What Weather Generator should I buy?

Hi Rick,

Personally, I prefer Active Sky Next as I find it runs well in the background and is accurate in my experience.

However, I don't fly the big jets very much so I cannot comment on it's accuracy at higher altitudes but I would be confident that it is just as good.

Cheers,

Joe

I'm still using the older REX+O which isn't bad but can be finicky. From what I have been hearing it is a tossup between Active Sky Next(heard great things) and FS Global Real Weather(has certain good qualities, users stand by it) and then down the line to OpusFSX.

I don't think the REX4 Direct has gotten as much press as ASN, could be because they have spilt their product into three parts, not sure. 

If you have bundles of money I have heard that combining ASN with any REX textures can be pretty awesome.

I use Opus FX.  I bought it primarily for seating up cameras and for using with my TrackIR.  The weather generating aspect was therefore a bonus.  

I have tested by flying from my local airfield and checking up on the weather by looking out the window!  It seems to work well enough. 

Active Sky NEXT or OPUSFX appear to be two of the better weather generating ones. Of course REX has its new REX4 Weather Architect and Generation programs coming out soon, but unknown as yet if they will be as good, better, or not as good as Active Sky NEXT.

............ Of course REX has its new REX4 Weather Architect and Generation programs coming out soon, but unknown as yet if they will be as good, better, or not as good as Active Sky NEXT.

I have been waiting to upgrade to ASN but figured I would give REX a chance to show their stuff. But they better hurry up, I'm not waiting forever.

btw Rick, REX4Direct(the textures only part) is on sale(50%) right now at PCA.

I use REX 4, FSGRW and Opus, in that order. Some days one will portray the weather better or more realisticly than the other, however there is no argument that REX installs the best textures, all the other progs use what is installed in FSX , so to get the best setup you might have to do as Brett suggests and get both REX and ASN

Having persevered with rex for better and worse i thought I would try the ASN trial

wow!

it has to be said that the weather progs tend to leapfrog each other hence hanging onto rex for so long , but I have to say they are going to have to pull the rabbit out of the hat to beat ASN.

Maybe thats why rex are taking so long to release their long promised new engine?