Hi all.

I spent some time up at ESSA today playing with my camera. I'm still sorting the pictures but I thought I should share my favorite shot (so far) before I head of for some much needed sleep.

Expect more shots in the next few days.

Old workhorse meets new workhorse.

dsc0177fz.jpg

Right next to the place where I took the shots there's two old Caravelles parked up. I found the one in SAS colors an appropriate back drop to it's modern replacement (737-800)

As a side note, the other caravelle has a registration that fits one of our members like a glove, but I'll fill you all in on that later.

Now it's time to hit the sack, before Kasper wakes us up again.

Is that FSXI, Micke?!? Surely tou must have photo-shopped that screen shot... :whis:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Thanks guys. The rest of the shots will be up soon, just need to type up some comments to them.

Well, Dai.. not FSX, but who knows, I might be testing MS Flight :rofl:

Well then, you wanted more, so here's some more from my little trip to ESSA yesterday.

For once ATC had decided to use runway 19L for landing operations, and given the location of the official lookout point at Arlanda I just had to bring my camera out there. You stand with a perfect elevation right in between the middle and inner marker, with prehaps 50 meters offset from the centerline.

The weather was good, but the winds were very hard from the south. I had the camera mounted on my tripod, but was afraid to let go off the camera for fear of the wind tripping the tripod over.

Being noon on a sunday in the middle of the big vacation month, so traffic was sparse but I managed to catch 6 planes on short final.

First some scenery from the airport.

The "new" tower, but it's been in service for a while now.

001essatower.jpg

A few of the taxiways leading out to runway 01R/19L. The one going from right to left and continuing down to the other end of the runway is taxiway W.

002generalscenery.jpg

Just a random car driving down taxiway W.

003airportstaffcar.jpg

The old 747 rebuilt into a hostel.

004jumbohostel.jpg

But lets get going with the planes

The first one was coming in to land as I got out of the car, so I didn't have time to change the lens. So these are shot with the default 18-55 mm lens.

First one in was the 737-800 in my teaser from last night. Considering the high winds it looked like they had a bit of a bouncy ride.

005lnrczsas737800.jpg

Getting closer to the ground

006lnrczsas737800.jpg

And touch down with a bit of smoke

007lnrczsas737800.jpg

Taxiing down W for the international terminal

008lnrczsas737800.jpg

Close up of the nose

009lnrczsas737800.jpg

Next one coming in. Just liked the lights on this one. And for these I had changed into the 55-200 mm lens to get a bit closer to my pray.

010lnrpesas737600.jpg

Another SAS 737, but this one was a smaller version

011lnrpesas737600.jpg

Whole of the right side in view. On the full size version I can almost make out the individuals inside the windows

012lnrpesas737600.jpg

Some heat showing over the trees.

013lnrpesas737600.jpg

And another puff of smoke on touch down.

014lnrpesas737600.jpg

Next up was an A321 from Finnair, doing a short stop on it's way from Bergen to Helsinki.

015ohlzbfinnaira321.jpg

Getting closer to the ground

016ohlzbfinnaira321.jpg

Good timing on the touch down on this one. The smoke is just showing..

017ohlzbfinnaira321.jpg

Taxiing by me on W

018ohlzbfinnaira321.jpg

One more SAS 737-600 coming in

019lnrpasas737600.jpg

Really liked this one, with the light shining of the top and the shadow just reaching the tarmac.

020lnrpasas737600.jpg

Heading for the terminal

021lnrpasas737600.jpg

This one is my top-pick, and the reason for it is that I really didn't think I could get a real world shot of an airborn plane from this angle. It just has a FSX screenshot feel to it...

022lnrmrsasmd81.jpg

And I'm sure everyone picked out that it was a MD-81 from SAS

023lnrmrsasmd81.jpg

And one more passing me on W

024lnrmrsasmd81.jpg

Last one to come in for landing before I had to get back home was this 757-200 from Icelandair

025tffiuicelandair75720.jpg

And this one also went down W for the terminal.

026tffiuicelandair75720.jpg

Now, in the teaser I mentioned the two Caravelles parked on the other side of taxiway W from the lookout spot.

Here's SE-DAF, the one in the teaser, still painted in an old SAS livery. I do doubt that these will ever get airborn again, but I think it's possible to visit these for a trip down memory lane for those that remember them.

027sedafsassudse210cara.jpg

The second one is now painted in a special liverey for TheCaravelleClub, but of more interest to us Hangarians the registraion of this gal is SE-DAI ;) What do you say Dai.. any relations here??

028sedailecaravelleclub.jpg

Actually, this one has made it into the FS world, and a FS9 version of it can be found on AVSIM...

That's all folks, hope you liked the shots.

That's a great photo show Micke, you had a good position there.

I enjoyed every one but my favourite is the Scandinavian 737-683 LN-RPE with the heat over the trees and the hotel in the background, now my desktop background! :icon_thumbup:

Hi guys, sorry about my late reply. Vacation + good weather = little online time :)

Thanks for your kind comments, glad you enjoyed my shots.

@Ian: If I do get the chance I promise to share the shots, but sadly it seems that landings on RWY 19L are rather uncommon.

• 2 weeks later...