Earth Simulations ESI Packs

Hi Guys

Need some help here.  Just trying to make an ESI-pack of my Guernsey Installation so that I have a backup, but I'm not seeing the 'Mark for Install' option as detailed in the instructions for making the ESI packs... it only gives me 'Mark for Repair' or 'Mark for Uninstall'

ESI obviously knows that I have the Guernsey software installed but then how can I make a backup that I could install if I ever had an issue with my HD?

I was tempted to Mark for Uninstll and then just try and make a pack to re-load but I can't now find the original boxed disc either so I'm stumped.

Anyone got any bright ideas ?

Cheers guys :-)

Steph

Create a dummy FSX folder on another computer if you have one available.

Just a copy of the FSX Executive inside. Use the F1 registry fix tool to notify Windows of its location.

Run and install your ESI, then proceed as you need to.

Save the ES folder to an external HDD for future use.

Hope that is of some help...it does work.

Im sure I clicked mark for repair and then I could make a pack but not 100% sure. Although what was annoying was it downloads the product again even though I had already installed it - but left it overnight and all was good.

Good luck mate.

Jim

Will give it another go today..

I tried to download the packs using a different pc but it failed as it said I didn't have FSX on that machine (durrr)...

If i can find the original disk ill uninstall and try downloading the pack again..

Thanks for everyone's advice

to add to our misery  I received today my disks for the IOM from flightstore

and guess what?    it will not install !!

am I a happy camper or what?

before i go totally over the edge i will see what flightstore will do, as there is an empty directory on the last disk, probably not their fault , but so far I have bought 3 ES products and all of them have been a saga, sadly

Never again will I buy their stuff even if they do work for orbx

ARGHHHHHHH!

Hi Chris no I havent, after installing the first 3 disks which all work correctly i enter the 4th disk and after a while get a message which says

the file isle of man download z19 cannot be installed because it cannot be found in cabinet esi 119 cab

now when i look at the disk 4 at esi 119.cab it contains download z20, download z19 can be found on disk 3 under esi 118.cab

perhaps there is an easy solution and Darren could solve it but I have no idea how to contact him directly

i have writte to flightstore this morning hopefully they can solve it tomorrow

but as you say I must be unlucky with the ES stuff, nothing out of the 3 sceneries has installed as per the book. sad but true

chris , thanks for the thought but since writing the previous answer i have managed to arrive at a solution, mind you it has taken most of the day :)

i thought i would copy all the cab files from the cd's  into a temporary directory and try to exe them from there, so while they were copying from the cd's  i had another idea!

i went onto the ES website through the es installer and asked to download the iom scenery, naturally it asked for the key , so i gave it the key that i had received for the cd's and it worked!!!! so i was able to download the es pack , which does take a while, and install it, so now i am a happy bunny , i have it saved as an es pack on my hd (and backed up) so even though the cd's dont work I did in the end get it installed and have just flown an A318 from EGNS to EGJB without any issues, drink up!!!!

I know the iom well as i have flown there many times for the TT in our aztec and bassett  and although i have only flown in the sim there for maybe 20 minutes I have to agree with you on how well it is done.

• Like 1

Hi Britfrog....

Don't know whether this will help (or even whether you want to consume so much download time) but as you have a 'boxed product' given ES's recent predicament and the limited (unknown) time the ES server is to remain online...would it not be prudent to use the latest installer V 2.5, point it to the esi pack (.esi file in the 'Files' folder IIRC) on the DVD drive and request ESI to "make esi pack" (you will require the serial key off the DVD of course - IIRC then use unlock button in the 'boxed' section of your ESI library for the IOM boxed scenery) this will then download the latest (presumably post DVD production) version of the IOM scenery as an installable esi pack to store on your Hard Disk for any future reinstallation as required.

Pro's - Latest Version, Available to you now, If faulty DVD you can still return to Flightstore for a permanent disk replacement to supplement your downloaded pack and in the meantime enjoy using the purchased product :) 

Cons - As others frequently complain about ESI, long winded, slow & heavy on download especially if limited broadband connection (mine was - Isle of Man Download.esi - 18.5 GB (19,942,330,368 bytes)).

Hope this helps you??

Maybe someone could offer some advice to me for my own ES install issue...  My system is mid revamp and as such has only a basic (recently installed) FSX Steam, no scenery (inc. Gen X - I have Vols 1 through 10 BTW), no airports, no addins....just basic FSX Steam...haven't even tried it yet!!

As I have all but one (Treescapes Vol 7 - Central Scotland anybody know where I can get one BTW?) of the Earth Simulations products (some downloaded others boxed) on discovering that Darren & Vikki had sadly ceased trading I elected to follow the sensible advice on their 'support faq's' to make installable copies of each title by esi pack as recommended above.

I have had no issue making packs for the downloaded products: IOM, Alderney, Scilly and Shawbury Fields - nor for my boxed Guernsey. However I am hitting a problem with the boxed Treescapes Series (Vol 1 - 3 bundled, Vols 4, 5, 6 & 8). Think the 1 - 3 bundle may be OK with a download file of 802 MB but Vol 6 is just 22 Kb and Vol 8 (inc. 4 & BTW) is just 9 Kb. All serial keys are correctly showing on the ESI server BTW.

Anybody have any thoughts on what is going on?  Think it could be a file path/location issue (no Gen X installed see) causing ESI V2.5 to spit its dummy....any suggestions??

PC Pilot

......your post above has appeared while I was composing my post.....sounds as if you reached the same conclusion by a different route....glad you got it sorted :) !!

Maybe someone might point me in the right direction in downloading and storing the Treescapes esi packs without having to install all my Gen X at this stage....

PC Pilot

Hiya

I've got absolutely nowhere with my backup of the Pack for Guernsey..

ESI still only shows 'Mark for repair' and when I do press it all I get is a .cfg missing entry   I'm not even sure what its trying to do but its not making any pack at all.

I've also had zero luck finding my original disc for Guernsey so even if I tried to uninstall and reinstall I've got no hope.

Better just hope that I never get a problem with my 2 SSDs or I might as well kiss that one goodbye.

Not a happy bunny at all !

:(

steph all is not lost have a look at your earth simulations folder on the c drive can you PM me ahow it looks? I have been in touch with someone  who creates scenery for ES and he has removed completely the ES program so thaqt the directory looks like a normal one for scenery.

Thanks Nigel..

You're a star

Sending PM now

Hopefully you can make some sense of it... I don't have a clue what should be there or not..

I'm in and out tomorrow as I got another candle on the cake yesterday so I'm being spoilt rotten this weekend :D

Let me know if you need any more screen shots.

Thanks Nigel..will log on in a mo to read the full reply :)

Thanks for the Birthday salutations Brett..just in the throws of making lumberjack cake and lemon drizzle cake. Here in England its customary to take in cakes for work colleagues. I would never subject my worst enemy to the Asda offerings. ..