My all new look FSX!

Hi all,

I have been wanting to try DX10 for ages so I have just got Steve's DX10 Fixer and Mogwaisoft's Shade today and spent most of the day tweaking, testing and tweaking some more. I have to say I have never seen FSX perform or look like this before. I just had to post this screenshot to share my results with you, which I have to say are nothing short of stunning. This is a dawn screenie with Rex textures and Rex Soft Clouds installed also. I never thought the old girl (FSX) was capable of anything like this.

ChippiewithDX10shade.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all,   I have been wanting to try DX10 for ages so I have just got Steve's DX10 Fixer and Mogwaisoft's Shade today and spent most of the day tweaking, testing and tweaking some more. I have to sa

dx10 and rex rock the first one is FTX Southampton and no ctd's

Looks great, very atmospheric.  

I may have to pick that up soon.

My system is working pretty good without it, so I haven't picked it up or messed with DX10 and Steve's Fixer yet.

I fly on mostly maxed out settings, but, will all the stuff I keep adding, it is getting bogged down a bit around the SFO area on high setting, so I made a reduced settings SimStarter profile for flights into the area...leaving is usually not a problem. I can often land before a CTD, but if I am AirHauling into SFO area, and start hearing "out of memory Bells" I "save flight" in AH, and close everything, then restart from where I left off to ensure I don't lose my progress...kind of a PITA work around.

looks good, I didnt thing DX10 fixer was available, did I also read DX10 is no good with ORBX?

Wayne

Cheers Wayne, the scenery in the shot is ORBX England so yes it does work OK.

FSX with DX10 and Steve's Fixer is a superb combination. (P3D? Who needs it?)     :P

I've been using that combination for over a year now, and wouldn't consider any alternative.

@Wayne and Matt:

If you would like a few hints about configuration and usage, you might be interested in the review here: http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/bc/dx10/dx10.htm

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I may have to pick that up soon.

My system is working pretty good without it, so I haven't picked it up or messed with DX10 and Steve's Fixer yet.

I fly on mostly maxed out settings, but, will all the stuff I keep adding, it is getting bogged down a bit around the SFO area on high setting, so I made a reduced settings SimStarter profile for flights into the area...leaving is usually not a problem. I can often land before a CTD, but if I am AirHauling into SFO area, and start hearing "out of memory Bells" I "save flight" in AH, and close everything, then restart from where I left off to ensure I don't lose my progress...kind of a PITA work around.

CTD are a thing of the past in DX10 as the graphics load is handled solely by the GPU instead of the CPU sharing the work. This reduces VAS usage and frees up resources for everything non graphics related. Therefore no more OOMs! :D

FSX with DX10 and Steve's Fixer is a superb combination. (P3D? Who needs it?)     :P

I've been using that combination for over a year now, and wouldn't consider any alternative.

If you would like a few hints about configuration and usage, you might be interested in the review here: http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/bc/dx10/dx10.htm

Cheers,

bruce
a.k.a. brian747

I read the review and also downloaded the DX10 How to guide which was invaluable in setting up FSX.cfg and Nvidia Inspector correctly to work in DX10. For anyone who is thinking of trying DX10, here is the link for the how to guide http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?88271-DX10-quot-How-to-quot-Guide-a-new-home!

A time consuming task but worth every minute.

> "A time consuming task but worth every minute."

:D    Absolutely.  As the old saying goes, 'there's no gain without pain'.

I do feel a little bit sorry for those who haven't caught on to The Fixer, though.   :mellow:

Cheers,

B.

Hi Brian,

I've been (possibly) misled by PMDG. I know you're a big user of their products. I'm pleasantly surprised to see your comment in the quote as I'm one of "those".

I have been messing around with the PMDG 737NGX for quite some time now and I'm not happy with the FSX representation of the aircraft. I don't get any CTD, but I do get the "hesitations" (flicker?) and the blurries all the time. I use FSX and Acceleration with DX11. I'm also one of the unfortunates without enough space in my desktop machine to mount a full-height video card, so I'm using a compact ATI card.

I've read your review of the Fixer but haven't made any moves to try it out due to this one line in the PMDG introduction PDF: 

Preview DirectX 10: Turn setting off. DX10 does not significantly

enhance the visual quality of the simulator and it exacts a heavy

performance toll in the simulator

Am I being misled by this statement?

Adrian, that is an awesome shot mate, only a few years ago we could never have dreamed to have posted a shot like this!

Cheers Joe, I have no idea why I didn't get on the DX10 train ages ago. I have been missing out on this for ages and when it went off sale, I regretted not getting it while I had the chance. Made up for it now though. The Shade app just puts the cherry on the cake. :D

> "A time consuming task but worth every minute."

:D    Absolutely.  As the old saying goes, 'there's no gain without pain'.

I do feel a little bit sorry for those who haven't caught on to The Fixer, though.   :mellow:

Cheers,

B.

Hi Brian,

I've been (possibly) misled by PMDG. I know you're a big user of their products. I'm pleasantly surprised to see your comment in the quote as I'm one of "those".

I have been messing around with the PMDG 737NGX for quite some time now and I'm not happy with the FSX representation of the aircraft. I don't get any CTD, but I do get the "hesitations" (flicker?) and the blurries all the time.

I've read your review of the Fixer but haven't made any moves to try it out due to this one line in the PMDG introduction PDF: 

Preview DirectX 10: Turn setting off. DX10 does not significantly

enhance the visual quality of the simulator and it exacts a heavy

performance toll in the simulator

Am I being misled by this statement?

DX10 mode on it's own in FSX is broken and was only half finished by the devs. The DX10 fixer attempts to put right all the anomalies that you will experience if you tried just DX10 on it's own from within FSX. The statement from PMDG refers to the Preview mode on it's own without the fixer, which would create numerous problems with anything in your sim, not just PMDG aircraft. Their statement is true as they are not taking fixes into account.

Adrian

^_^    Thank you, Adrian.

@JohnM

Time moves on, and what PMDG wrote was probably correct at the time they wrote it. But since then Steve Parsons has changed the whole ballgame as far as DX10 is concerned, providing us with patches that bring DX10 from being merely a preview to being (almost) fully operative. (That's the paid for version of the Fixer, of course, not Steve's freebies)..

But (as Adrian very sensibly did) in May 2015 you do need to download the up to date version of the DX10 guide from the link that he gave — and obviously my review also needs to be read bearing in mind that it was written over a year ago, and some of the details may need to be updated.

Any DX11 card is backward compatible with DX10, of course — but then if you've read the review you'll know all about that.    ;)

Cheers,

B.

right I am away all weekend but will read this on return, now where should I go to purchase DX10 Fixer.....

@Wayne and Matt:

Cheers,

bruce
a.k.a. brian747

okay, I found the link from the review to Steves blog, now I tried DX10 Preveiw like he said to do before you buy, all running very well however I have some black boxes that are usually buildings, that is why I thought in the past DX10 and ORBX didnt play well, did I miss something or are these black boxes caused by something else. Sorry I cant post pics on here...

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

To post pics here simply sign up to photobucket or similar.

Then upload your screenshots to that site.

Click on the picture with photobucket and copy the IMG tag and paste that into your post on Mutley's Hangar.

Make sure to delete everything outside of the tags though.

There will be one at each end of pasted link.

Good luck.

@Brian and Adrian,

Thanks for the info. Appears I need to look into the DX10 Fixer in a bit more depth. And here I thought this was going to be a simple weekend with a bit of sailing, a bit of simming, and maybe a cold one (or two).

• Like 1

okay, I found the link from the review to Steves blog, now I tried DX10 Preveiw like he said to do before you buy, all running very well however I have some black boxes that are usually buildings, that is why I thought in the past DX10 and ORBX didnt play well, did I miss something or are these black boxes caused by something else. Sorry I cant post pics on here...

Wayne

That's exactly what will happen in DX10 preview mode without the fixer. It was never completely finished by the devs when FSX was made, therefore problems like this (and worse) will occur. That's what the fixer puts right.

Adrian

> "And here I thought this was going to be a simple weekend...."

<grin>  Yeah, I know the feeling well: funny how flight simming can spring those surprises on you...    :P

As I mention in the review, there's a bit of work involved to get it up and running (if you have an NVidia card then you'll have to cuddle up to the Inspector, if it's ATI then you need the equivalent — see the latest version of the Guide) but once that's done then kiss goodbye to Out of Memory errors and say hello to improved performance, with your graphics card taking a bigger share of the load. The stunning pictures posted in this thread speak for themselves. Oh, and you may need to check out your scenery providers in case they have issued any DX10-specific patches — for example, FlyTampa originally sneered at DX10, but later changed their minds bigtime and hastily issued patches to support it.

One final suggestion: when using a search engine on this topic I'd recommend filtering out any search results that are more than a year old, since they may well have been superseded by The Fixer and subsequent events, so that they're now irrelevant.....

(Just my 2ȼ, Caveat Emptor, YMMV, etc etc).   ;)

Good luck,

Brian