ATWC Leg 117 EGLL - EGHI the final chapter

:cool: to the final leg of the Around The World Challenge.

atwc_baton.png

First off, thanks to Panos and the Iron Maiden tour bus for delivering the baton safely from Jersey.

Our aim was to traverse the globe carrying the baton along the way. March 4th 2007 heralded the beginning of the challenge starting from Southampton, now leg 117 brings the baton full circle back to EGHI.

Thanks to the the other 18 pilots and of course Sharon who have helped make the ATWC an unqualified success :clap:

What fitting aircraft for this very short flight, the Spitfire, whose spiritual home is also Southampton.

Along the way we will meet up with some other aircraft thanks to FS Recorder, these shots have only been reduced in size otherwise no edits.

I hope you enjoy this flight.

mutlogo.jpg Mut

Having received the baton from Panos in a low key ceremony I am thankful the weather is favourable!

1.jpg

We're over in the south of the field in the cargo area, a couple of other light-weights are here too :cool:

2.jpg

Poking my nose out to the main taxiway.

3.jpg

I zig-zag my way past the EL-AL cargo building.

4.jpg

Watching the airshow that is 09L! The Air Seychelles is having to go around.

5.jpg

We're up next, although I know I will have to push my way in, don't they know what an important task I am on!?

6.jpg

As the Airbus vacates I think I have enough runway ahead.

7.jpg

I have got to get a move on before I am over taken by the Airbus.

8.jpg

Tail up, passing over the the hallowed 09R!

9.jpg

We're off and gaining speed before..

10.jpg

A steep climb and exit left :whis: The rebuilding is still taking place below on the centre complex of T1 -T3.

11.jpg

Turning downwind the traffic is way below, I'm not sure ATC will like this :lalala:

12.jpg

Meanwhile I am being stalked by a Hurricane keen to show his respect.

13.jpg

Turning south over the infamous T5.

14.jpg

Still a huge queue for 09R.

15.jpg

Muddy reservoirs below.

16.jpg

Captain Smithers in the Hurricane now pulling along side.

17.jpg

"I say, Tally-ho old chap, marvellous achievement, be careful not to prang the kite on the way!"

18.jpg

With a waggle of the wings to acknowledge Smithers I peel off to the right roughly towards Farnborough.

19.jpg

At the same time the Hurricane breaks to the left, just like the old days!

20.jpg

Talking of Farnborough, our man "allardjd" has tipped off the Reds about our challenge.

21.jpg

Discussing the route with Red 1 (We will call him Maverick....... Why? Ed!) but they will have to hurry as Mutley has already covered a third of the distance.

22.jpg

Job done, muhahhaha!

23.jpg

Meanwhile, our hero Mutley is still heading for the South coast unaware.

24.jpg

Maverick takes off ahead to get a location on the Spitfire.

25.jpg

Followed smartly by 2 groups of 4 Reds.

26.jpg

The crowd are wondering what is going on, we didn't see this in the program!

27.jpg

A fellow Spitfire looks on.

28.jpg

The others go off to prat around for a while whilst Maverick re-traces the leg 117 flight plan :giggle:

29.jpg

Maverick has a small snigger, if the RAF where in charge, T5 would .....

30.jpg

Within minutes the target was found pottering along.

31.jpg

Da da da da .. what the..! Mutley stops his karaoke to welcome Red1

32.jpg

"We're all behind you Mutters!" :thum:

33.jpg

Then the rest come along and we formate for a while :ap: :ap: :ap:

34.jpg

The nine then take off to form their groups again.

35.jpg

Now Team A are hammering towards me!

36.jpg

Over the top.

37.jpg

And break, we are out in the English Channel about to turn towards Bembridge on the I.O.W

38.jpg

Now heading toward Fawley on our last section. Team B pull off the same manoeuvre as the other team! :bored:

39.jpg

But not this close!

40.jpg

Maverick is back to taunt me!

41.jpg

On final, it's gone strangely quiet?

42.jpg

Behind you!

43.jpg

The moment the Spitfire touches down the Hawk screams past displaying the blue smoke to signify the batons safe return! :dance:

44.jpg

A celebration roll then back to Farnborough. (I'm sure the prop was turning when I took this shot!)

45.jpg

A time warp, the airport before it was re-built, a lot of the old hangars the Spit may well recognise.

46.jpg

I included this picture as I used to work in that office with the slopey roof before it was knocked down.

47.jpg

Engine off, just relishing the moment and the un-characteristic fine weather.

48.jpg

We're home, the baton is back home! :dance2:

49.jpg

Thanks to all of you who have taken part :clap: :rockon:

The roll of honour-

dgor

allardjd

wisemanp

ddavid

simi_av8r

reef

Martyn

mulletman

Smeagol

Panos_95

TapA321

Joe Ellwood

ben_davies247

chrisE_2007

hurricanemk1c

AirbusLad

nicholas1125

1magin3

The ATWC hall of fame is presently on the ATWC button on the Mutley's Hangar tool bar, this shows number of flights and distances flown.

I recommend you get the tool bar if not, here is the board.

hof.jpg

The baton is now back on its holder! (Thanks John :cool: )

baton1.jpg

Cheers byecry-1.gif

ps Sorry this is a day earlier than promised but I won't be around Tuesday night.

To see all 116 previous legs look at the resource tab on the ATWC micro site here http://www.mutleyshangar.com/atwc click on the leg and it should take you to the flight on the forum.

..We will be back! :yes:

Wow! Now that flight is a piece of work!!! A fitting finale to an amazing marathon. I'm honored to have been a part of it and all who did should be proud of themselves. These kinds of things normally die a natural death somewhere in the middle - this one kept on...and on and on, going strong right up to a great finish.

Thanks, Mutley, for providing the site and the idea and the inspiration and perseverance to keep it all on track and going strong.

There's nothing else on the web like MH and those who people it. Finest kind! I'm proud be counted amongst you.

John

W O W!

An amazing end to an amazing journey!

Who'd have thought, when flew leg 2 in the Learjet45, that the challenge would grow into what it did?

I would like to say thankyou and well done on everyone on here for making it such an enjoyable experience, and especially for Mutley for hosting the challenge.

I don't know what I'll do without it!

WOW!

Absolutely amazing leg!

Very very good send off to this fantastic challenge!

And i wish i could have had more participation but i did enjoy my part!

Wow well done guys, i take my hats off to you all, specially you Mut!

:cool:

Firstly I havn't been on the forum for ages now in which I would like to apologise. I have been tracking a few routes on here, but never got to see them all and now I think I should of and perhaps even participated myself. Although I thought I would comment as I think these are AMAZING and even though I haven't seen them all I think this is a perfect ending to the tour. :cool:

First - and most importantly:

WELL DONE JOE!!

A terrific finale to the ATWC and a really brilliant combination of all the skills you've brought to the Hangar and shared with us over the last 16 months.

THANKS JOE!!

(O.K. - What's your second point then? Ed) Oh yeah:

What's next....?!?

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

What can I say Joe? Absolutely marvellous! A really spectacular end to what has been a spectacular journey. Thanks to all those who have taken part and thanks to you Joe! This has to be far and away the best interactive challenge the web ever did see. It was the best use of 83,820nm of FS scenery I have ever seen :dance2:

Well done for getting us home in style, and thanks again buddy :wink:

Cheers

Dave

What can I say, Joe? You definately brought the baton home in style. What an amazing post.

Congratulations to everyone who took part in the ATWC, however much input you made, and especially to Joe for organising everything. For all the flights that I haven't commented on, I apologise, but I will have a quick look over all the flights now to see how well everyone has done. It has been an honour to take part in this competition, and I can't wait to take part in another in the (hopefully) near future! :thum:

Best Regards,

George