Trying out my new camera at ESSA

On saturday the time and opportounity was with me, and so was the weather. So i packed my new camera, my son and my father into the car and headed out to Stockholm Arlanda to try the camera out.

The only thing not working in my favour was the winds, and use of runways. Runway 01L were in use for takeoff and runway 26 was the active for landings. This left us with very few good spots to actually take the shots. In the end we opted for a place about 500 m south of the threshold of runway 01L to get some takeoff and taxi action. The spot put us with a view straight down taxiway Y and with a slight offset to runway 01L.

Before we get on with the pictures a short word on the camera used. I got myself a Nikon D5000 with two lenses, one standard 18-55 and one 55-200 with abit more zoom capacity. In the shots only the 55-200 lens is used, mostly on full zoom to get close to my prey. All of the shots were taken with the camera on a tripod.

But enough of my catter and on to the shots :icon_blahblah:

Just as I had got everything set up these two appered on the taxiway. One Airbus A320 from FinnAir and a KLM Boeing 737.

002finnairairbusa320klm.jpg

The Finn opted for a takeoff point down the runway instead of taxiing to the end. So he got on with his takeoff rather quickly

003finnairairbusa320ont.jpg

The KLM boeing holding short before entering the runway. Didn't recognize the paintjob at first, but from what I have gattered it's some sort of retro paintjob on her.

004klmboeing737holdings.jpg

The southern parts of the apron with a rather sleek looking small jet. More on her later.

008essasouthernapron.jpg

A Boeing 757 from Iceland Air heading for the Active

009icelandairboeing757t.jpg

And then another small business jet came up the taxiway, just visible over the ondulation.

017europeanflightservic.jpg

Two small business jets in one shot.. I wonder if that's a common sight at ESSA.

019europeanflightservic.jpg

The one on the taxiway turned out to be a Embraer Legacy 600 owned by a swedish charter company called European Flight Service.

024europeanflightservic.jpg

And the other one was a Learjet 40 operated by the Austrian company VistaJet. Here she's starting up her engines and preparing for taxi.

029vistajetlearjet40eng.jpg

We move on with a Saab 340A, and something larger in the background

032estoniaairsaab340acu.jpg

Like the Finn, the Estonian opted for a takeoff point down the runway, so it this was as close as it got.

034estoniaairsaab340aop.jpg

The larger bird in the background two shots back was an Airbus A300 from IranAir. Here she comes down taxiway Y with the Saab climbing out in the background.

039iranairairbusa300d3o.jpg

Closer shot of the A300 as she holds short of the Active

042iranairairbusa300d3h.jpg

Next up was a Boeing 737 from SAS, and the IranAir A300 is climbing out in the background.

048sasboeing737ontaxiwa.jpg

The best shot of the bunch in my opinion. The SAS 737 holding short.

050sasboeing737ontaxiwa.jpg

And while the 737 was taxiing the Learjet 40 had started her taxi to the active.

052vistajetembraerlegac.jpg

And the IranAir A300 was well on her way to Hamburg for a stop before continuing to Theran.

054iranairairbusa300b4e.jpg

And now the biggest bird in this collection was leaving her gate and was heading our way.

055thaiboeing747leaving.jpg

Back to that Learjet, almost at the runway, and the SAS 737 is rolling down the runway

062vistajetembraerlegac.jpg

Soon to be followed by the Lear

069064vistajetembraerle.jpg

And to close this up I give you a few shots of a ThaiAir 747

First on taxiway Y

079thaiboeing747ontaxiw.jpg

Then on Y1 close to entering the runway.

085thaiboeing747ontaxiw.jpg

On the runway with enginges starting to propell her forward

088thaiboeing747engines.jpg

And taking off behind a small hill.

096thaiboeing747takeoff.jpg

That's it.. hope you enjoyed looking at them....

Loving the retro 737!

Superb shots, looks like a great camera and photographer! I'm sure I've spotted a Ethiopian 737 in the 4th shot..... That Irainain A300 looks like a good 'un to see!

Thanks guys.

As for the Ethiopian I think your right, my first reaction on site was Alitalia, but once I got it on a larger screen it didn't match up. As for the type i'll have to take your word for it, I havn't the foggiest. It was still at the gate when I left.

Have to get back to you on that, but I seriously doubt it.

To much stuff in the way, and a bit to far away, plus I think the sun reflects of the parts of the fuselage that's in view.

But I'll take a look at the un-shrunk photo tomorrow, I havn't got it available right now.

icon_goodpost.gif

Thanks for posting these excellent shots Micke, they are so clear and with your commentary make for a very entertaining post,

I hope Kaspar enjoyed it, you have to start them young!

Cheers,

joe

icon_goodpost.gif

Thanks for posting these excellent shots Micke, they are so clear and with your commentary make for a very entertaining post,

I hope Kaspar enjoyed it, you have to start them young!

Cheers,

joe

I fear that Kasper didn't enjoy the trip at all, most likely down to the chilling winds and lack of toys for him to play with. Good thing I had my father with me. He took Kasper back to the car to get him out of the weather...

@Aidan: Would love to see a A340, but they are a rare visitor at Arlanda. SAS have a few of them, but they mostly fly out of Copenhagen. I did check at Airliners.net for A340s at ESSA, and it seems that SAS use one of theirs for the Beijing route at times, but given the few shots that were posted I'd say that it isn't used every time. Either that or it isn't a regular route for them.

As for Thai, there's rumours of them using the A380 for the Stockholm route some time in the future, that will be a treat if it happens. And their 747s are a regular visitor, I think it's a daily route. To bad they usually arrive way to early in the morning for me to get a landing shot.. usually they land at about 6 AM :001_th_smiles48: