A mission..... should you choose to accept it

So I'm heading south to Bodmin from Blackpool in the UK when FSX suddenly freezes. Picture stops but I can still hear the aircraft. I have to ctrl/alt/delete out of it. I try again and the same thing happens at the same spot.... and again and again. I try flying around that spot and I have no problems so I start experimenting and discover there is an invisible 4 mile long line which I can't cross without FSX freezing up. If you look at the map below you can see the pink track line that shows I can happily fly all around the area without a prob until I cross that invisible line, which I've marked in blue. I tried this at 8000ft and 2000ft with the same results. Does anyone know what could cause this? I've marked the two nearest airfields for reference if anyone wants to test it......

Freezeline.png

Almost certainly a bad piece of scenery.  If you have any add-on scenery covering that area, unclick it in the FSX scenery list and try again.  Disable the add-on scenery layers one at a time until the effect goes away.  The last one disabled is the culprit.

John

I have ORBX England installed but do not see the X7BR airport there or any airport there for that matter. Took off from Welshpool and flew around that whole area without a glitch. Nice area for some low and slow. 

After reading Dai's post I see that there is a freeware Breidden And Camphill scenery that has explicit instructions included that need to be followed. I agree and would guess that it could be the culprit. Good luck. :)

Heh! You're right. It was beginning to look like it could be caused by stong radio waves from the Criggion Radio station just five miles away but I found the real culprit..... kinda.

I narrowed it down to my 'A Day at the Farm' addon. If I disable it the prob goes away. Re enable it and the prob comes back. I spent hours trying to find the exact file within that folder that's causing the trouble but to no avail. I removed the files in blocks from the folders and kept testing to see if the removal of a group of files got rid of the issue but it didn't. I even got to the stage where all the files were removed, scenery AND texture files, but it makes no difference. The only way I can make the prob go away is by disabling the addon completely by unchecking it in FSX.

I hope there's scones with that cuppa. :salute:

You were heading into Dai country there.

Be scared,.......be very scared. :huh: 

Do not under any circumstances, take the offer of a nice cuppa and some Barra Brith, you will not be seen for a long, long time and you will have blisters from all the log chopping you will be shackled to. :whis: 

Have fun. :D  :P 

Sorry Brett, I missed your post earlier.. You're right, Briedden isn't a default airfield. I have it as part of the "A day on the Farm" addon and have tested that. To be honest, I wasn't convinced that was the issue because earlier in the day I'd actually flown in and out of Briedden without a hitch and would have thought I wouldn't have been able to do that if it was that airfield that was causing the issue. Though to double check, the Briedden and Welshpool files were the first ones I removed from the folder when hunting for the prob but it didn't make any difference.

Lol Brian. I once ate a sprout without holding my nose so I can handle anything those Welshman can throw at me. Besides, I need to go pay 'em back for all that bloody rain they keep sending my way.

Hi Steve,

Dai's ok actually.......for a Welshman anyway.

@Dai, I'll look for the fiver in the post. :D

@Steve, I know what you mean about the rain. I was born and brought up in Shropshire, so had my fair share of it.

I was born at RAF Cosford as my mother was in the WAAF at the time.

I love the Midlands. Very green. Especially where we lived.

WE later moved to Donnington, near Wellington. We lived on camp at COD Donnington as my father was in the Army.

Happy days. :thum:

Oh I have no doubt Dai is a good egg but he'd worry if I didn't take the opportunity to throw some mud in his direction as an Englishman. He'd think there was summin wrong with me otherwise. We have a Welshman, a Scotsman and an Englishman. Where's the Oirish representative?

Born at Cosford, eh? That's just 30 mins drive from me. It is pretty green around these parts, although if you go just 30 mins south of me you start hitting the black country. Wolverhampton, Dudley, Birmingham, etc. Shropshire is a  very nice county. You were lucky to be able to spend your childhood there, though I dare say you get plenty of good clean air up there in Bonnie Scotland. I've been there a few times over the years for one reason and another. Cities and the country. You got it all up there, mate.

Glad you sorted it out, Steve - shouldn't have been the masts, the last ones were pulled down in 2003...

As for the 'sprout' story, I know how you feel, we lived in East Anglia in the 70's. Do you have the same problem with leeks? I expect so!

And Thanks for the kind thoughts, Bro' - appreciated. As for the Irish rep, speak up, Chuck! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...