Leg 47 - WADD - WIHL

Ahh life had been good to me..

Running a big event like the ATWC means that you at times need to pick up the scraps and fly the legs no-one wants. When no-one wanted to fly out of Bali I was a very happy man and picked the assignment without reading the fine print carefully.

I headed down to Bali right away, and got almost three weeks of R&R soaking in the warmth, sipping Piña Coladas and Cuba Libres in the sun.

But as I got word of the Baton moving closer I came to the realization that I needed to start thinking about that flight.

Reading the flight briefing once again I spotted something I compeletley missed when I took the flight. I needed a plane with a MTOW of at least 170,000 lbs... oyoy.. where can I get hold of that.. it's not like they have large planes like that standing around at plane rental firms down here...  What to do...

After much pondering I decided to give my old ATWC pal Al a call, last time I flew in this area he had sorted me out with two great planes.

After doing some much needed catching up Al decided to get down to business..

I assume you need help with a plane my friend, he said..

ehrm, well, yes.. But how did you know? I relpied meekely.

That's the only reason you call me mate, was his sombre reply.

Feeling a tad awful about myself I mumbled something incoherent followed by a "Sorry".

Al just laughed it off and assured me that I was still in front as far as favours goes after all the help I provided in South Africa 3.5 years ago.

So, do you want to re-visit Cat or Connie? Al asked.

As much as I'd love to re-do both of those lovely ladies I need something with a larger capacity this time, I replied and gave Al the details on what I needed, when I needed it and where to deliver.

Ok, I'll shake some trees and canvas some hangars. There will be something waiting for you at Bandar Udara Ngurah Rai Bali Airport (try saying that after a couple of Piña Coladas) on Monday morning. Tell the guys at security that Al sent you, and make your way to the western parts of the terminal. Your ride, with a co-pilot, will be waiting at one of the "large" gates.

With the plane issues hopefully dealt with I whipped up a quick and dirty flight plan and headed back to the beach just in time for Happy Hour.

Come sunday, the day before my flight, and life was no longer kind to me.. I had cought the flu of the century (at least if you ask me), with all the choughing and sneezing possible to handle, a nose that produces a pound of snot every half hour and a fewer topping of at an impressive 37.5 degrees centigrade. I had caught the man-flu!!! And to top it of, the hotel had run out of Earl Grey for my sore throath, so I had to make do with "Strawberry Cream Roibos", oh the horror!!!

But after an early bed and an almost good nights sleep come monday morning I was feeling good enought to attempt the flight. The pre-flight nerves where starting to set in.. dozens upon dozens of questions started to whirl around in my brain as I had my not so full English Breakfast. 

What will the weather be like? Will my Co-pilot be any good? Will my Co-pilot look any good? and perhaps most importantly What plane is waiting for me at the airport? 

Arriving at the airport (by helicopter by the look of it) my driver made sure I couldn't fully see what it was that was parked at the gate where we were heading..

01-Bandar-Udara-Ngurah-Rai-Bali.jpg

After beeing whisked through security I headed towards my ride, but as I stepped out on to the aporon I really couldn't identify the beast in front of me.

02-My-ride-for-the-day.jpg

Well, I'm sure my co-pilot will inform me about it when the time comes. But first I must locate Richard and fetch the Baton.

Richard was still out by his crippled AN-32 trying to restore it to flying conditions. Not much had happened in the first two days though

ATWC_AN32__Collapse_28_zps8cd1117c.jpg~o

Leaving Richard to his hard work I headed back to my plane and found my way to the flight deck. Turns out my co-pilot for today was a grumpy old asian guy, with a slight recembleance to Mr. Miyagi from The Karate Kid. His english was broken at best, but I managed to find out that I'd by flying a Douglas C-124 Globemaster II.

As I handed him the flight plan I got a nod of approval and he started feeding it in to the GPS for reference.

03-Flight-plan.JPG

After an incredably short pre-flight and start-up sequence all four engines are roaring and we are ready to push back.. just look at how tiny that push back truck looks..

04-Push-back-truck-struggle.jpg

Taxiing out towards runway 27 there's alot of interest among everyone on the apron.. I guess this isn't a regular sight here on Bali.

05-Lots-of-interest-on-the-apron.jpg

As we pass the fire station I start to get a tad worried though.. sure, all fire trucks are still inside the station, but I can clearly see that all of the trucks are full of equiped fire-men just waiting to burst into action should we fail our take-off.

06-Fire-station.jpg

But I but the hard work of the fire chief to shame, as we rotate and take to the skies without incidents.

