Leg 81: Dakar [GOOY] -->> Tenerife South [GCTS]

Sorry for the delay chaps we had a no show from AP1 :roll:

So hotfoot from the filmstage I have arrived with the star, the JF Lockheed P38J. This is Lt. C. Robert Anderson's P-38 Virginia Marie as it looked in late 1944 and has the addition of dive recovery flaps.

We find ourselves in Dakar, home of the famous Dakar rally, formally the Paris-Dakar.

Agent D.G.O.R was long gone, back to Norn Iron to carry on his studies, now that's was I call dedication :mrhappy:

The weather here in Dakar is a comfortable 26°C, humidity at 21% so very comfortable as I carry out my final pre-flight checks

P38vid278.jpg

Now starting the contra-rotating props bringing the 1325Hp to my command

P38vid284.jpg

Taxiing to the active, there's a Monarch just landed, no more due so we're off straight away.

P38vid288.jpg

Goodbye Léopold Sédar Senghor, named after the famous Senegalese poet.

P38vid292.jpg

There's a complicated SID to follow (not!) it's straight out to sea and keep going!

P38vid293.jpg

A lot of the P38's have some great nose-art, meet Virginia Marie :wub

P38vid294.jpg

There's a very detailed VC, the TrackIR is invaluable here, the canon button does work!

P38vid295.jpg

Climbing above the lower light clouds.

P38vid296.jpg

GOOY and the African mainland is behind us, Martyn will bring us back in leg 83.

P38vid298.jpg

Just passing the "jutty out bit" on the west coast of Mauritania. GQPP in the distance.

P38vid304.jpg

Now another 350 miles over the sea :bored:

P38vid305.jpg

Ok so you were bored, so was I! Here's our first view of Tenerife. Above the left prop you can see the dormant volcano Teide.

P38vid306.jpg

Being awestruck at the sight I snapped back to reality, just entering a dive, far better than a descent!

P38vid307.jpg

As you can see from the GPS this was literally direct from GOOY.

P38vid308.jpg

Turning onto final.

P38vid310.jpg

OK, it's go around, they have changed the runway.

P38vid313.jpg

You guessed it, a great opportunity to explore :dance:

P38vid316.jpg

[Wiki] At 3,718 metres (12,198 ft) above sea level, and approximately 7,500 metres (25,000 ft) above the adjacent sea bed, Teide is the highest mountain in Spain and the highest mountain in any Atlantic island.[/wiki]

P38vid319.jpg

There's a huge plateau and crater.

P38vid320.jpg

Downwind, sort of, there's my destination.

P38vid322.jpg

Brrr.. it's chilly but the views!

P38vid323.jpg

The summit, dormant since 1909. Isla de la Gomera in the distance, easy to see from up here.

P38vid325.jpg

Diving again.

P38vid327.jpg

Nose cam.

P38vid328.jpg

Yes I'm over-speed but having a great time.

P38vid329.jpg

Having bled the speed off the dive ready to turn final.

P38vid330.jpg

Gear coming down.

P38vid332.jpg

Trimmed up, ready to land.

P38vid333.jpg

Target in site.

P38vid334.jpg

Another wind farm, they've got bigger props than me (Just!)

P38vid336.jpg

Over the threshold, the aircraft in the distance will be the next one in.

P38vid337.jpg

Perfect conditions but as usual left of centre.

P38vid339.jpg

We're down, and just about ready for a Sangria! Hola Tenerife.

P38vid340.jpg

Parked up with engines off, just look at all those holiday aircraft!

P38vid343.jpg

Safely here, the baton is waiting Simi!

atwc_baton.png

Cheers

Wow! Spectacular aircraft and great scenery. Somehow I knew you'd like the one with all the blue on it, and the nose art didn't hurt either. Nice job, Mr. Mutley sir.

Isn't it a shame to realize that the real Virginia Marie is probably doddering away in a nursing home somewhere? ...and that the real aircraft is probably 10,000 beer cans. Not that I have anything against beer, but P-38s are better.

You should have turned on the cabin heat knob.

Thanks for being the substitute pilot too. It's a shame that it was necessary, but I can't fault the results.

John

A fantastic set of shots Joe, really brightened up my first day of exams :bored: It's freezing here, I'm starting to miss the pleasantly warm African winter weather :mrhappy:

Really beautiful aircraft and great scenery at both airports too - I loved the ones around Tenerife :-)

Dave

I guess it's all been said, Joe - but thanks for Leg 81! Loved the dives - I expect you enjoyed making them too - sceneries excellent too. Thanks for the pointer to the dormant volcano bit - I'll Wiki that later - and thanks for standing in (Who's the trooper now? - Ed!)

Cheers - Dai. :mrhappy:

an excellent post ther mut, gotta love that P38, especially with nose-art like that!!

I'm on my way to the cockpit straight after typing this.... my number 1 says we're actually going to be in one of those holiday aircraft you passed on the ramp - o joy :mrhappy: