01%20Banner.jpg 

Just published is Brian Buckley's review of Alabeo's Diamond DA42 'Twin Star'.

This is a relatively new aircraft bristling with the latest technologies, how does this version shape up? Read On...

Very good review.

I have this and agree it's a superbly modeled airplane...and a joy to fly.

I think I got it on sale (I am a complete sucker for a good sale :( and my overblown hanger is proof of it) so the price wasn't an issue.

I guess Brian knocked down a point for the interior because of the FD button? (I never noticed that myself, but then, I don't know wtf it does anyhow...it is just a button that lites up when I use autopilots so far as I know :P  ). If that is the only issue, I'd have still given the interior a 10, or at least a 9.75482 :D, cuz it's lovely inside this plane.

I'm not a fan of glass cockpits, but this one is Very easy to use. My only problem with it, and it is across the board with nearly all glass cockpits, I have to zoom up alot to see the numbers on the faces (52 YO eyes, with monitor set to as high resolution as possible = small numbers on MFDs usualy.) I like the insta-glance aspect of dial guages.

Flight wise and immersion wise this is a beauty.

Good value IMO.

A good read Brian (I read the entire review :P:):D  ).

Cheers

Matt.

Well written and very enthusiastic review. I have no doubts that the reviewer like the AC

Just one thing from me this time and its a general one regarding Mutley´s reviews (and most other reviews):

Performance on your computer. You write it has a slight dip in fames (fps). IMHO, since this is very important info for the consumer it would be a good idea that Mutley´s reviews had a standard way of meassuring fps. I will suggest: Take a similar default AC (in this case the Baron) a similar place, with the same settings, weather etc. and compare. Its important that its in a place where fps is an issue, like flying over a big city like London and not over open water or something similar. By doing so, the reader can make his own judgement.

That's a very good point, Anders. Some FSX helicopter models are almost unfliable, not because the flight dynamics are too complex, but because low framerates (i.e. < 10 fps) introduce a time-lag into the feedback loop.

Be interesting what the other reviewers think...

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

Hi Anders

Thanks for your feedback, we don't benchmark flightsim software as we don't have a laboratory set up, all software would have to be tested on one machine with a vanilla FSX installation.

Our review discliamer clearly advises the reader must only interpret and evaluate the applicability of each review to their own circumstances. 

We include the specifications of the review machine for this reason.

Hope that helps

Joe

If you flew the Baron over lets say London, saved the flight and loaded again, changed to the reviewed AC, you´ll get some kind of Benchmark. In my opinion it would be way better than no benchmark. It should, of course, be stated in the review that the fps was monitored that way and that it might be different on other PC´s, depending on hardware and software. At least it would be some kind of guidance. Its sooo annoying to buy an AC that doesnt run on your system.

And finally, since I know from personal experience that saying something about the reviews here often provokes strong opinions, let me say that I´m not being critical, this should be considered possitive critisism. And I havent said a word about anyone. Ok?  :hat:

And I havent said a word about anyone. Ok? 

Not sure I get your point there.

I have given you a response as to why we can't benchmark, what you are suggesting above just wouldn't be relevant to the users machine, only the reviewers so makes it irrelevant.