Wow! New Chart Types at Skyvector.com

Superficially nice, and done "in the style of" US Sectionals (which are not the clearest of charts), but there's an awful lot of missing data. Just a quick glance at the UK shows lots of important airspace missing, very few airfields etc. Probably fine for IFR & airways, but poor for VFR.

A fair first effort, but put it side by side with SkyDemon, and there's just no contest.

Skydemon is payware, however, and Skyvector allows free access. I just can't bring myself to pay for a subscription to something that's keeping itself up to date with the RW when I'm flying in a static (mostly) circa 2006 world.

The new chart types are all marked beta and they acknowledge that there is a lot of missing and wrong data. They are asking for updates from users but are saying not to use them for RW navigation - kind of an odd twist there. It almost looks like they are playing to the sim users by putting these out there. The problem with using Skyvector for FS in the past was that it was US only - it looks like they're closing that hole at least.

I'm not arguing one is better than the other, just noting that Skyvector has something new, free and potentially useful for FS users.

John

• 2 weeks later...