Be very careful if you get this email. It arrived yesterday in my inbox and straight away I thought it was odd. No National Insurance number for starters. The attachment looks very real but i was having none of it. I rang HMRC fraud department and they confirmed that it is indeed a scam that has recently started. They confirmed that they would NEVER ask for details by email. I forwarded the email to them for their references. The attachment is actually scanned onto a genuine HMRC form and would fool a lot of people.!this is it......................

Tax Refund Notification

Msg Ref: 609/LA62811

You are almost at the end of the deadline date for you to claim your back dated tax refund for the amount of £305.56 for the dates 2007-2009.

Failure to do so will result in you loosing this claim and future claims.

Please complete the attached form correctly and return it before the end of April, as you will not be able to claim at any later date.

Sincerely,

HM Revenue & Customs.

London , HA7 2LD

All rights reserved

Scams are on the rise. I never give any info out to anyone, PC or from the phone. The PC I ignore inquierys, the phone is more fun when you turn it around and start asking them a bunch of questions. :P

There are times I'd love to send some phony bank information to the "Nigerian widow" or otherwise bait the scammers into wasting some time and effort going up a blind alley. In the end, despite the temptation, I don't do that because I don't want to do anything to raise my head higher than the Internet general population. There's safety in numbers and making yourself conspicuous in any way to the scammers/spammers is probably not a wise thing. Pick your battles.

John

At the risk of self-promotion:

http://www.rsbookkeeping.co.uk/hmrc-giving-tax-rebate/

http://www.rsbookkeeping.co.uk/hmrc-phishing/

Sadly people come up with more and more ways to try and scam people out of money. HMRC will never email you advising you that you are going to get a refund. Any refunds due can be seen on your HMRC log-in profile and can be requested directly through the HMRC website. If you are ever in and doubt give them a call

I had a tax rebate owing to me from 2006, which I'd forgotten about. HMRC just sent me a cheque out of the blue (they'd obviously been doing some book keeping) for the full amount plus interest. It was a nice surprise and paid for my new iPad :)