Leg Niner: Santa Maria (LPAZ) to Bermuda International (TXKF)

I got the nod from Micke via my blackberry and began sifting through charts.  Nineteen hundred and some odd nautical miles, the farthest I’d flown in some time. I’m used to the short hops flying cargo in the Hawaiian Islands so this was going to be a challenge on a few levels.

There it is, Santa Maria, or LPAZ, and there...I trace my finger west across the map...is Bermuda and the blue baton’s destination; Bermuda International or TXKF.  I sip some Irish whiskey.  Damn that’s a lot of blue, I mumble.  I can see Jo looking at me out of the corner of my eye, curious as ever.  I know she’ll want to come along and knowing that I’ll need her to lead the cabin crew somehow sets my mind at ease.  I shrug to myself.  She just has that effect on me.

“Which machine are we using for the challenge, darling?” she asks quietly, her soft Cambridge accent warm and lovely. Jo’s been with me for a long time, she knows the fleet almost as well as I do.  I pour us both another wee dram and knock the ashes out of my pipe before reloading it and lighting it.  It’s these quiet moments that I enjoy.  She waits, ever-patient.

“Well, I was thinking of the Cub actually.  But we need to get the baton to Bermuda before...”

“Chrimbo.” she interjects, “Idiot.”  Laughing quietly she sits back in the hotel chair and brushes a lock of brown hair from her eyes, “Come on you, seriously, which aircraft.  Tell me and I’ll get Jenna to ferry it to Santa Maria.”

“Alright.  Listen doll, we can’t take the Model 12 either as we’d be in the drink after about one third of the way.  I want to VFR this, low altitude, just for the extra challenge.  I won’t use a tube jetliner, mainly because AeroPac doesn’t own one, so that leaves the DC-6, eh.”

I sat back, watching Jo jot a few items down with pencil and then make a telephone call.  I blew pipe smoke towards the ceiling thinking of weather, hoping for clear skies.  We’d head to Santa Maria first thing and take the Model 12 to exchange with Jenna, one of my senior captains, for the DC-6.  Time to go find Andrew and the baton.

Enroute to find Andrew and the Blue Baton

ATWC5One.jpg

ATWC5two.jpg

Up before dawn, having checked with the REX weather office, filed a flight plan, cockpit checks done, AP settings in, realizing the fuel gauge is FUBAR.  Navigation TLAR set.

ATWC5three.jpg

ATWC5four.jpg

Final run-up.  Jo has everyone onboard comfortable and ready for take-off.  Tower gives us the thumbs-up.

ATWC5six.jpg

And we’re off, the baton is on its way!

ATWC5seven.jpg

Sun is up, REX is playing nice, breakfast service has started.

ATWC5eight.jpg

Having a look at my dodgy GPS...then out the window.  Yeah, TLAR baby.

ATWC5nine.jpg

Jo asking if anyone knows how to fly an airplane (I was just kidding-- Jo)

ATWC5ten.jpg

My backside and mind are almost numb.  Two hours.  (Bid on a short leg next time you numpty— love you, Jo)

ATWC5eleven.jpg

LAND Ho!     Quick, checklist.

ATWC5twelve.jpg

Not exactly centre line, but at least its at the 1500’ marker, eh.

ATWC5thirteen.jpg

Parked, crew cabin checks done, ready to hand off the coveted blue baton.

ATWC5fourteen.jpg

Thanks for reading my PIREP :D

Dave,

Great PIREP.  There is something beautiful about a nice big radial engine and nothing more gorgeous than four of them.  It was good to meet you in Santa Maria and to hand over "The Baton".  As I have a few more thousand miles, and then some, to go, I am personally opting for something a little faster across the Atlantic in my "Epic Adventure" series.

Cheers

Andrew

Great PIREP Dave...

I guess it was a good choice to pick the DC-6 over the Cub... although the Cub would have made for a very interesting flight  ;)

Can't help but wonder what Sharon thinks of all this competition.. First Andrew cuts her off for a duo, and now Jo enters the stage....

@Andrew: How about 6 radials then??

Thanks for picking up that long waterworld flight Dave and Jo. :hat: Excellent choice of aircraft, she looked great in the pic's and you landed a great PIREP too. Enjoyed the ride and Jo's service. :thum:  

Thanks again lads, it was a blast and I look forward to participating in many more (and eventually producing a more detailed PIREP).  My only real worry was fuel as for whatever reason (likely the transfer from FSX to P3D of the model) the fuel gauges failed to operate.  I had planned for the 1900+ nm's plus a 20 minute bingo in case I had been blown off course/bad headwind.  And then there is always the distraction that is Jo...

AeroPacific cabin crew uniforms:

Stewardess.jpg

(image from cabincrew.com)

AeroPacific inflight service- it's how we roll.

AeroPacService.jpg

(retro image TWA)

Man 'o man that in flight meal looks good. :yesa:  Remember when..............

Very much so...I can't speak for any other airline as all I fly now is WestJet and as a 'discount' air service you basically get "Bits n'Bites" (tiny packet of really horrid cereal based snack) or "Cookies" (usually some 'diet' biscuit that is cloyingly kack), watery coffee, tepid tea (it's an insult to tea really), some form of bottled water/juice.  Gone are the days of "fish" or "Beef"...I have no idea what they serve on Air Canada...somehow I'd tend to think roughly similar pap to WestJet.  Nothing like stuffing a sarny into a briefcase prior to boarding. :D 

Thanks for picking up that long waterworld flight Dave and Jo. :hat: Excellent choice of aircraft, she looked great in the pic's and you landed a great PIREP too. Enjoyed the ride and Jo's service. :thum:  

Oh, you think that is a long waterworld flight Brett... Just wait and see what's in store further along the route....**evil laughter**

Oh, you think that is a long waterworld flight Brett... Just wait and see what's in store further along the route....**evil laughter**

I am starting to wonder which of us is having the most fun here Mr. Evil one. :P

av-197.jpg