Leg 45: Timika (WABP) to Presidente Nicolau Lobsto Intl (WPDL)

After a short Easter holiday it was time to get cracking. We were already falling behind schedule and flying some exotic propliner was probably not what was called for this time.

Besides: I promised Micke that I would be flying a regular airliner this time.

jet%20on%20stand.jpg

I decided to use the A320-214 for this trip. It has excellent short field performance and can fly the 896 Nm in a little over 2 hours.

route.png

plan.png

I accepted the dispatcher’s route and fuel load calculations and made my way to the plane.

startOfRunway.jpg

At 05:17 local time we were ready to take off. This way we could have the baton at the next destination early in the day in order to minimize any further delays.

endOfRunway.jpg

We pushed the throttles all the way forward while hanging on the brakes and with maximum available thrust we released the brakes.
With a full load of passengers and some cargo, but luckily a fairly light load of fuel we managed to take off and clear the trees at the end of the runway. I was very happy that we decide on the A320-214, I would not have liked to try this in another type of jetliner.

cruise.jpg

Once airborne we could relax and let the electric jet do its work. We rapidly climbed to our cruise altitude of 38000 ft. and sped along at Mach 0.80.

sunrise.jpg

While cruising we had the chance to enjoy a beautiful sunrise which ensured good light for approach and landing. With good weather forecasts there was not a lot that could go wrong.

islands.jpg

The view from the cockpit was something to behold as we flew along the coast line of Indonesia.

destination.jpg

After a little over 2 hours flying time we reached our destination island and it was time to start the descent.

lineUp.jpg

With a descent rate of 2000 ft. / min. we lost altitude quickly and when I lined up for the manual landing we were low and slow: exactly what we needed to make a full stop on this short runway.

approach.jpg

stop.jpg

In the end we came to a full stop with room to spare thanks to the amazingly powerful automatic brakes on the electric jet.

end.jpg

Since there is no room to park her on the stand we will be waiting at the end of the runway. The airport authorities are threatening to impound the jet however so we can’t stay for too long – Joe would probably not like the credit card bill for her.

Nice work Kasper, that's the way to cut down on some flying time. :thum:

Love your version of the A320, it's a beauty. Wonder how they are going to calculate your landing fee there. :D