I have two PCs running my FS setup.

I have all my main GA on one PC and than a bunch of things on the second PC such as Plan-G and Panel builder.

I have noticed that when there is a connection running between the two, my whole network slows down dramatically.

I first noticed this when streaming a film on a third networked PC, all was good with the movie, but as soon as the FSUIPC connection was made the streaming slowed down such that I have frequent pauses in the film. Disconnect the FSUIPC device and the film suddenly got better.

Anyone got any suggestions on why this should be?

John, are the computers on a wireless network?  It's a shared medium, so everytime the sim PCs communicate the movie PC has to wait for a gap to get its bits.  If FSUIPC is fairly chatty it could be the cause of your movie issues.  You could fix this with a second wireless access point or by putting the sim PCs on a wired switch.

What does the Task Manager Networking tab show as you start and stop the FS activity?  That should give you an idea of the total bandwidth being used and the relative amounts.

John

The network is wired so it isn't a WiFi issue. I feels like it is generation a shed load of traffic through the router and robbing everything of bandwidth.

WiFi attached devices are also suffering the same problem, so I would expect the problem to be around the one point of contact with all devices. That's my Virgin Media hub

I have a network in my house that consists of the Virgin hub that leads to three switch boxes and a second WiFi access point around the house and then to multiple devices from those access points, some wired some WiFi.  All works well until I connect my two FS PCs together with FSUIPC.  This connection is for Plan G and for Panel Builder.  I think the problem is with Panel Builder and not Plan G.  

I think that I will independently test for the issue to see if I can nail it down to Panel builder and see if I can measure network traffic while I experiment.  - Thanks John for that suggestion.

Hey JG, I'd be interested in your findings because I am also running Plan-G and Panel Builder on a 2nd networked PC (wired).

Let me know how you get on please.

Cheers.

Hello J G.

To find out what process is eating your bandwidth run this software on the suspect machines and recreate the conditions that trigger the problem.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437

It’s a utility from Microsofts technet and runs as a stand alone. Once you have extracted the file, run the .exe named TCPView.

Re-order the listings for ‘sent packets’ to see what process is causing the trouble.

Good luck.

Have you noticed anyissues Brian?

John, check out my latest post regarding my PC. Not running at all well at the moment. Wifey thinks I've got a plan.....pre Xmas. But it's dumbfounding me at the mo'.

Fortunately there was just one bad actor....

One of Allard's Laws of Power Plant Maintenance is that the difficulty of troubleshooting increases as the square of the number of problems. Two parallel problems are four times as hard to nail down as one. Three together and it's nine times as difficult.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have solved this issue.

Panel Builder has two parts, The panel builder itself and the FSUIPC connector and panel starter. I had both running on both of my panel builder operating PCs.  This is not how it works.  You need one session of Panel Builder on each PC running panels, but you only need one instance of the starter.  This instance will start all Panels on all PCs found in your network. having one FSUIPC starter runs with no problems, try to run two instance of the FSUIPC app seems to swamp your network.