Leg 77: Entebbe Intl [HEUN] -->> Victoria Falls [FVFA]

Hi Guys 001_th_salute10re.gif

I've had problems with my chosen aircraft again.. I was promised a serviceable aircraft but unfortunately the initial repair just uncovered other problems :sadblinky:

The good news is I have secured another aircraft which will arrive here in Entebbe late tonight along with some crew. So I am going to take a kip in the office, luckily enough I have a hangar based here a share with Boxwings Air Freight, a joint FBO :mrhappy:

So I hope to get airborne in the morning.

Here is a shot from Entebbe this evening sat in the Pajero waiting for our aircraft, a stunning sunset!

leg77_0.jpg

Cheers

Good News!

I touched down in Vic falls about 5 minutes ago, I wanted you to be the first to know :mrhappy:

It will take a while to go through the shots so it may not be posted until tomorrow morning :wink:

Cheers

Boss..?

Hmmm??

leg77_000.jpg

BOSS!

Wazzup? :wink: It's Sharon! :wub (Looks a lot better soft focus!!)

leg77_001.jpg

I was enjoying that sleep.

It's early morning and Sharon has arrived in the??.. in the? Its a Nardi Riviera :shock: I heard I was getting a forked tail, I hadn't banked on this! It's like taking your Rolls Royce in for a service and getting a Ford Ka as a loaner!

leg77_002.jpg

Here's our flight plan, and a cunning one it is too!

We will be leaving the Queen and Prince Philip back in Uganda flying over most of Lake Victoria into Tanzania. Over another huge lake, Lake Tanganyika (Spoken like a local Mut!) dropping into FLKY Kasaba Bay for some fuel and a comfort break. This finds us in Zambia. Off we fly again over the South Eastern most tip of the DRC, back into Zambia again then descending into the Westernmost province of Zimbabwe and into Victoria Falls FVFA. Sounds easy doesn't it!

fplan.jpg

Ok that's bigged up the flight as much as I can. let's get outta here.

leg77_003.jpg

Just taxiing to the active, Sharon is on comms.

leg77_130.jpg

One notch on the flaps upto 60KIAS an easy off with derated power, she's surprisingly responsive.

leg77_137.jpg

Here we see the gear retracting into the the bow, with all these lakes around the boat may just come in handy.

leg77_142.jpg

Leaving Uganda behind us and just checking the GPS for the direction as there is no auto pilot.

leg77_143.jpg

Sharon's other job is to look after the baton. (No comments Dai!)

leg77_144.jpg

Sunburst!

leg77_145.jpg

We're just approaching the southern edge of Lake Victoria, looking at the map confirms we are over Tanzanian territory now.

leg77_147.jpg

For the enthusiast the engine is a Continental IO-470-P with a 3 blade Hartzell HCA3X20-5L/L8433-6B :mrhappy:

leg77_148.jpg

GTA Clue: Tanzania!

leg77_150.jpg

I had to include this shot, I drifted off East this was over Lake Rukwa not far from our first stop. It is not edited, the water colour was stunning.

leg77_149.jpg

Sharon is just going to confirm our approach.

leg77_151.jpg

Were going to land on Lake Tanganyika as they have a waterport refuelling facility at Kasaba Bay. (I made that bit up!!)

leg77_152.jpg

Held in an orbit to let traffic pass.

leg77_153.jpg

Setting things up for splash down...

leg77_154.jpg

.....Including lowering the floats.

leg77_158.jpg

Checks done, flaps full slowing to 50KIAS now throttle back to idle and gently pull the nose up.

leg77_160.jpg

Engaging prop reverser, slowing real fast!

leg77_167.jpg

Fuel on board, just taking care of the neccessary.

leg77_168.jpg

Firing her up, only another 3 hours to go.

leg77_172.jpg

Yes I am reversing out, need to point the nose windward.

leg77_173.jpg

Checking the map again

leg77_179.jpg

This wide shot shows off the weather nicely.

leg77_182.jpg

You can see the floats stowed.

leg77_183.jpg

Needless to say the weather closed in.

leg77_189.jpg

And yes there was lightning!

leg77_190.jpg

Having out run the storm we can see the falls ahead at our eleven o' clock.

leg77_197.jpg

Scanning the falls @ over a mile wide is quite an experience.

leg77_199.jpg

Under Victoria Falls Bridge! (Sorry John)

leg77_201.jpg

Twice as high as Niagara, the mighty Zambezi! (Get on with it.. Ed!)

leg77_202.jpg

Floats down just in case but we are not landing here, I hear Panos is in town waiting for me, the last thing we want is a crazed Greek on our hands!!

leg77_203.jpg

Sun is low in the sky now turning toward FVFA

leg77_206.jpg

There's the runway, the airport is not that far from the Falls.

leg77_210.jpg

On final approach, number 1 with one behind.

leg77_213.jpg

Not much different to landing on water except gear down and about 60 KIAS.

leg77_216.jpg

After a uneventful landing we're off the active making our way to the ramp.

leg77_219.jpg

Cold and dark, enjoying the remnants of the day :wub :help:

leg77_220.jpg

leg77_221.jpg

Welcome to Victoria Falls International. I hope you enjoyed this flight and the geography lessons!.

atwc_baton.png Over to you Panos!

Cheers

Mut, that was really, really excellent. What a neat little airplane. Had never seen or heard of that. It appears Sharon was on good behavior and that the baton has arrived unscathed. Good flight, very interesting.

John (posted from self-impozed exile in North Carolina, where there's frost on the ground)

Yes it is unusual! and real good fun to fly when Sharon is around.

From the developers website -

The classy looking Riviera amphibian is "Seabee" in Italian style... Built by Nardi and Siai-Marchetti, supposedly only 23 were built during the early 1960ies by Siai-Marcheti, the majority of them being sold to America. As every Italian design, it is built to go fast. It seats 4 people including the pilot, the reversible propeller gives it superb manoeuvrability in water (and taxi). It is a high-wing amphibian aircraft with double tail fin and pusher propeller.

Download here-

http://www.mario.wspilots.com/FN333.htm

Cheers

What a bonny boat, eh, Joe? And such a charming passenger - I wonder who introduced you (mutters off!)? What do you say, when the Master pulls another fabulous flight out of the bag? Everything from the map to the dialogue was A.C.E. - thanks for sharing! :yes:

Cheers - Dai. :wink: