Air Haul Company for sale, One careful owner.......

....... and a succession of useless pilots.

Life started to look rough when a nice, breezy sort of woman, called "Summer", thought it helpful to land my shiny new 'Van at a Helipad somewhere in Fjiordland. The tarmac strip only 3 nm's away, doesn't seemed to have been considered an option! She's still in ICU so no idea what it was all about. Otago Helicopters say they are sending round a couple of mechanics to visit with me, "to have a quiet word" !

Sitting at my desk, well, to be honest, 2 planks on an oil drum, considering how to break the news to the National New Zealand Bank; a somewhat unseemly middle aged woman strode in with a crash of the door. (Barely wide enough for her shoulders.)

"You hiring"? she demanded.

A slight shake of my head was taken as an invitation to park her over-sized backside on aforementioned planks...

"You got something against Aussie lesbo's? Cos if you have, the Discrimination Committee's one call away?

You rated for that?" I inquired quietly, thumbing through the window at my DC3.

A derogatory snort followed by, " My feckin' oath boy, wot a piece of crap" as she thankfully left, leaving me none the wiser.

While I mused on the iniquities of the World and the misfortune that can follow a poor businessman, a raised Aussie drawl floated through my office window...

"You stoopid Kiwi pricks better stop throwing my cargo around!"

It was then that the fight started. The delegation from the NZ Cargo Handlers Union put their claim in for medical expenses and damages, before they had me blacklisted.

• 2 weeks later...

A tad out of character for a second if I may?

My Company progresses despite my early setbacks. But I have a question please.........

The jobs board hands out long haul flights from New Zealand to Aus. which must be way out of reach of my Caravans.

What's with that? They looking to deep six my "Summer the Ozzie Lesbo"? A sort of gender alternative Amelia?

A bit like the Helipad she landed at, except wetter?

AH mostly provides flights within the range you specify but like so many parts of it, there is a significant element of randomness added in. Some of the jobs are going to be much shorter or much longer than what you gave as the AC range. As with so many things in AH, you have to be on your toes to look carefully at the details of a job before you accept it. It may very well be that the distance, weight, runway length, runway surface type and the job expiration date/time would preclude you being able to complete the assignment, even though AH will happily let you accept it if you choose to. It's up to you to not let yourself be snookered.

Another factor in long range jobs is that you can make intermediate stops for fuel if you wish. That may be problematic for over-water flights, but maybe not.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Could I have some advice please, from one of you long-term Haulers?

Is there a limit to the number of hours an AI Jockey can fly before he starts doing damage to my ships?

I have 2 Airbus's with 4 pilots sort of alternating between day and night. All pilots are Captain 100%, weather is good and all strips have lights.

Started taking some major damage and I have had to refuse to take calls from my Insurance Agent.

Any help appreciated.......... Thank you.

No, AI are fatigue proof in AH. The higher their rating the less chance they will bend your aircraft and the probably severity is lower, but it never goes to zero. Even the best of them are capable of having a bad day. The occurrence of aircraft and cargo damage are just random events, not related to WX, or anything external (except, I think, aircraft condition), with the probability of an event and the probable severity of the event tending lower as the AI pilot gets more experienced.

John

• 3 weeks later...

My ancient fleet of DC 3's with which I grace the skies of New Zealand is turning into a bit of an embarrassment! The Pilots whinge, my customers bitch about the delays, etc etc.

I decided to invest in a couple of Basler BT 67's. (When I say "invest", I use the term loosely as they are a free download!). Imagine my amazement when I found that they only take some 2k+ of cargo as against my ordinary Daks which take 6k+

Wonder if one of you Old Timers could tell me why that is? And......... what aircraft could I get (download) that will carry around 6K cargo and still put up with my cowboy pilots jamming them onto grass farm tracks?

A case of champagne will be dispatched by Air Work Ltd to all half sensible replies.

Copy in the [General] and the [Fuel] sections of the aircraft.cfg file. I suspect it's larger fuel capacity but that will let us figure it out. Sometimes the developers just get it wrong, and the payware guys are usually no better than the freeware ones.

John

I have the Virtavia Caribou. Flies well, crappy panel. An add-on pop-up fixes most of that. Haven't imported it into AH so don't know about cargo capacity.

Aircraft.cfg is a plain text file. Each aircraft in FS has one. In FSX it's normally found...

[Main FSX Folder] -> Sim Objects -> Airplanes -> [specific Airplane Folder]

Open the file with Notepad. Don't make any changes to it. If you accidently make changes, close the file without saving.

There are sections within the file that begin with labels in square brackets, e.g. [General]. I erred in the post above. The two sections you should copy and paste into a post here are [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE] and [fuel]. I can work out the cargo capacity from that data and may be able to suggest a fix for the low cargo capacity.

John

Thanks for that John, but if you don't mind I'll give that a miss. I am really nervous about tootling around inside FSX. Have had one uninstall already, and you know the dramas attached to that mission.

It was a freebie anyway and is a nice addition to the FSX Fleet even if a bust for AH.

I'll take a chance that the C-7 hire cost to Capacity ratio works. It's only about the cost of a round of golf so I can live with it if it doesn't work out in AH.

Appreciate the help though! Many thanks, Richard

Richard, The BT67 has 2000lbs payload - with maximum fuel. Max fuel is only a consideration for your ai pilots because they always fly with max fuel.

The max take off weight and max load of the BT is much higher than the default DC3.

Go here: http://www.baslertur...erformance.html for the comparison.

The FSX BT67 is configured with the long range tanks which obviously brings down the useful load.

If you want I can send you an changed .cfg file without the long range tanks - or alternatively I can post the changes you need to make and how to make them here.

I was nervous when I first started editing files. Making a copy of the original file is the cure. I'm sure you have done this before with other stuff and it is just copy and pasting things. If not follow the below instructions:

One click on the file highlights it.

Keystroke Ctrl+C copies it

Keystroke Crtl+V pastes a new one in the same folder.(Windows will rename it with the OriginalFileName-Copy)

Thats it, you can now edit the original file(right click on the file and click on the Open file with Note pad in the dropdown boxes) with the knowledge that there is now a copy of that same file that is your safety net. Editing sections is easily made by highlighting the new section of text you want to use and copying it using the keystroke mentioned above(Ctrl+C) then you highlight the section you would like to replace and hit Ctrl+V to paste it. File has now been changed and just has to be saved before closing it.

If you have made any mistakes you can delete the file and rename the safety copy you made. Slowly double click the file to show the edit box or right click on the file and hit Rename in the dropdown box. Rename it by taking away the -Copy part of the filename which will revert the file back to it's original name. I do this so much that I rename all my copies of files "FileNameOriginal" so I know that this is the original file because sometime I make multiple copies when making changes. Hope this helps you on your way to a new and exciting part of the FSX experience.

:D A copy a day will keep the PC doctor away.

It is also frequently possible to improve the cargo capacity of aircraft in FS by reducing the empty weight in the aircraft.cfg file. I'll get the Caribou stats and post them here. If the BT 67 is freeware, tell me where to get it and I'll work that one over too.

John

I imported the Virtavia Caribou into AH. Cargo capacity is 4390. As Kasper points out, that's only a hard and fast limit for AI use. In self-flown flights you can fly with less fuel and more cargo.

John

Thanks Kasper, that's most helpfull. I think though I will let the sleeping dog lie. It is quite a nice aircraft in it's own right anyway even if not a lot of use for my current passion for AH.

If anyone has the AH lease amount and cargo capacity for Virtavia C-7 Caribou I'd like to hear about it, please. If not I might just 'fly a kite' and buy it and see. It looks a good mount for slipping down the sides of the Southern Alps (NZ) and dropping into some of those mountain strips!

thank you for the answers, Richard

sorry about this............didn't think to turn the page and see the other posts! Duh! (It is first thing Sunday morning down under if that is an acceptable excuse?)

Thanks for the Caribou Cargo capacity John. What is the AH monthly leasing cost, please?

Thank you also Brett, for that comprehensive reply. I might give that a go.