Really wadded that one up, didn't she.

@Brett, Crash got her nickname in her first few days working for me in AH. She sure could wheelbarrow that C172. I think I did repairs to the gear 10 times before she started to ease up. Another (my second hire) AI pilot got laid off (office work) for a few weeks until I gathered the information from Mutleys (JA) that it wasn't personal.

However, that's not to say there aren't good ones and bad ones. My latest hire hasn't bent any tin yet (knock on wood) and she's got 45 hours with the company.

I've got six now, one guy and five gals. I only hire 100% ers and then when I have a choice between two, I hire the cheapest. All newhires are from the CPL ME/IR or fATPL ranks. 

They all start on the RG 182 and progress upwards through the Beaver and the C-208 to the DC3's. If I don't have a DC3 to pass along, I lease one and hire another low-time pilot. 

Lately, however, I moved my #2 pilot up to a leased BT-67 (same runway requirements as a DC3, but larger capacity) instead of leasing another DC3. The pilots get a DC3 at approximately Captain rank. At that point they've been with me for over 100 hours and their aluminum bending habits have been studied. 

Works for me.

I gave up on trying to figure out who the bad pilots are...I have a relaxed HR approach in that I hire anyone with a 5 star rating and stick them in a rookie bird till they get at least 40 hrs of fly time on staff (because I have 79% pilots that rarely bend a plane and 100%ers that I am seriously considering firing after I get rookies up to their slots, so I don't rely on the percentages). I keep the new hires in the same plane till/if they graduate to Real Fleet to find glaringly bad pilots.

Rookie fleets are similar on East and West coast. BD-5s for cpl/me hires (to haul those pesky 50-400lb cargos that get generated by having BD-5Js in my fleet :P ), Turbo Otters for second lts or above if that is all that is available... 1rst lts and above jump into either P-38J, Bell 430, C-123, or Chinooks (1 of each on each coast). IF they don't break their rookie plane too often I let them move into a real planes from A321 up to C-141 if they are Captain or higher rank...Senior captains only fly the C-17s (6 so far), Training Captains only fly C-5A birds (2 so far).

And then I let the insurance company sort out the repair bills...because they do keep happening although never any serious wrecks, only fender benders for which I pay out of pocket for 1% fixes, and let the insurance take care of the expensive ones...still waiting to find out how long it takes to get a plane "blacklisted". A few  planes have 3 claims so far.

Oh, Hehe... and I keep one guy on staff for my Catharsis Pilot. I hire on a 2 or 3 star captain or higher (A high ranked blowhard with a crappy reputation) to represent a former boss of mine. I name him [boss's name] and assign him to every crap job I can find that keeps him flying for 60 hrs straight if possible for an entire month, crap job after crap job. I try to hand unload his jobs whenever timing works out so that "I get the credit for his work" (farking asshat boss, worst ever), and then right at payday I fire him and find a new pilot to jump into the by this time completely thrashed and repaired plane (often they fail jobs because he had to stall out somewhere to repair the plane mid-month...i don't care...I expect him to fail, miserably...hehe). Fun game in many ways. haha.

^

LMAO, Matt! And yet, everytime you run his arse into the ground pulling 60 hour shifts and fire him before he can have his fat paycheck AND steal the credit for his work, he keeps coming back at the start of every new month. It's like the movie Ground Hog's Day if it were sent straight to hell. 

I'd hate to ask what this boss did to you to warrant such abuse of his virtual self, but seeing as how all of us here at Mutley's are stand up guys, suffice it to say I know it's horrible enough for him to deserve it. 

LOL Matt, brilliant.  :D

I think I've only ever fired a crew for consistently botching jobs.  Never fired anyone for bending a machine 'cause in my books 'crap' happens.  Usually the repeat bender gets demoted to a less demanding machine...or they spend a week helping "Screamin' " Heidi in Dispatch and they are suddenly cured.