07-Rotate.jpg

The assigned SID takes us straight out from the airport

08-Leaving-Bali-behind.jpg

We continue to climb on a western course over the water. Going by the charts we are supposed to turn northward for a bit once we make landfall again, and then continue on a northwestern track towards our first waypoint.

09-Following-my-SID-west.jpg

As we continue our western track a few scattered clouds starts to appear.

10-Some-clouds-come-into-view.jpg

And they keep appearing in greater and greater numbers the further west we go.

11-Keeps-gathering.jpg

Top of Climb reached, so we level of at FL190 and settle in for the cruise. Just as we level off I picked up a very distorted radio transmission, sounded like "Act****ate Che******ail". Not giving it a second thought it did strike me as a bit odd that my co-pilot decided to flip a switch at that exact moment.

12-Leaving-my-mark.jpg

End of our SID, and the first waypoint fast apporaching.

13-First-Waypoint.jpg

Now some mist are starting for form long below us.. I just hope it clears up before it's time to land.

14-Some-mist-at-low-altitude.jpg

Turning at the BA NDB. Cutting some corners here, and skipping between two Airways.

15-Turning-at-the-BA-NDB.jpg

The clouds keep building up below us.. it's not looking good.

16-Taking-a-turn-for-the-worse.jpg

Even though I'm high above them it does feel re-assuring to have those peaks in view.

17-Feels-good-to-have-the-peaks-in-view-

Not easy to see anything below us at this point.

18-a-real-peasoup-downthere.jpg

Top of Descent.. let's find out if we can land this big boy at our destination.

19-ToD.jpg

Well, as we descend it sure isn't looking any better.

20-Not-getting-any-better.jpg

A few lightning bolts lights up the fuselage and flight deck as well.. great, a freaking thunderstorm.. just what I needed.

21-I-did-spot-a-few-lightning-bolts-too-

We decided to deviate slightly from our flight plan, and made a left turn to give us more manouvering space as we try to get below the clouds.. At 3.000 feet it's not looking good.

22-3000-feet-ASL.jpg

But then, as if my magic, as we pass through 2.500 feet we regain perfect visibitly, and the thunderstorm vanish even quicker than they appeared.

23-2500-feet-ASL.jpg

With the field in sight I scramble for a quick landing attemtp while we still have visibility. Looks like we are a tad high though..

24-First-attempt.jpg

And in deed we was. Let's go around shall we...

25-Go-Around.jpg

Turns out I had also gotten my wind readings mixed up, so we opted to make our second attempt going the other way.. this time with a head wind. Much more stable and shallow in final this time.

26-Second-attempt.jpg

Nailed it. Even hit the center line I think, but it was slightly harder than I had hoped. I forgot to factor in the elevated position of the cockpit and flared slightly late.

27-Nailed-it.jpg

Not much of an apron to work with, so I guess we'll park it on the grass and see if we can find a nice place where we can wait for Brett. (Given his track records so far in this ATWC I guess the city jail will be a good bet).....

28-Parked-and-ready-for-the-next-payload

Great PIREP and flight Micke considering your condition of being under the weather(on both counts :D ). Feel better soonest.

Very colorful pictures too along the way, well done. I would have soiled myself seeing that monster before me but I'm sure you made Mr. Miyagi proud. :thum:

You have me stumped though, what was the radio transmission and the subsequent switch that was initiated? Emergency beacon? :huh:

@Kieran: The second try wasn't even close to the end. Surprisingly that mammoth flew quite comfortably at 95 KIAS with full flaps ;)

@Brett: How would I know. It was distorted after all ;)

Let's just say that it relates to the image following the text, and a very nutty aviation myth I got reacquainted with last week ;)

I also just realised that I was very generous with the *-signs. There are much fever letters actually missing than you'd think...

Great PIREP Micke, What a monster of an aircraft! Rather you than me, but I guess you could take a car with you to use at the end of the flight. I am up after Brett, lets hope I can find something a little less imposing! 

By the way Micke, I am hurt that you think I am always in trouble. I have been on my best behavior while in Indonesia. I have even been doing community service and doing it so well that people are after me all the time.   :D

poster.jpg~original

Thanks Gang.

As for that transmission, I suppose it was 'activate chemtrail'

Got it in one try Richard ;)

Dai: It's not a draft coming through those doors.. it's a freaking hurricane ;)

John: The first time I flew with Al he threw an A400M at me without warning, and refused to tell me our destination until we were halfway there.. So I'm more or less prepared for anything when I call him  ;)

Brett: Ok.... That sure looks like a picture of an innocent man... I wonder why the chief of police gave me a long sideways glance when I mentioned your name though  :whis: