). The TEST and ERASE buttons are tactile-momentary-push-buttons (ie identical to a normal push button, but with a "click"). The TEST button produces an audio test tone for the CVR, whilst the ERASE button will erase the CVR history.

The CVR microphone is a fantastic piece of kit. It is fully functional; and picks up all cockpit audio such as my voice, engine noise from the speakers, etc. Furthermore, if you've ever put on a real aviation headset in a real flying aircraft, you will notice a sort of "rushing" background sound of the intercom. My CVR Unit delivers identical functionality.

The "International" audio gauge meter is equally impressive. Depending on the level of audio input, the gauge moves between 0-10, with 7-10 being in the "acceptable" (good signal) range. Once again; this is fully functional. Another close-up of the gauge:

100_1572.jpg

Finally, the Headset socket works properly too. I can plug an aviation headset straight into the unit, and hear my own voice (as well as other audio picked up by the microphone, see above). A few photographs of me using the Headset socket:

100_1573.jpg

100_1574.jpg

The Unit is connected to an Opencockpits Master Card (or, rather, will be when it arrives) via an easy-connection gamer-port style plug. The plug simply slots into the back of the unit, and the loose wires on the other end attach to the master card. This also makes removing the module easy, in case of repair, etc. See below:

100_1568.jpg

100_1569.jpg

100_1570.jpg

Something you'd never thought you'd see! A real CVR with a gamer-port on the back! :icon_thumbup:

I would like to stress that THIS IS A REAL-WORLD cockpit voice recorder, removed from a REAL 767, converted by ourselves for simulator use.

What's in development?

Well, apart from an incredible secret project due to be revealed in a few days, we're cracking on with the next module in the overhead panel. The HF (High-Frequency) Panel.

The following photos were taken yesterday. Since then, we have made significant progress on the unit. Nonetheless, I shall show them anyway.

100_1575.jpg

100_1577.jpg

100_1576.jpg

100_1578.jpg

100_1580.jpg

AS a footnote, I'd just like to add that this unit cost $14,000 USB brand new. Again, it is a REAL 767 part.

I hope you've enjoyed this update, more to come very soon.

Regards,

Jack :icon_thumbup:

Thanks for the update Jack, lots of interesting content.

Are you sure this is for flight sim use? We're not going to see a 767 take to the skies over Derbyshire are we!

Cheers

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Monday 6th June 2011

New Hardware Additions:

- The HF Panel has been fully fitted!

- I have purchased, received and fully installed my second Opencockpits MasterCard, to accomodate all the inputs/outputs required for the overhead project

- A full test has been carried out on both the EVAC and "Annunciator Cluster" panels. They both passed with flying colours

Photographs:

100_2095.jpg

100_2090.jpg

100_2094.jpg

100_2093.jpg

100_2092.jpg

100_2091.jpg

100_2086.jpg

100_2089.jpg

100_2083.jpg

Upcoming Hardware Additions:

- The Battery Panel consruction is in full swing. This panel gives us a chance to try out our brand new Korry Switches design

- Although I have previously posted pictures of the panel fully complete, we are yet to install the CVR (Cockpit Voice Recorder) panel. This will be installed soon, but please note it IS below both the Battery and Fuel panel and these will need to be installed first.

Kindest regards,

Jack

Hi max,

I am pretty sure they are a bit too "Greyish" and not dark enough, they need to be more brown.

For the 737 it's easy, all the RAL codes are publicly published everywhere. The 767 is harder for obtaining accurate colours in my opinion.

Regards,

Jack :001_th_smiles89:

Hi everyone,

I have updated the first post.

It should now contain zero errors, and accurately depicts the progress of column 2, of which we are of course currently building.

It also contains a little extra information now.

As always, please check the first post for up to date progress and an overview, and check my last "Blog" post for latest news, updates and pictures.

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday 3rd July 2011

New features:

- The Battery Panel has been installed! This is monumental because it features our very first "Korry Switch"; which took 4 weeks to design and install.

A Korry Switch is a switch with an annunciator built inside it. You cannot see these annunciators unless they are lit (similar to the BIP from Saitek, although it's a totally different ballgame).

The second column is looking really smart! Time to update the first post again. Next, we will install the APU generator panel; SIX Korry Switches!

Photographs:

100_2110.jpg

100_2109.jpg

100_2108.jpg

If you're wondering why the annunciator is highly reflective, it's because they are treated with a gloss that protects them. This gloss is not visible to the human eye, but really shows up when you flash a camera on it.

Thanks for reading!

Regards,

Jack :001_th_smiles89:

Great work yet again Jack & Martin. What do you reckon your completion date is? Do you know that yet??

Keep it up mate it's looking brilliant.

I'm sure you will be able to offer your cockpit as a training aid for real world pilot's it's that good.

What will the charges be for an hour or two??:icon_thumbup:

Regards

Great work yet again Jack & Martin. What do you reckon your completion date is? Do you know that yet??

Keep it up mate it's looking brilliant.

I'm sure you will be able to offer your cockpit as a training aid for real world pilot's it's that good.

What will the charges be for an hour or two??:icon_thumbup:

Regards

Haha! Redeem the costs of construction through renting the Sim? It'll have to be about £100 per hour then!!!!!!! :wootmesalia:

Completion date is, at the moment, unpredicatable, as there are another three columns and we don't really know how hard each one will be to build until we actually get cracking on them!

Jack