Leg 8 - OMDB -> UKBB Completed [V long post!]

Dawn in Dubai.

Delayed by Fog

Yep, the gang at Eastern did a great job getting her ready but we are grounded buy the forces of nature.

Here's today's headline from the Khaleej Times

DUBAI/SHARJAH — Vehicular traffic in Dubai and Sharjah are badly affected this morning as a result of heavy fog that has enveloped the two cities.

The fog, which developed in the wee hours will persist untill well after sunrise, and has also affected the air traffic, with all flights being slightly delayed. However, according to the flight information desk attendant at the Dubai International Airport, no flights are cancelled due to the foggy conditions and flight operations will resume as soon as the visibility increases above 200 metres.

4c5.jpg

Taken from 33rd level Emirates Towers

A weatherman at the Sharjah International Airport's weather office said that heavy fog was not unusual in this part of the season in the UAE, and the conditions are likely to persist, especially just before and some time after sunrise.

“The weather has been warm for a longer period this year, and that has added to the foggy mornings as the climate cooling down,

Not only have we been delayed the arrival airport has been changed from Odessa UKOO to Kiev - Boryspil State International Airport UKBB due to lack of scenery at Odessa!

Weather reports are looking good for today so let's hope we get off the ground and shots will be posted tomorrow.

Cheers

Not only have we been delayed the arrival airport has been changed from Odessa UKOO to Kiev - Boryspil State International Airport UKBB due to lack of scenery at Odessa!

Phew, that's a relief. I saw the post title and thought my eyes were playing up - I was sure it had said UKOO yesterday :yes: :dance:

Phew, that's a relief. I saw the post title and thought my eyes were playing up - I was sure it had said UKOO yesterday :yes: :dance:

that would be my fault then Dave. As an alternative airport, i suggested UKBB not only because its home to Antonov Airlines, but also Volga-Dnpre and the AN124 and often the An225 (although mostly she's housed very near by at Antonov Airport, UKKM) - and as you'll know dave, my hangar's full of Russian birds - so here to legs 8 and 9, the Russian Adenture!!

Sorry again for the delay looks as though its going to be a day longer than I thought so tomorrow night is the ETA for Kiev :dance:

thats cool here. gives me a chance to think of a destination for leg 9!!!

on a different note, i finally managed to get the Odessa scenery if you want it - 24MB mind

The good news is I have made the flight, landed literally 5 minutes ago in Kiev with the baton. It was a lovely day in Dubai, quite a lot colder in Kiev.

That was a long flight 1911 nm !

Bad news is I've got 113 shots totalling 87.1Mb :dance:

So I am not sorting through them tonight! Although here's what it was like when the fog lifted!

flight219.jpg

I will post the shots tomorrow so Simi I hope you are up for the next leg!

btw, I wouldn't mind the Odessa scenery perhaps you mail me and we'll see how I can get a copy. Or just mail it to me if you can!

Cheers

The good news is I have made the flight, landed literally 5 minutes ago in Kiev with the baton. It was a lovely day in Dubai, quite a lot colder in Kiev....................I will post the shots tomorrow so Simi I hope you are up for the next leg!

btw, I wouldn't mind the Odessa scenery perhaps you mail me and we'll see how I can get a copy. Or just mail it to me if you can!

Cheers

indeed i will be ready, and i've just the plane for the leg too the venerable Tupolev Tu-114. As for the destination, how does Terahn and Mehrabad International Airport (OIII) sound for a destination?

Ok here's the shots of my flight.

L1011 from Dubai to Kiev, there's quite a few shots and you will notice some edits. That's mostly because I am off work today and I got bored.

Not much commentary, hopefully the shots speak for themselves and are no too "samey" :dance:

Here we are on the apron just pushed back. The temperature is 32°c the QNH is 1014 CAVOK

flight223.jpg

I'm looking forward to the flight, it's about time I got my type rating up to date.

flight228.jpg

At the hold for 30L, they have re-openoped this runway today due to the backlog.

flight231.jpg

Lined up, waiting for the 744 to clear before we wind her up.

flight233.jpg

We're rolling. a spotter at the other end of the runway got this telephoto shot.

flight237.jpg

A bumpy run up to the rotate we're light as all the cargo we have is a baton!

flight241.jpg

Smeagol must be down there somewhere.

flight242.jpg

Our SID today is follow runway heading then turn left 10 miles out!

flight243.jpg

Dubai now just becoming a memory.

flight244.jpg

Inbound traffic doesn't bother us.

flight247.jpg

At he top end of the Persian Gulf, we've got permission to overfly Iran.

flight257.jpg

Turning at waypoint.

flight258.jpg

Meanwhile, homing in on us is an F-16 scrambled from Al Basrah, unsure who we are.

flight270.jpg

Hey, positive id, it's the Mutley's Around the World Challenge, you guy's are legend!

flight271.jpg

On our way, another couple of hours to go.

flight272.jpg

The Black Sea looking well, surprisingly blue!

flight288.jpg

At this point I would have been planning to drop in to Odessa but we're still at FL310

flight293.jpg

Now we're descending.

flight296.jpg

Pretty bad turbulence, the altimeter is jumping up and down like a mad gorilla.

flight300.jpg

Some cu nimbs are flashing all around but no rain.

flight301.jpg

We're out of the cloud but still bumpy.

flight304.jpg

Another turn on our STAR.

flight305.jpg

The snow is still laying after a blizzard last week.

flight308.jpg

At last the gear in transit.

flight313.jpg

Three greens and landing configuration.

flight314.jpg

Looking out over the wing at the Dniper River. (So Google Earth says!)

flight315.jpg

They even have ILS here! (American Joke)

flight316.jpg

No accounting for those crosswinds though.

flight317.jpg

Bumpty bump smoke, we're down a few rivits less.

flight320.jpg

Spoilers, RT, brakes, everything hanging out.

flight321.jpg

She's slowing nicely now, time to retract.

flight322.jpg

Waiting to meet the Mayor Leonid Chernovetsky, who has laid on a reception for us. Now where's Simi?

flight325.jpg

If you got this far well done you really are a glutton for punishment.

Good luck to Simi on leg 9.

Cheers

It made me chuckle :dance:

But now those were amazing :-) Your an inspiration to us all Joe!!

Don't you love how they quicly put the runway back together for Mr.Mutley :yes:

I think somethings happened to my B744F...Maybe that AF ate it!

Keep an eye out on the posts where the requests will be posted then you can make a post suggesting a location you would like to fly to. :nervious:

I would very much like to see the baton pass through Riga, so i can take it to Tel Aviv (or Tel Aviv so i can take it somewhere else)

By the Way, Mutley, you have post.

Thanks Fred, so have you :dance:

There's no reason why you cannot take the baton to Riga or Tel Aviv.

Or perhaps some kind member could fly to one of these airports and you could do a link between to the two :nervious:

Will Tel alviv accomodate a 744? If so, i would love to do leg 10.

It will. Lufthansa are regular users of the Airport using their A340-600 and 744's.

BA also fly their 777's in.

I might be able to fly from OIII to Jeddah, in an Iran Air 727, but I may not be able to fly it until Monday.

I have a strange way for flying, I don’t know if anyone else does this but I fly form destination to destination, never departing from a random spot in the world. (So if I land in Cairo, I take off form Cairo next, not from Chicago). Exceptions are made form airports that are close together. I also only fly real world schedules. And so if I take part in the round the world then I would like to follow this way of flying.

Right now I’m stuck in Perpignan (LFMP) for ERJ conversion training. :dance: I also have a bit of work to do on some reviews, that I would like to get finished for tomorrow. My quickest route to Tel Aviv right now is via Manchester or Stansted, and my quickest route to Merahbad is via Manchester, then CDG.

It might mean I don’t actually get the chance to take part in the trip until we reach the USA, although that depends on how much time we spend in Europe. Let’s not forget that we missed out a load of cities that we could have visited. (Frankfurt, Madrid and Paris to name a few)

It is worth saying however that we haven’t been to South Africa yet. OIII could be an ideal spot to launch a flight to Africa from.

Its not like we have a shortage of pilots anyway :nervious: