FSX Power Project

Has anyone heard of or indeed used this freeware addon which works in conjunction with photo scenery.

I can't find a lot of information about it though this is a quote from Flightsim.com FSX Power Project

Basically, it consists of four sections:

1: A partial model of the UK national electricity grid with 28,000+ electrical pylons, hundreds of wind turbines, electrical sub-stations, cooling towers and chimney stacks positioned to align with Horizon's Generation X England & Wales photo scenery. Coordinates of scenery in Scotland & Northern Ireland were obtained via Google Earth, restricting coverage to cloud-free, hi-res areas. Optional chimney stack smoke & cooling tower steam effects are included.

2: Many wind farms & power stations (including steam & smoke effects) are represented & positioned (using Google Earth) in East/West Europe, Africa, Canada, India, Australia, New Zealand and USA (including the huge Horse Hollow wind farm in Texas).

3: Cooling tower steam effects applied to 19 FSX default power stations in the USA (including 3-mile Island).

4: Some radomes & satellite earth stations positioned in England, North America and one in Puerto Rico (this section added v2.0).

Here's a link

Looks very interesting - thanks for digging it up, Graeme (?)! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool

Hey Guys I have just found this add-on scenery as well :).

It's made for use with the Horizon photo scenery really, but decided try it out anyway, and it also works a treat with my JF photo scenery as well :icon_thumbup:

When I was at the airfield, I could see these pylons sticking out of the ground in the distance :)

fsx_2011_07_05_02_19_06_863.jpg

The wind turbines are rotating as well, I think this is the coolest freeware I have seen so far :icon_rockon:

fsx_2011_07_05_02_17_23_280.jpg

I bet that Dai can even tell us where these shots were made? ;) .

Cheer's...Graham...

Looks like Ynys Môn to me, Graham Bach! And your VFR photo scenery looks very good with all those turbines - thanks for sharing. :thum:

I've downloaded the add-on but haven't had time to install - will do so, now...

Hwyl - Dai. :cool:

Looks like Ynys Môn to me, Graham Bach! And your VFR photo scenery looks very good with all those turbines - thanks for sharing. :thum:

I've downloaded the add-on but haven't had time to install - will do so, now...

Thanks Dai, I was not sure of the name of the place, but these were on the northwest side of Anglesey, so it looks like your right :icon_thumbup:

Will be looking for the powerstations later on tonight, I want to see if they really have the smoke visible at 20 miles, like it claims in the instructions.

I did find two huge chimneys near Cardiff last night, and it did look like a power plant! but they were not showing any smoke at all! :unsure:

Cheer's...Graham...

Aberthaw B's on shut-down - they've run out of coal! :whis:

P.S. I worked on that power station when I were t' lad, you know!

Cheer's again Dai, just googled "Aberthaw B" and I don't think it's that one, I took off from Weston-Super-Mare and headed north, think that the ones I saw were in the Grangetown area.

Cheer's...Graham...

My bad - Aberthaw's only got 1 chimney! Well spotted... :whis:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

No worries Dai, :) I’ll have another go tonight and see if I can get a decent screenshot of them, I also want to try crashing into one of the wind turbines to see if they actually are a real hazard ;) .

Cheer's...Graham...

Aye, Lad - Ferrybridge 'C' - t'were biggest power station in t' Europe in t' 1966. Mind you, we 'ad to rebuild bl**dy coolin' towers that fell dahn in t' wind, like! :thum:

Mmmm - those were't days when you could go dahn street, 'ave a skinful, 'ave a big plate o' pie 'n peas and still 'ave change from 'alf-a-crahn, like...

Aye, Lad - Ferrybridge 'C' - t'were biggest power station in t' Europe in t' 1966. Mind you, we 'ad to rebuild bl**dy coolin' towers that fell dahn in t' wind, like! :thum:

Mmmm - those were't days when you could go dahn street, 'ave a skinful, 'ave a big plate o' pie 'n peas and still 'ave change from 'alf-a-crahn, like...

I would just like to say that I have had the pleasure of being on "teamspeak3" with Graeme!

and he sounds just like that :D :D :D .

Cheer's...Graham...

PS: His scenery looks nice though :) but what is that peice of junk he's flying??? :rolleyes:

I would just like to say that I have had the pleasure of being on "teamspeak3" with Graeme!

and he sounds just like that :D :D :D .

Cheer's...Graham...

I think some of the real Yorkshiremen on here will wholeheartedly disagree :woot:

Right then lets see what Dai's Cornish is like ;) .

This is Goonhilly earth station, with Goonhilly Downs wind farm is in the distance, I did manage to hit one of the turbines, and yes it did destroy my plane :o , so it may be a good idea not to get to close to these things next time out ;)

GoonhillyearthstationandGoonhillyDownswindfarmCornwall.jpg

Cheer's...Graham...

• 8 months later...

Richborough power station in Kent (UK) was demolished yesterday, 12 March 2012.

Anyone interested in removing this from FSX Power Project may find the relevant .bgl file hard to find as I mistakenly named it as Ebbsfleet power station. Look for the file UK_EbbsfleetKent_power.bgl in the FSXPower Project_objects folder and move it into the 'demolished' folder. This will remove the three cooling towers and single chimney stack from the Kent landscape.

Cheers,

Ray.

If you've 'demolished' Richborough, are you going to build this?

Thanet%20Wind%20Farm.jpg

But Thanks for the power station set - we could see Pembroke's chimney 'til 2000, when the 'blew it up' after failing to get approval for orimulsion. This, I guess was after the high court case with Richborough, when a local farmer called for the orimulsion trials there to stop because of damage to his crops.

And - Welcome to the Madhouse, Ray - Pleased to meet you! :thum:

Dai & Joe,

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanet and the huge London Array currently under construction are due to be modelled in the near future, also, nearer to Dai's 'neck of the woods', I have just downloaded the coordinates of the 160 turbines comprising Gwynt y Mor offshore wind farm about to be constructed off the North Wales coast. These turbines seem to grow quicker than mushrooms around our coastline - very frustrating for scenery designers.

Is the 'Madhouse' this website or flight simulation in general? The forum area seems reasonably civilized when compared to many on other sites!

Would like to thank everyone for their kind comments and nice screenshots of Power Project posted here.

Regards,

Ray.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ray,

I've long been a user of Power Project :)

I noticed having installed the southern scotland scenery yesterday that pylons etc there are somewhat out of alignment...Do you have the current info for power lines in Scotland? I can send you images from the CAA 1:250k charts which show pylon routes across whatever parts of the uk you need if that would be useful?

Cheers

k

Hi, Kevin.

The FSX Power Project pylons (and sub-stations) in England & Wales were aligned to Horizon GenX England/Wales v1 photo scenery. Those in Scotland & Northern Ireland were aligned using Google Earth which was considerably more time consuming (my pc would hang or crash if FSX & G.Earth were running at same time), consequently, many pylons have not yet been been plotted in those areas. Using the FSX object placement tool it was possible to directly place upto 200 pylons/hour onto the GenX landscaple. Placing pylons onto the default landscape required manually typing its coordinate - on a good day, about 30 pylons/hour.

Some of the England/Wales pylons in urban areas were plotted using Google Earth as it was not always easy to confirm their postions in the lower resolution, cluttered textures of the GenX scenery. These pylons did closely match the positions shown in GenX, so am surprised that the Scottish pylons are not so precise. I had hoped to have purchased the Scotland photo-real textures by now, but a recent PC purchase has delayed that - I'm still transferring much of my old software!

Most of my scenery objects were placed to +/_ a tenth of a second of arc which is smaller than the diameter of most wind turbine towers.

My e-mail address is in the FSXPP readme! doc. if you decide to send a sample of the CAA charts.

Incidentally, I can now run FSX, SDT, GPS display and Google Earth together on two screens without any hang-ups or crashes (touch wood) - I suspect this is mainly down to a combination of Win7 Pro and 8-Gbytes of RAM.

This scenery project was started more than 3-years ago - just to provide a few pylons and cooling towers in the Yorkshire area for my own use - but I got carried away. At the start I had no idea how to design scenery or special effects/animations - Gmax was initially a nightmare.

Cheers,

Ray.

All credit to you, Ray - it's a great project and, as you say, the Devil is in the detail. Glad you enjoyed your 'betrothal' with gmax! :thum:

Living in mid Wales (EGCW), we have a number of wind farms, so this type of add-on scenery is just the ticket. And sson we'll have a whole new set of high voltage pylons connecting the Newtown sub station to the grid - so you'll have a couple more to erect!

Dai, & grayjay thanks for your kind words.

Dai, took note of your request and cobbled together a few models to produce a version of Thanet offshore wind farm - 100 animated turbines with boat landing platforms off the Kent coast.

Look in the scenery section of members' uploads.

Hope you like it!

Ray.