RAN: Maritime Investigation (24 pics)

Hey guys,

Decided to do a mini series of typical excercises the Australian Defence Force do daily that keep my great country safe.

The first one is utilizing the Royal Australian Navy's Lockheed AP-3C Orion. The 10 and 11 Maritime Squadrons based out of RAAF Base Edinburgh are assigned 19 Orions between them for maritime patrol, reconnaissance, and anti-submarine warfare.

In todays sortie, a suspicious medium sized vessel has been spotted south east of Adelaide. The crew were instructed to gather photographs and pick up any open line radio frequencies. The Orion used was also armed with MK-46 and MK-50 as a precaution which is standard for such operations.

ScreenMate_216.png

Walk around

ScreenMate_215.jpg

The office for the day

ScreenMate_217.jpg

Starting engine 4

ScreenMate_218.jpg

Airborne

ScreenMate_220.jpg

Passing Parafield

ScreenMate_221.jpg

Building storms...

ScreenMate_222.jpg

...starting to become a worry as we head south

ScreenMate_224.jpg

Heading up to a low altitude of 11,000 feet

ScreenMate_225.jpg

Nothing better to do than snap piccies!

ScreenMate_226.jpg

Getting closer, preparing to activate magnetic anomoly detector (MAD)

ScreenMate_228.jpg

Gathering data as storms move in

ScreenMate_229.jpg

From what the photographs collected, it was declared that the vessel was the same one which has been transporting illegal weaponry from South Africa to Tasmania. The crew contacted control at Edinburgh who got permission from Naval officials in Canberra to sink the vessel.

ScreenMate_230.jpg

2x MK-46 torpedoes were to be fired upon the vessel. However, increasing electrical storm threats threatened the MADs software which could jam communications and potentially cripple on board anti-submarine software were moving in. It was decided not to fire upon the vessel, and the flight crew quickly opted to quit while they were ahead and go home. They had sufficient intelligence to move in the next day when hopefully the weather would be more friendly.

ScreenMate_231.jpg

Climbing quickly to avoid thunderstorms to the North

ScreenMate_232.jpg

Reaching the coast of Southern Australia

ScreenMate_233.jpg

Hazy back in Adelaide

ScreenMate_234.jpg

Turning onto base for an ILS approach

ScreenMate_235.jpg

Lights in sight, gear down!

ScreenMate_236.jpg

Everything hanging out

ScreenMate_238.jpg

Alot better down here, though a bit windy

ScreenMate_239.jpg

Down. Sorry for forgetting to rid of the red text

ScreenMate_240.jpg

All shut down. Time to head back for a debriefing and a cup of coffee...or a beer

ScreenMate_243.jpg

Noble workhorse of Australia's border protection rests proudly after a long days work.

ScreenMate_244.jpg

That's it! Next installment will be sometime next week. For those who haven't fallen asleep or hit the "Back" button by now, I haven't posted screenshots in months - so this is an exclusive for Mut's Hangar.

Hope you enjoyed :eyebrow:

:eyebrow: Excellent post Joe.

Great shots and entertaining commentary. Very reminiscent of mulletmans posts that are always well researched and commented.

Cheers Blue!

Joe,

Great shots, great story. I see Orions frequently, as the USN's East Coast home for them is up the road about 100 miles in Jacksonville. They land right over my brother's house there. A stately bird indeed.

Isn't two Mark 46s for a fishing vessel/freighter laying it on a little heavy? Remind me not to get on your bad side. :cool:

John