Leg 66 - Marina Di Campo (LIRJ) to Lugano (LSZA)

Well, this was an unexpected suprise. A message came through from control that Rob had not appeared, and Dai's sheep needed looking after due to his prolonged stay in Marina Di Campo. Having been offered the choice, I decided to head out to Marina.

Trouble was, what aircraft to use?

Having studied the airport charts (thanks John!) I thought small. 202nm seperates the airfields, so a light GA aircraft should do the job. Might take an hour or two though. However, on the way to Marina Di Campo, Micke sent some more words to me. Although the signal wasn't great, I picked up a few words. "Check your aircraft.....min Max Take Off.....100000.......". Did he really mean a 100,000lb aircraft out of this short field and into an even tighter one? Having confirmed and picked my jaw up off the ground, I bade Micke good night. Now, really what to fly?

I decided to leave the decision until the morning, and the baton. Meeting Dai in the bar (where else?) and discussing a few matters, a loud whine erupted for the outside world. A beautiful Delta 737-200 made a low pass, then touched down and was able to stop. The stairs opened up, and the Captain lumbered out, with the co-pilot assisting him. Turns out the Captain didn't really like his food. And also they were on a tour to find odd locations that a 737 'shouldn't' get into. An idea formed in my mind......

After talking to the crew, I was in. I was to turn up the next morning to fly out with the 737 to Lugano. A quick bit of revision of the 732 ADV was required, since it was a long, long time since I had flown in last. It also had the more modern Sperry 177 autopilot, similar to the 737 Classics.

The following morning dawned bright, but quickly got a bit darker. Lightning and thunder were a few miles away, so a speedy exit was required

-2014-jul-29-010_zpsa035b5d6.jpg

Engine start was slow, but the JT8-D's picked up and we pushed back, dwarfing the normal aircraft

-2014-jul-29-012_zpse52bd511.jpg

ATC cleared us for a Runway 16 take off, which required a turn-around. Having said that, the runway wasn't connected at each end by a taxiway, so both ways would require a turn around

-2014-jul-29-023_zpsd4c630c4.jpg

We only just fit, but to make sure we had the maximum runway distance we requested pushback until the main wheels were almost off the tarmac

-2014-jul-29-024_zpscf574073.jpg

Power on, parking brake on. Engine max EPR. Luckily with a light fuel load we rocketed out of Marina

-2014-jul-29-026_zps2c041646.jpg

Gear up we maintain about 3,000ft per min

-2014-jul-29-027_zps3e210a6d.jpg

The tower watches our smokey departure

-2014-jul-29-028_zps1cef4803.jpg

A climbing turn to avoid traffic and mountains

-2014-jul-29-030_zpsc3c1cc72.jpg

Nice and quiet up at FL260

-2014-jul-29-036_zpse1f4f98f.jpg

The view from the office

-2014-jul-29-038_zpsf6c005bf.jpg

Descending into cloud, on a visual approach!

-2014-jul-29-042_zpsbc72a3a3.jpg

Cloudcover broken

-2014-jul-29-043_zpsd08e587e.jpg

Gear down and locked, turning in

-2014-jul-29-050_zpsa80b4e26.jpg

GO-AROUND!

-2014-jul-29-055_zps45602bb0.jpg

Waay to high on that approach, time to turn around, avoiding the mountains

-2014-jul-29-056_zps3255c184.jpg

A much better approach

-2014-jul-29-057_zps2a90df97.jpg

And touchdown!

-2014-jul-29-058_zpsa7f70081.jpg

-2014-jul-29-059_zpsa4c18816.jpg

Everything hanging out, slowing down rapidly with a very light fuel load

-2014-jul-29-060_zps9b06853b.jpg

And off the runway

-2014-jul-29-062_zps146435d7.jpg

Finally, all shut down with the doors and stairs open. If you want the baton Marcellus, just find the 737

-2014-jul-29-063_zps7fea1c64.jpg

:icon_goodpost:

Way to go Chuck, you nailed it.

Please see rob for your flight bonus!

Thanks for getting us out of this tight spot and moving us ever nearer to the conclusion  :thum:

Thanks folks.

.- -. -.. / -.. .- .. / - . .-.. .-.. / - .... . / ... .... . . .--. / - .... .- -. -.- ... / ... - --- .--. / - .... . -.-- / .-- . .-. . / --- -.- / ... - --- .--.

( -.-- . ... / .-- . / .- .-. . / -... .- -.-. -.- / .- - / -.. --- .. -. --. / -- --- .-. ... . !)

-. .. -.-. .   ..-. .-.. .. --. .... -   -.-. .... ..- -.-. -.-   ... - --- .--.   - --- .--.   -. --- - -.-. ....   ..-. .-.. -.-- .. -. --.   -.-. .- .--. - .- .. -.   ... - --- .--.   --. --- --- -..   --- ..-.   -.-- --- ..-   - ---   ..-. .. .-.. .-..   .. -.   ..-. --- .-.   .-. --- -...   - --- ---   ... - --- .--.   ... ..- .-. .--. .-. .. ... . -..   -.-- --- ..-   .... .- -..   - ---   -.. ---   .-   --. ---   .- .-. --- ..- -. -..   ... - --- .--.   -.-. --- -- .--. .- -. -.--   -.-. --- -. -.-. . .-. -. . -..   .- -... --- ..- -   ..-. ..- . .-..   .--. .-. .. -.-. . ...   ... - --- .--. :D

-.. --- / -..-. / -. --- - / -..-. / .-- --- .-. .-. -.-- / -..-. / -... .-. . - - / -..-. / ... - --- .--. / -..-. / ..-. . ..- .-.. / -..-. / .--. .- .. -.. / -..-. / ..-. --- .-. / -..-. / -... -.-- / -..-. / -.. . .-.. - .-

And John, this goes back a while - http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/5282-morse-code-vs-txting/?hl=morse

Ah-ha. In that case.....

.. / - .... .. -. -.- / .. / .... .- ...- . / ..-. --- ..- -. -.. / .- / --. --- --- -.. / .-- .- -.-- / - --- / --. . - / .- .-- .- -.-- / .-- .. - .... / ... --- -- . / .--. .-. --- ..-. .- -. .. - .. . ... / .. -. / -- -.-- / .--. --- ... - ... / ... - --- .--. / --- -. .-.. -.-- / ... --- -- . / --- ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -... . / ... .- -.. / . -. --- ..- --. .... / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... . -- / -... .- -.-. -.- / .- --. .- .. -. / ... - --- .--. / -... ..- --. --. . .-. / ... - --- .--. / .. / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .-. . -- . -- -... . .-. / - .... .- - / .. ..-. / .. / -.-. .- -. / -.. --- / - .... .. ... / - .... . -. / ... --- / -.-. .- -. / -.-- --- ..- / ... - --- .--.

.- - / -... .-. . - - / ... - --- .--. / .. / .... .- -.. / -... . - - . .-. / -- .. -. -.. / -- -.-- / .--. ... / .- -. -.. / --.- ... / - .... . -. / ... - --- .--. / - .... . .-. . / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -... . / -. --- / -... .-.. --- --- -.. -.-- / .-. ..- -.. . / .-- --- .-. -.. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -- . / - .... . -.