Leg 41 Alice Springs to Weipa Airport

You're LATE! Joe did not leave any doubt about how he felt about it. And he was right, I was late by a big margin. Flying an event like the ATWC in classic prop planes was possibly not the brightest thing to do - but here I was in my Boeing Stratocruiser. The plane did give me some headaches getting here and I sure hoped all issues with those big radials were now solved.

I apologized to Joe, gave him a peace offering containing lots of alcohol and made my way to the plane as soon as possible.

I did wonder how Sharon would feel about me flying with Heidi as head stewardess, but hopefully she would not have to find out.

1.jpg

The plane was all warmed up and ready to go. So I went off in a hurry.

3.jpg

On the climb out I had ample time to enjoy the surrounding area.

5.jpg

And to top it all off I had a beautiful sunrise.

7.jpg

For a short time all was well and even the encounter with Joe started to fade.

8.jpg

There was not a lot to look at but I was at peace with the plane and for once none of the engines gave any indication of trouble.

9.jpg

But unfortunately this peace and calm did not last. Suddenly I heard a baby cry in the passengers cabin and Heidi came in the cockpit at the same time as the engineer warned for pressure loss in the main cabin.

I immediately started an emergency decent and tried to find out what just happened.

10.jpg
Apparently all! turbo's failed at the same time leaving no pressure for the main cabin.

12.jpg

I started looking for an alternative airport and by pure luck Mount Isa was nearby.

13.jpg

We made a safe landing and now all I had to do was call Joe and Micke and tell about another delay...

14.jpg

I taxiied to the stand and prepared to make some calls.

15.jpg

Two days later an immaculate Boeing B-17G landed and the airport and Sharon came out. She heard about my misfortune and decided to come herself to make sure this leg of the ATWC would finish.

16.jpg

We wasted no time and took off immediately.

18.jpg

The whole trip I kept track of the engines

21.jpg

All dials were in the green

19.jpg

And the big radials did all they were asked to do.

20.jpg

In the cockpit I tried to get away from the nagging questions - who was Heidi, where did we meet, WHY was she on the plane with me..

22.jpg

But nothing could take away the fun of flying this special plane

23.jpg

After about two hours we made landfall

24.jpg

And we landed shortly after that.

25.jpg

I am waiting at the end of the runway with the baton - and Sharon.

Nicely done Kasper, :thum: a PIREP that includes two museum pieces that are still (somewhat :whis: ) flying is always a welcome sight.

I am sure Joe understands your being late but it was still a good idea supplying some doggy treats. :D

As far as why Heidi was still with you, well, that Sharon sure can be alluring to all. ;)

Bravo Kasper, a well told tale of your adventures...

But just as with the Twin Otter I think we might need to minimize use of the Boeing Stratocruiser in the future. If I remember correctly this is the second time  you've had pressurization issues with that model  ;)

But you did recover nicely, and delivered the Baton where you should.. that's what matters  :thum: 

You are right Mikael. Last time I flew the 377 in ATWC I also had decrompression issues! As of now it is the only plane I have had these issues with so I will refrain from using in it the ATWC from now on.

It will remain one of my favourites but apparently it really does not like to fly the challenge :huh: