Crash at San Francisco

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not new news but came across this animated video and figured I would tack it up here.  

Started off bad and just got worse.   I have had a few of them over the years and thankful I don't carry real passengers.

Looks like the lawyers and PR folks are going to be working overtime for the foreseeable future. They did not ask for an agreement only a receipt, I wonder what the passengers lawyers recommended? 

Excellent AA training session video (FLY THE AEROPLANE) ... I fly FSX B737-800 in my twin cockpit with a friend, and we have at some time or other committed ALL of these errors ... !!! eg leaving A/T on during a "manual" landin, and wandering why we were not stopping!!!!

Also in my opinion most heavy iron landings ARE made with Auto-pilot (AND auto-throttle!!) off ... as I have witnessed when sitting-in in the cockpit during actual landings, and also on the many commercially available "cockpit videos"!

David

• 10 months later...

The NTSB has spoken on this crash.   In a nutshell, it come down to over-dependence and incorrect use of automation.  He tried to make the airplane fly the approach itself but inadvertently put it into a mode where it couldn't.  The check pilot let things get too far gone before calling for a go-around when it was no longer possible.

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/ntsb-blames-asiana-777-crash-pilot-actions?src=related&con=outbrain&obref=obnetwork

John

• 3 months later...