Hey Joe, It does have certain (Fn) keys but not the F1 - F12 that the standard KB has. I will be able to reprogram what keys I actually need once I have finished adding whatever buttons, knobs and whistles I want onto my panel.

I'm in chats with Jack about how to go about it but I do have a general knowledge of adding switches and knobs to the panel. Having said that I'm glad we have someone like Jack on the team, who is willing to give advice freely. (at the moment that is) :whis:

It depends how much I have to pester him :P .

The wireless keyboard is really quite handy already.

Cheers mate. :thum:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking very good.

I think I'll follow your lead on that mini keyboard, accessing mine with all the Saitek GA panels and throttles clamped to the desk is a bit difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers guys ... and sorry for using your thread again Needles ... but at least I've bumped it :)

All I know is the Saitek trim wheel takes nine revolutions for what it does and its more real diameter will get better trim results and that's got to be more precise than the small trim wheel on the Saitek panel I already have.

Hmmm, with the third party SPAD drivers for those panels or FSUIPC I might be able to use that wheel for rudder or aileron trim.

I like your craftmanship Needles, look fwd to seeing your trim wheel.

Hi Guys,

Another wee addition to my panel courtesy of AeroMax.

It's a Parking Brake lever.

Unfortunately Max had a problem with the lack of direct usb ports so he was unable to use it.

So, after a short hop from Germany, here it is.

Here you can see it's installed into the back of my panel albeit on a temporary basis. I will eventually fix it in permanently once everything is tested and I'm happy.

DSC04441.jpg

Here it is as it looks on the front panel. Both pictures show it in it's relevant positions. Fully in for released and fully out for activated.

DSC04439.jpg

DSC04440.jpg

Apologies to M31 who would have also liked to get this but hey, a big 'Thank You' to Joe for drawing my attention to it in the 'Classifieds' section and an equally big Thank You to Max for selling it to me.

More updates to follow, but not quite ready for the camera yet, so bear with me and keep looking.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Cheers Joe. It's a nifty bit of kit. Not much inside the box but it adds that extra bit of realism to my panel.

You don't happen to know where I can get a set of cockpit warning labels for a cessna 172/182 do you?

The sort I mean are the text labels adorning the cockpit panels.

Cheers

Cheers Joe. It's a nifty bit of kit. Not much inside the box but it adds that extra bit of realism to my panel.

You don't happen to know where I can get a set of cockpit warning labels for a cessna 172/182 do you?

The sort I mean are the text labels adorning the cockpit panels.

Cheers

Do you mean this: http://www.chiefaircraft.com/mdy-cik-002.html ?

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Second update in as many days.

Instead of buying the Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel,http://www.flightstore.co.uk/saitek-cessna-pro-flight-trim-wheel.asp/simulation/CessnaRange

I decided (on Jacks advice), to build my own for a fraction of the cost. £7.00UK to be exact.

I bought a Rotary Encoderhttp://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/ CTS288 model. I then had some spare MDF from which I cut a 100mm disc.

I notched the circumference with a dremel sanding tool and coated it with 3 coats of black hammerite paint.

This will be connected to my Opencockpits Inputs card and with a SIOC script, it will emulate a Trim Wheel.

So, here is my panel taped and ready to cut.

DSC04447.jpg

I unfortunately got carried away and fitted the wheel before taking a picture of the hole cutout.

Here are a couple of shots showing the wheel in place.

DSC04448.jpg

DSC04449.jpg

I intend to put some sort of capping around the hole to make it look more professional. I'm open to ideas regarding that.

Cheers, that's all for now but keep looking.

I bought a Rotary Encoder .....This will be connected to my Opencockpits Inputs card and with a SIOC script,

Stop messing about Jack, that's you talking.. right? :huh:

Seriously Brian, well done mate, actually fabricating the device is very impressive.

Maybe black capping so it matches in with the rest?

I bought a Rotary Encoder .....This will be connected to my Opencockpits Inputs card and with a SIOC script,

Stop messing about Jack, that's you talking.. right? :huh:

You carck me up Mr Lawford.

*Crack*

I must admit Joe, this thing has taken on a life of it's own. All because I went to FSC Weston last year.

It's all your fault.

I lay the blame squarely at your door mate.

Wifey want's to know how I'm affording it.

I tell her it's because I was gifted a MH credit card.

"Where is it? Let me see it" She says.

"It doesn't exist physically" I told her.

"It exists in the ether that is Mutley's Hangar"

Phew!

Got away lightly with that line.

Still your fault though. You invited me. :P

looking very good, my Saitek trim wheel arrived Tuesday and I like it very much, just the right amount of resistance to wheel roll ... maybe something to look out for in your build Brian, I imagine it would be quite easy to add resistance to the wheel rotation behind the panel if needed though.

Just had a thought regarding Cessna labels and suchlike, what about buying one of those life size Cessna cockpit posters you see on Flightstore and scanning or cutting out the labels, warning signs ETC and maybe laminate them?

Cheers.

I have tried to find a decent one but no success. When I try to zoom in to read the labels, it ends up blurred. I have probably not forund the right poster yet. But thanks for the tip, I will keep looking.

Cheers.

Making good progress by the looks of it Brian.

@Graham: A nice idea, but I doubt it will work since you can't assign the rudder trim to an axis in FSX, only elevator trim can be assigned to an axis... (this is of course assuming the trim wheel works as an axis....)

It might be possible with a registered version of FSUIPC though, but not in default FSX...