Lancaster landing at Ísafjörður Airport (BIIS), Iceland

Hi Joe,

what you may or may not know, is that the airfield manager at popham was originally taken on charge to get the lancaster that charles church had bought in canada airworthy and then be flight engineer as they flew it across the pond. it did take some time toi get it all together but they did accomplish it in the end, only to put the plane in the british aerospace hanger in manchester for the roof to fall in on it , but if you want someone to do a good evenings talk **** will do it with a slide presentation as well, btw he used to be the head of the strathallen collection so he knows a thing or two about old a/c.

For those who are unaware of popham airfield, it was bought and developed by a property magnate called charles church, he bought about 3 hurricanes and 12 spitfires from canada as well as the lancaster, he had a private strip near popham where he underwent all the work to bring these a/c back to airworthy condition. his dream was to convert popham into a replica of a second world war base hence the very long runway (still in grass) and the preparations made for blast pens etc sadly all this ended when his spitfire developed engine problems and rather than put it down in an open field he tried to stretch the glide too far (perhaps due to the value of spits) to get to blackbushe, he sadly failed and spun in.

At popham in the winter we gat talks from all the greatest test pilots , war aces , concorde pilots , you name it it costs very little but no matter who is talking you are rivetted to the spot , we have had the test pilots of vickers concorde you name it they have been there it is a really amazing place, and should anyone from this site go ther and mention me they will give you a look around.

Music is perfect for the video Dai and the landing is brilliant too, a feel-good video!

Shame you spelt your name wrong in the closing credits. :whis:

Aah - I generally leave a spelling mistake in the credits so I can tell if anybody's watched 'til the last frame!

Glad you liked the vid, really enjoyed making this one - she's my favourite! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

• 1 month later...