banner.jpg

Just published is Jessica Bannister-Pearce's first review for Mutley's Hangar.

Now the hype has died down and we have had a chance to get to know this product, Jess tells us how it is shaping up.

Welcome to the Crew Jess, a great debut. Take a bow and more please!

Review

• Like 1

Congratulations on a nicely-written first review piece :thum: .

Just out of curiosity do the PMDG folks program in a similar fashion to A2A and essentially bypass/ignore portions of the FSX code to achieve good frame rates and stability in this sort of complex model?

And further-how well does this model perform on more modest systems? I only ask as my basis for comparison is the ultra-complex A2A B377 COTS model that performs flawlessly even with max AI, clouds, and in horrible frame-hog areas like Heathrow/Seattle.

Cheers

Ted

p.s. I am perpetually tempted by the PMDG 737 if for no other reason than to support a quality developer. Although I am hoping to see some version of this package show up in X-Plane at some point.

yeah a fair write up, being a little critical , it could have been more comprehensive, but how much do you cover of the sims potential? and how technical do you make it? a difficult question, but not bad at all, for a first review

I must admit before the several rushed out fixes and service packs became available, the original issue was nowhere near as polished i have to admit crossing swords with one or two of the guys at pmdg who seem to think that a client with a problem with their work needs to be brushed under the carpet, there is no doubt that their beta testers were not on the ball at all judging from some of the most blatant fixes that were rushed out , but now with sp1b we have got a pretty good sim which will no doubt receive some more polish when **** is issued in the near future.

I have to also say that after using fsim for what must be 26 years, if not more, this is the most accomplished a/c to be released which bodes well for their 777 project which i would imagine wont take anywhere near as long as the NGX because there are so many similar systems that they must ba able to carry across.

Nice one, Val! Welcome to the Reviewer's Bar... :thum:

BTW, I'm not a 'tube' person, but I enjoyed reading your review. If I were to go PMDG, then the NGX would be first on the list - well, until the DC-6B, anways! :whis:

Hwyl - Dai. :cool:

...but not bad at all, for a first review...

@ britfrog - It's not her first review. It's her first review HERE and we're fortunate to have her. She's been around the block and is an established flight sim writer.

John

been around the block

I am sure Jess will take that as a compliment! :rofl:

and is an established flight sim writer

Ah, that qualifies it :thum:

I echo what John says, you can see Jess' latest printed work in PC Pilot this month :cool:

Great review Jess, and I couldn't agree more with your conclusions...

And after reading the review I fell that I need to find some time to take the -600 out for a spin in the near future ;)

Ah guys, you're making me blush. (and it's not a good look on a goth. Healthy ewwwww!) so many questions. @TedG. The infomation I have on the ngx is that pmdg, like A2A have moved the vast majority of systems modelling outside of fsx leaving the just the visuals to affect frame rates. In that regard, fps are significantly better than both the 747-400X and MD-11. Don't get me wrong, flying into new York with Aerosoft's manhattan scenery will bring the NGX to a crawl.

@John. Around the block? You sure know how to make a girl feel special. :wub: Lol.

@britfrog. Thanks for the feedback. Your right, The review could have been more comprehensive, but then I'd be worried it would be to technical and may put of new users from perhaps taking the leap into this amazing aircraft. Plus knowing where to stop would have been a problem lol.

@stu. I Love the -600. By far she's the most fun to fly. Sadly the -600 is not popular with airlines. Apparently 2 -600's from Malev are flying out of Shannon to the us to be scrapped. The we're only made in

2003/4. :-(

Everyone else, thanks. And thanks to joe for giving me a spot here with you guys. I'll catch up with you all at the FSC this year.

Jess B

The -600, as you say, is great fun... and the "tiny" size of it almost makes it cute ;)

I see them on a fairly regular basis up here in Stockholm since SAS operate 28 of them for primarily domestic flights but also on some european destination, and 15 of those have Stockholm Arlanda as their home base.

@John. Around the block? You sure know how to make a girl feel special. Lol.

I guess "...around the traffic pattern..." might have been a little more eloquent. No double meaning intended, as I'm sure you've already figured out.

