Bin Laden is Dead

I don't have much in the way of details yet but it's been announced that Bin Laden was killed a week ago by a US bomb, we are in posession of his body and his identity has been confirmed by DNA testing. A happy day indeed... :001_th_smiles76: :001_th_smiles89: :icon_thumbup: :thumbup::salute:

Thank you, US Armed Forces, once again.

John

Someone else will step into his shoes.

I have to say (I'm not being defeatist - realistic, I hope) that I think all those US guys gathering outside the White House to celebrate are doing the wrong thing.

How many times have we been disgusted by the celebrations they have had over the killing of Westerners? Do those people think this action (the celebrating) will pacify potential recruits to terrorism, or enrage and encourage them?

I just think it's the wrong thing to do, and is the kind of thing that the West, in its ignorance, will never learn.

Besides that - how long has it taken? 10 years? If anything, it's the bad guys who have cause to be scoffing.

JD

JD,

Respectuflly, can you not see the difference between dancing in the streets over the senseless murder of over 3,000 innocent people on 9/11 and being happy over the killing of the arch-terrorist who commissioned it?

A very dangerous bug has been exterminated. Stifling our joy over that because of worry over enraging and encouraging potential recruits is not how we wish to live our lives. They were already doing their level best to kill us before - the fact that the Sand Flea was still alive was not holding them back and the fact that he is dead does not confer new powers on them.

They'll continue to try to do what they were already trying to do before we got his sorry arse. Bring them on if that's what they want.

John

:clapping: :dance2:

U.S Navy SEALS are the best!

John, you are correct, IMHO.

Al Queda has been waging attacks against the West and against freedom for almost 20 years. They will continue to do so whether Bin Laden is alive or dead. They need no further reason to be incited. They didn't really have a reason to begin with (at least not a coherent one). Bin Laden being dead is good news for everyone. He was their spiritual leader more than anything. Since George Bush put him on the run almost ten years ago, Bin Laden hasn't really been running the show in any significant way. He was too busy hiding.

The war against terror is far from over, but this is great victory!

I think it is fantastic news and a great victory for the free world.

We all know in the latter years he was just a figurehead for Al Qaida and the war on terrorism carries on, but what a prize and reward for thousands of murdered people and their families.

Well done to those US special forces. :icon_rockon:

Dancing in the streets etc... might not be the best way to celebrate (for want of a better word) killing OBL as it will only anger the extremists and who knows what will happen next. It's fantastic news for the free world and those who have been affected by his actions, but the war isn't over as there is probably someone just as cunning/evil waiting to step into his place to carry on. That said, the world is a much safer place now that he is gone (assuming the death certificate checks out :th_smiles73: )

as it will only anger the extremists and who knows what will happen next.

I don't think we should live in fear of "angering the extremists" though should we. Fear is the device extremist use to exert their influence over us.

The individuals you mention may not be celebrating in a tasteful way, but they are entitled to do so. We shouldn’t let extremists take away our freedom to express ourselves, within the law, the way we like.

If the people of the United States wish to celebrate what they perceive to be a just outcome, then so be it. Who can blame them after 3000 of their innocent countrymen were massacred?

The deaths of so many Americans earns them the right to go a little over the top with their celebrations.

Death to burial at sea, in 6 hours flat... including a DNA test !!! ???

Never known a DNA test to take less than 24 hours.

Very suss.

Typical of the SEALS to go in guns blazing. I'd have preferred him to be tried like Saddam was, and imprisoned for long time, where he could contemplate his crimes. Instead, he's living it up with those 99 Vestal V*@''ns they were all "promised".

That's what a cynic like Denny Crane would say... I say: "good outcome !"

:001_th_smiles89:

"....Superman, was a man of steel.. but he 'ain't no match for a Navy SEAL !! " Hoorah !

Death to burial at sea, in 6 hours flat... including a DNA test !!! ???

Never known a DNA test to take less than 24 hours.

Very suss.

No need to wait for the results before the burial at sea - once you have the sample material you can bury the body without waiting for the results.

Typical of the SEALS to go in guns blazing.

Yes. Also typical of them to accomplish the mission. I'm very pleased that there were no casualities on the American side. Using minimal force usually means accepting a greater risk of friendly casualties.

I'd have preferred him to be tried like Saddam was, and imprisoned for long time, where he could contemplate his crimes. Instead, he's living it up with those 99 Vestal V*@''ns they were all "promised".

No, it would have been a several years long spectacle full of media and foreign criticism and second guessing and would have only prolonged his infamy and kept him in the public eye. There would have been second guessing on where to imprison him, what procedure to use in trying him and all manner of political, ideological and legal chicanery to prolong the circus.

This is better. He'll be a news item for a few weeks and that's that

That's what a cynic like Denny Crane would say... I say: "good outcome !"

I think Denny Crane would consider it a good outcome too.

John

Yes, I agree overall. They had to get in and out quickly as I believe they did not have permission to even be in Pakistan !

So... job done.

Still reckon there's a boat load of "questions" unanswered though. There is stuff we are not being told. It will cerainly keep the conspiracy whackos, busy for a while... :icon_blahblah:

Come to think of it... Denny Crane does tend to shoot things indoors quite a lot.

The episode where they went to Canada for some Salmon fishing was the best ever. Denny actually discharged a shotgun in the local courthouse, taking out half the ceiling. Classic. :icon_bowdown:

I think he made a pro-gun commercial too, didn't he? It takes place in a parking garage where he and a colleague are victims of an armed robbery attempt. He pulls his own gun and turns the tables on the perp. It's not unlike the "Crocodile Dundee" scene where the hero says, "You call that a knife? THIS is a knife", except in the Denny Crane version, he actually uses his weapon and the criminal doesn't just run away. In fact it appears that he won't be running anywhere for a while - one in a knee and one in each foot, or vice versa - I forget. Denny does know how to foil a robbery.

John

Instead, he's living it up with those 99 Vestal V*@''ns they were all "promised".

That's 99 old crones that couldn't get laid....

And as far as I've understood the Koran doesn't specificly say they have to be female either :th_smiles73:

The whole point is that the K@ran doesn't promise VVs to anyone - it flies right in the face of Isl@mic culture and holy law. Fidelity is where the term "infidels" comes from - do the math.

Extr#mist "doctrine" is so full of self contradiction, and possibly explains why the vast majority of sui b~mmers are very young, and even more naive.

I think it's a Blackhawk with some add-on armor against small-arms fire. Special forces units often don't use standard-issue things and have more leeway to use custmized or improvised hardware.

John