In the course of searching for real-world waypoints that are not in FSX I have the opportunity to scan a lot of real-world aviation charts and pubs, including STARS, DPs and RW flight routings. There is a surprising amount of humor (humour too) buried in these. I thought it might be interesting to have a thread for everyone to post the ones they might stumble across.

I'll start with these...

In Alabama, there's a waypoint named INBRD, and in northern Florida, one called RDNEK. In Colorado, I find one named BDROC. Having just been in Colorado, I can attest to the accuracy of that one. I think the Colorado state flower is a rock.

This morning while surveying the KOHOE2 STAR into the Denver area, I found two strings of waypoints that I don't think are accidental...

1) SPAWN MNNOW MRRAY MKREL PUFFR PIEKE HMRHD HERNG KOHOE SLMON - something fishy about that one.

2) Later in the same STAR we find.... DHATT FFFAT DOGGG DONTT BARRK.

Who says the FAA don't have a sense of humor?

John

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I've been working with terminal procedures lately I've seen another one.   PIGLT TWO STAR into KMCO and other Orlando airports has these waypoints which I believe line up with Disney items..

It's been a long time since we had a post here...   Looking at an airport near Okinawa (RORY) yesterday I found CASTR and POLUX; also LEXUS and PRIUS.     John

YBBN (SID)   MEAND, DADAN, DENIS, LILEE,  Famous test cricketers, for those unfamiliar with the game. YBBN (STAR) LEAKY, BOATS, SINK. YPDN (STAR) GATOR,BITES,WOKKI,HURTT, ALLOT.

HMRHD sounds like it could be painful to sit on!

That thought crossed my mind too but given the fish theme I figured they meant Hammerhead.

Sorry to pile in with that one...

Groan...

John

• 2 weeks later...

GINESS has one too many letters, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find something along those lines.

John

EDIT: Nope, guess not.

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/EI/waypoints.html

EDIT EDIT:

There's one called GINIS listed in the UK at N53.4608 W4.8581

EDIT Cubed:

It's in the Irish Sea, pretty much due East of Dublin but much closer to Wales.

There are some good ones in the link you provided, maybe even some I don't catch. Not exactly funnies but odd how they come up with them. Who is responsible for making up the waypoint names, is it the FAA all over the world?

GIPER- win one for the Gipper/Notra Dame

GOLF- Ireland is golf

KURUM- which I think is Old Irish for husband

TIPUR- us Irish do like to drink

TULLA- I think a town or a reference to Tullamore Dew, a great tasting whisky

I still find the combination of BIMBO and FUN I found on my way to Funchal in the ATWC humorous ....

And for a swede the fact that the intersection prior to BIMBO was the Swedish word for Cucumber (GURKA) made it even more "entertaining".... although I suspect that one was rather unintentional ;)

There is a waypoint, COMIC, near Stockton, California. Seems fitting, somehow, that it's in California. Funny place.

It is permissible to have duplicates as long as they are in different ATC jurisdictions. I see quite a lot of Real-World duplication of waypoint names.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...