Leg 112: Belfast EGAC - Dublin EIDW

Evening all,

Sorry this took so long. Let's just say that the hike did not go as planned and the less said the better :mrhappy: Haven't been up to flying since but wanted to get moving again with the challenge so here we are!

It's a cold and thundery morning in Belfast as we load up our "precious cargo" for this urgent charter trip to Dublin. I'm not too happy about getting up so early to run the baton down but anything for the Cause! Plus, the weather is good and we'll be flying VFR so it should be fun.

fsscr015.jpg

One engine started and keeping an eye on the engine instruments as we start the other.

fsscr017.jpg

Very much Flybe's territory. I've tried adding BMI and Ryanair flightplans to EGAC with the T2005 editor but I'm useless at traffic editing, all I've succeeeded in doing is increasing the about of Flybe planes.

fsscr018.jpg

Lined up and ready to go. BHD is pretty quiet; the only other plane I've seen depart this morning was a C152.

fsscr019.jpg

The beautiful Seneca lifting into the cold air, and me getting ready for some seat of the pants, VFR coast-hugging flying.

fsscr020.jpg

Over Belfast and heading towards the coast which we will follow to Dublin.

fsscr021.jpg

Roads and Rivers of Europe really comes into its own on flights like these.

fsscr022.jpg

Lovely lines on the Piper.

fsscr023.jpg

In that direction is Newtownards EGAD, where the real flying is done.

fsscr025.jpg

This road will take us to the coast of NI, near the border with the Republic.

fsscr026.jpg

Those mountains are where I was at the weekend. I couldn't resist heading off-course to fly around them for a while as you will see.

fsscr027.jpg

Juggling mountain tops, clouds, and the wishes of ATC to get over the peaks.

fsscr028.jpg

Ben Crom reservoir, the largest reservoir in the Mournes.

fsscr029.jpg

Spelga Dam, the second largest and one I've spent a good amount of time walking along.

fsscr030.jpg

Back to business - heading towards the coast again.

fsscr031.jpg

Dublin don't want us to be too high around the airport and we need to stay out of those clouds. Down we go...

fsscr032.jpg

It's a good thing we have no passengers apart from the baton carrier, who after 111 legs is used to this sort of stuff by now.

fsscr033.jpg

Approaching Gormanstown (ha, ha)

fsscr036.jpg

I couldn't resist buzzing the residents of my namesake village!

fsscr037.jpg

Dublin is off in that direction somewhere. From driving down the road below us I know that it will take us pretty close to the threshold of runway 28.

fsscr039.jpg

In real life this bridge is much snazzier.

fsscr042.jpg

Land ahoy! Speaking to Dublin tower and hoping to get in before the rush hour.

fsscr044.jpg

Banking towards the airport.

fsscr045.jpg

They're using the eastbound runway 10 for departures and arrivals, but ATC are going to let me circle and land on the shorter GA runway on the north side of the field. On downwind leg here and setting up for the landing.

fsscr047.jpg

My approach could generously be called interesting, but a more realistic view would be downright crazy.

fsscr048.jpg

No matter, we're down. Rolling out on this runway and not bothering with the brakes too much as we need to turn off at the end.

fsscr049.jpg

Taxiing in. Dublin dosen't see much GA traffic - the smallest, slowest things they normally deal with at Saab 340s and Michael O'Leary.

fsscr050.jpg

Parked up safely in a remote corner. A car is on the way to hustle the baton carrier and the baton to the terminal.

fsscr051.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and sorry once again for the delay. That's my last leg of the ATWC I think and I'd like to thank Joe for the tremendous work he's done here. The Hangar simply wouldn't be the Hangar without his dedication and effort. A thousand thanks Joe! :whis:

Cheers,

Dave

Hey Dave,

As ever, a stunning example of your work :mrhappy: .

Really great shots and commentary flying around your homeland.

Well done and thanks for getting us safely to Dublin.

Cheers

A really nice VFR flight, Dave - with an excellent commentary - loved the Dam!! Must be nice to have a town named after you too. :mrhappy:

Thanks for sharing - only a few Legs to go now.....

Cheers - Dai. :whis: