Computer losing connection with random USB devices

I've never encountered so many problems when building a new flight sim pc. I've done this for years but this time.....

Ok, here's the next one : this usually happens when I'm still preflighting so after a few minutes : one of my connected USB devices suddenly becomes an unknown device and the only way to get it back is by restarting the computer.

Does anyone know why this is happening ? Is it a power issue ? The devices are connected to a powered USB hub so I think not.

Martin

Hey Martin,

I have this problem sporadically.

I realise that you probably already know this but, make sure your powered usb is plugged in to a usb2 port on your PC.

I have 2x10 port powered usbs and it still happens to me. There is no rhyme or reason for it, frustrating as it is.

How many usb items are you actually running? I'm not fully sure if windows can keep up with the amount of hardware we are plugging in.

If you are using a saitek yoke, I would recommend not using the USB ports on it, unless you purchase the power supply for the yoke.

Doing so can also cause problems, as I have found in the past.

Sorry for not being overly helpful, but this is a real problem that is very hard to pin down.

Let us know how you proceed.

Cheers and good luck.

Thanks Brian,

I have 15 USB devices connected, 7 (Opencockpits radio, 2 x NAV, ADF, XPNDR, G-throttle and OC FMC-CDU)via a good quality USB powered hub and the rest (OC MCP, a HID card for a button box and a Leo Bodnar card, yoke and rudder, a Logitech keyboard and mouse receiver and the Matrox TH2GO) directly to the computer. Mixed USB2 and 3 but that shouldn't be a problem, should it ?Also since my Saitek yoke was never recognized on start up, I also have a powered hub for that. Now it's recognized just fine.

I'm not using the hub in the Saitek yoke.

It's extremely frustrating, I was just programming my FMC for a nice early morning flight somewhere in Russia when suddenly the FMC stopped working. I immediately looked into devices and printers but it was still connected. However one of my NAV radios had turned into a "unknown device"

Strange thing is, my former pc never had these problems.

martin

In my experience, external USB hubs, even powered versions, are not to be recommended, but acknowledge that if using a laptop PC  (apart from a few exceptions) it may be the only way.

Motherboards with plenty of USB I/O ports or expansion USB cards are the best way to go on a desktop PC.

Ray.

I think the issue here is the connection of the hub to the pc. Because I had to relocate my computer (it was resting against the central heating, not a problem in the summer) I had to extend the cable from the hub in my pedestal.

That's when the problems started.

I'll have to rethink my FS setup

• 2 months later...

Ok, everything is fine now but for one annoying problem. I have build an EFIS controller by using a cheap Martzis HID interface board and it has worked like a dream. All buttons,switches and encoders assigned through LINDA.

Lately I was having some difficulties with a USB hub and decided to use a internal HUB connected to my motherboard. I unplugged everything from my pc inserted the hub and reconnected everything again using the same usb ports as much as possible.

Everything is working except the HID interface board. It's recognized in Windows as a HID device but  buttons or switches are not recognized.I managed to get it working yesterday by repeatedly unplugging and replugging the device. But after a pc restart it stopped working again.

It shows in device manager as a USB HID Interface, I can go to the game controller settings and I see all the inputs. However no input at all is working.

Any input (pun intended) would be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Ok, next problem then : the NGX does not brake anymore. I've tried assigning the differential brakes in FSUIPC and in FSX but nothing seems to work. With the FSX default aircraft the brakes seem to work just fine.

Also I noticed that the nose wheel of my 737 is always at right angles to the plane. Doesn't seem to slow it down, though, I have to use reversers to come to a complete standstill.

I think this is a calibration problem of the joystick,  or a fsuipc joystick calibration problem if you are using a tiller to turn the a/c clearly the tiller setting is not correct

however usb disconnect problems are much more common in win 8.1 so dont upgrade to that!!

I have found the voltage regulators on the motherboards can be easily overcooked leading to irregular voltage outputs , which can cause  usb disconnects as well

I think the culprit might actually be the saved flights. I'm doing a world tour for my VPA and save the flight every time I land. I noticed however when I set up a new flight with the NGX my brake problems are gone ! And I'll have to check but I think that a rudder trim that's way off is saved with the flight.

I'll report back.

That EZCA thing is so distinctive that it's something you can't mistake after the first time you see it. You just have to remember to re-run the setup *every* time you add a new aircraft. :-)

Your other problems, though, are more puzzling, although they do remind me of another classic - this time it's a conflict of mappings. Obviously I can't be too sure (your screen's a bit fuzzy from here), but I would seriously suggest checking your key and button mappings (axes usually look after themselves, since there's fewer of them so the problem would be much more obvious). If you have a given button or key mapped in FSUIPC, for example, then be absolutely sure that it's not also mapped in FSX (and also not mapped in LINDA, and not mapped in any other similar software such as JoyToKey or whatever). I always very carefully document my mappings in all such programs (it's tedious, but one day you will be glad you did) and then do a very careful comparison, looking for any keys or buttons which are being used more than once.

Just a couple of other thoughts: the brakes - are you using toe brakes on rudder pedals, or a mapping elsewhere?

However much you are used to using old saved flights please don't hesitate to jettison ALL previous saved flights after a hardware change! Saved flights can be a curse in such a scenario, as many have found. It really isn't all that hard to recreate them.

A lot of this irritation is caused by Windoze's pernicious habit of remapping USB assignments, of course.... 8-\

Deep sympathies, and do keep trying: we've all been there.... ;-)

It's great once it all works! :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
a.k.a. brian747

Well, it looks as if reinstalling sp1c for the NGX may have done the trick. My brakes are back (yes, toe brakes on rudder pedals), all buttons and axes finally seem to work as they should, fsx doesn't crash anymore and looks pretty smooth.

I'm very slowly and carefully starting to enjoy myself again flying the NGX.

It has been a hell of a bumpy road getting to this point.

I'd like to thank everybody for their ideas, solutions, suggestions and general input. I consider myself quite an authority on FSX problems now and I hope to be able to assist someone in the fufure as you have assisted me.

Thanks

Martin