Leg 36 - Adelaide to Ceduna

I have been in the country for the past few weeks flying special charters for my employer on behalf of Iluka Resources, they have a mineral mine near Ceduna that they are expanding rather rapidly so since it is the largest town around, we fly people, items and big wigs in there.  

When the Hanger bunch came around looking for folks to fly the baton, well I guess you could say I was in the right place at the right time.

Our flight plan today consists of the HAWKY3 departure and from there essentially direct to Ceduna, its a short flight, just a hair over 300 miles so we are planning close to 45 minutes in the air.

release_zpsc2594a28.jpg

When we got to the aircraft, it was cold and dark after maintenance hopefully corrected the fault in the left engine.

1_zps807467c2.jpg

Kick the battery on, start the APU and load the passengers and the ever important baton.

2_zps7f0029ae.jpg

6611 lbs of fuel in each wing, usually we tanker in fuel since Ceduna is little airport, we sometimes take 2-300 gallons just to foster the local economy, but we don't want to take all of the precious jet fuel. 

Today we were too heavy to tanker any extra fuel

3_zps719fcb19.jpg

After the ground crew got out of the way, we got our clearance to taxi to 5.  We were hoping to get 23 because it is closer, since 5 is a good jaunt around the airport from the GA parking, we killed the APU, got a taxi route of A2 A3 F4 F6 and started the taxi

taxiingout_zpse484cccb.jpg

Checked the flight controls on the way

flightcontroltest_zpsd0be2244.jpg

APU off, landing lights, strobes and bleeds on, flaps 5, ready for takeoff

lightson_zps951c65d7.jpg

and we're off!

away_zpsafb42c29.jpg

off_zpsaae53b93.jpg

off2_zpsf6051e44.jpg

The ol girl is definitely a chain smoker...

smoker_zpsa3edc86f.jpg

As we start our initial turn on the DP,we fly over the suburbs of Lonsdale and Blackwood and then we went direct HAWKY

starturn_zps8f4c6761.jpg

dpturn_zpsb8d1d213.jpg

As we climb out, since the NDB we need is a good distance still, we are using the GPS for the main navigation but we do have the NDB tuned in

She is a good looking classy ol girl, if she could talk, just imagine the stories!

goodlooker_zps94c07a4c.jpg

bay_zpsd2fe18c6.jpg

climbing_zps12056ad3.jpg

YIMB Kimba Airport is about 50 miles to the right, that is our enroute alternate today if things go south

alternate_zps3cd63562.jpg

We are landing 11 due to wind so might as well fly the NDB approach 

coastline_zps130370a5.jpg

We will cross the NDB at or above 1800 ft, turn heading 303 since we are a category C aircraft, after 2 minutes we will begin a standard rate turn to the left to 92 degrees, if it all works correctly, we will come out within 5 degrees of runway heading and if the runway is in sight it will be a visual approach from there.

Having been a near victim of a mid air collision in real life, I tend to turn the lights on earlier than most people, I usually turn them on coming down through 15000 feet

lights_zpsa2e0b9f4.jpg

Before that workload starts however, we will set our VREF/VAPP speeds on the ASI

vref_zps03eeeb31.jpg

Ceduna Traffic, OBS303 5 miles to the southeast, overflying the field at 2200, NDB11 approach, Ceduna

radiocall_zps80491782.jpg

Now that the needle has swung, we can turn to 303 degrees

overndb_zpsa98aa382.jpg

Two minutes later we turn back to the NDB and drop the gear and the last of the flaps

geardown_zps85ab96e7.jpg

backtondb_zps7f65f97c.jpg

Ceduna traffic, OBS303 short final 11, Ceduna

shortfinal_zps1c626ce2.jpg

Due to the fairly short runway, we put 'er down kinda hard, want to make sure the spoilers lift :)

downndirty_zpsaf6336d7.jpg

Parked up with the APU running, the mechanic opens the cowling once more to see if he can find the gremlin still lurking in there

parked_zps99934ca4.jpg

Last but not least, we HAVE to unload the baton and get it on its next leg!

batonunload_zps6e6899a9.jpg

An interesting side note, the last AWTC leg I flew was into Adelaide :)

Superb flight Remington!

Great to see the 732 as well as we've not seen one for a while. (I wondered why the air has been so clear!)

Some of our crew could learn a few things here, professional flying that is, and my credit card says thanks for not buying that extra fuel.

All the best Caption Box  :salute:

Joe

............. After looking at a few of these PIREPS, I feel tempted to try one myself.

There are still sections left after this one is finished, I'm sure everyone would like to  read one from you. :)

Your chance of winning a bid would probably be good as Micke gets tired of the rest of us hassling him all the time. :D I would put in a good word for you but I'm not on their favorites list, they are tired of bailing me out of jail. Plus there was the time I bought that first class ticket on their credit card and the time .........  

Superb PIREP Remigton, you do make it look so easy to fly the big tubes...

And it's interesting to see that the overhead looks so similar to the NGX, although the similarities do end once you get down to the main instruments.

But are you really sure about your last ATWC leg? I seem to recall a flight in North America during ATWC IV with some stunningly beautiful shots of an Airbus in it.... And IV never went down past Australia...

Ruzzo: As Brett said, we'd love to see a PIREP from you, and there are plenty of legs left in the challenge. The final destination is in Southampton after all  ;)

If you want to have a heads up on when the "Bidding" starts for the next section send in a Pilot registration following the instructions at the end of this topic.

• 3 weeks later...