John

@TedG. The infomation I have on the ngx is that pmdg, like A2A have moved the vast majority of systems modelling outside of fsx leaving the just the visuals to affect frame rates. In that regard, fps are significantly better than both the 747-400X and MD-11. Don't get me wrong, flying into new York with Aerosoft's manhattan scenery will bring the NGX to a crawl.

Interestingly in doing my review of the the A2A B377 COTS I stress tested the hell out of it at KSEA with full REX2, ORBX stuff, and 100% Ultimate Traffic 2 on my modest system with nary a stutter, hitch, burp, or anything else. Ditto on VATSIM out of Boston and Heathrow.

And when I load up a simple Aerosoft Twin Otter, Carenado C208, or even the oldie but goodie Aerosoft Beaver X I actually get some annoying hiccups for a roughly 100nm radius around KSEA.

Go figure.

While I have not had the opportunity to play with the PMDG NGX (yet)....the whole concept of running the aircraft external to FSX is some seriously awesome programming voodoo. I wonder if its the FMS that slows down the NGX in dense scenery areas as there is no such animal with the B377. Quien sabe? :cool:

TedG, I'll have to reinstall the old B377 and take a spin. My system recently gained a new gpu which let me up the sliders in fsx. I also have ut2 at 100% and run orbx and Rex.

Btw would you be tedG of avsim fame? I've been hanging around the xplane forums enjoying the back and forth (or down right nastiness sometimes lol) I'm getting x-plane 10 next week Hope and I'm looking forward to learning how to add my own scenery.

Best wishes,

Jess B

@TedG. The infomation I have on the ngx is that pmdg, like A2A have moved the vast majority of systems modelling outside of fsx leaving the just the visuals to affect frame rates. In that regard, fps are significantly better than both the 747-400X and MD-11. Don't get me wrong, flying into new York with Aerosoft's manhattan scenery will bring the NGX to a crawl.

Interestingly in doing my review of the the A2A B377 COTS I stress tested the hell out of it at KSEA with full REX2, ORBX stuff, and 100% Ultimate Traffic 2 on my modest system with nary a stutter, hitch, burp, or anything else. Ditto on VATSIM out of Boston and Heathrow.

And when I load up a simple Aerosoft Twin Otter, Carenado C208, or even the oldie but goodie Aerosoft Beaver X I actually get some annoying hiccups for a roughly 100nm radius around KSEA.

Go figure.

While I have not had the opportunity to play with the PMDG NGX (yet)....the whole concept of running the aircraft external to FSX is some seriously awesome programming voodoo. I wonder if its the FMS that slows down the NGX in dense scenery areas as there is no such animal with the B377. Quien sabe? :cool:

apparently for whatever reason (only known to those who wish to keep programming a black art) KSEA is a known area that is heavy on a P.C 's resources , I generally fly fsx with an LOD of 7.500 or sometimes higher i have managed 9.5 and the scenery is superbly realistic however when flying the NGX you have to cut this back to at least 5,5 if not the default 4.5 to avoid a CTD when around Ksea and likewise if you use any FtX scenery

TedG, I'll have to reinstall the old B377 and take a spin. My system recently gained a new gpu which let me up the sliders in fsx. I also have ut2 at 100% and run orbx and Rex.

Btw would you be tedG of avsim fame? I've been hanging around the xplane forums enjoying the back and forth (or down right nastiness sometimes lol) I'm getting x-plane 10 next week Hope and I'm looking forward to learning how to add my own scenery.

Best wishes,

Jess B

Haha....no fame involved but yes....one and the same.

Wtih regard to the B377 COTS.....my system is not close to your posted specs. Boot that sucker at KSEA and see what you think.

Enjoy XPX with an open mind and realistic expectations. Personally I am sticking to XP9.7 for the next few months despite ordering the Aerosoft XPX version just to stay on top of how things progress. But thats another topic! Right now I am in the middle of getting my head around two lovely payware airliners for my own enjoyment. The prop one is pretty natural for me....the jet I am just getting a handle on.

Anyway....I am not going to derail this further :cool: .

Cheers

Ted

p.s. Ain't this Mutley's place a great spot or what :thum: