Vulcan bomber, last chance to see her fly!

In case you didn't know chaps, this is your chance to see the Vulcan fly.

At the end of the air show season she will fly no more.

Sadly, the aircraft has amassed 10% more flying hours than any Vulcan, and in addition it's getting difficult in terms of finding the skills required to service 1950's technology.

If you want to see XH558 fly one more time, make sure you get to an airshow.

Link includes video. 

The last flying Vulcan bomber aircraft will not be able to take to the skies after the 2015 display season, its owners have said.

The plane, registered as XH558, based at Robin Hood Airport in South Yorkshire, has previously faced funding problems and technical issues.

But now engineering backers, including Rolls-Royce, have withdrawn support.

Charity Vulcan to the Sky Trust, which runs the aircraft, said the plane was beyond its flying hours.

The plane originally arrived at RAF Waddington in 1960 and was the last Vulcan to leave RAF service.

In October 2012 it was decided "challenging modifications" to both wings would not be sustainable to the old aircraft but those problems were overcome.

Now its Leicestershire-based owner have said the aircraft's age and withdrawal of technical support makes its future unviable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-32920274

So glad I got to see this big bird.

I saw her at an air show at RAF Leuchars before the RAF moved out of Leuchars and now she is destined for a museum. Two sad occasions. But at least I've seen her up close and personal.

If you haven't witnessed this icon of the RAF, do try and get to see her in the skies, where she belongs, before it's too late.

It's lovely to see her but nothing lasts forever. I'd rather she retired with dignity and was preserved than end her days on a scrap heap as most of her sisters have done.  Some people think these old warhorses can go on forever, but as we all know , that just isn't possible. I was at Farnborough when she made her return to flight and it was an amazing sight. I've seen her lots of times since and have a whole stack of photos.  Maybe the time has come now to find another equally deserving aircraft to keep flying. We know it's beyond possibility to restore a Nimrod or Concorde to flight. British Airways and Airbus conspired to make sure the latter cannot do so. Like the Vulcan, Victor and Nimrod are old tech jets that need a lot of work to maintain them. The CAA will not allow fast jets to fly in civilian hands over here, so where does that leave us. There was a flyable Britannia at Kemble a few years ago but I doubt it is now. How about the other Lanc, "Just Jane" ? By all accounts she's almost flight ready, but of course she's privately owned. What other large British aircraft are out there that could potentially be returned to flight? Further what other aircraft could capture public support like the Vulcan. A Harrier or two might, A Buccaneer, Canberra. I guess it depends on the willpower of the preservers, the goodwill of the sponsors and of course money!  Finally the CAA coming to their senses and allowing more modern warbirds to be flown in this country by civilians! we can but hope!

:to_clue:   I too have been up close and also seen her fly lots of times over the past few years she will be sadly missed by us all. To think  that after this year we will never ever get to see her take to the skies with a Roar and Whine followed by a trail of black smoke then her famous wingover   :wow:  That is one sight I will never forget. :hat::salute:

The Hunter is a second generation aircraft Kieran, I'm aware of all the Hunters, However they won't allow aircraft such as the Lightning, Buccaneer, Jaguar or Harrier to fly in civilian hands.

Great thread. I have to say that I agree with Alan: the time comes for aircraft (and also human beings, for that matter) when they should be allowed to die with dignity without their life being unnaturally prolonged.

But on a much more trivial note, allow me to contribute a light-hearted Vulcan story.

In the late 70s I was doing a stretch on the staff of the Royal Air Force College, Cranwell, Lincolnshire. Known to the irreverent as "Sleaford Tech" owing to its proximity to that small market town, it was obviously necessary for us to make occasional visits to Lincoln to obtain various necessities. I mention this because the road to Lincoln was the A15, which ran past RAF Waddington where the Vulcans were based. The threshold of rwy 20 was close to the road, and so traffic lights were installed to stop the traffic whenever a Vulcan should happen to be landing a few feet above.

On the day in question I was following a rather tatty (and slow) van on the A15 towards Lincoln when the lights turned red just ahead of us. I naturally stopped immediately (allegedly possessing a certain knowledge of aerodynamics) but the van must have decided to risk it, and so it continued past the red light. I was therefore in an excellent position to observe the ensuing events.

The van had reached exactly the point where the road passed the runway threshold when the vast shape of the Vulcan appeared out of the Lincolnshire murk just above him. He didn't stand a chance. The van was lifted up, spun neatly onto its side, and deposited by the side of the road all in about a second. Happily, the driver wasn't seriously hurt, but I have to admit that the view from where I was sitting was somewhat comic.    :cool:

The last photo I took of a Vulcan in the air was at the Farnborough International Airshow in 2012:

Vulcan_Fboro_2012_zps7iropdcx.jpg

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

P.S. I agree about the VC10, Chris. A beautiful and delightful aircraft (as long as the yaw dampers were working).   :P

B.

• Like 2

Great story Bruce. I saw her when she visited Hastings, I swear the whole town was there to see those unmistakable lines and hear her air splitting sounds. We watched in silence and I think everyone found it a moving experience. Such a pity this year is her swansong.

• Like 1

@John

It's great when they get what they deserve, isn't it?    :P   <cough>   And can you imagine the hits that the dashboard cam video would have received on YouTube — but sadly, dashboard cams and YouTube were a long way in the future at that point. My toy back in Cranwell in those days was a newly-installed VAX cluster.....   <nostalgic sigh>

Anyway, here's just one more light-hearted Vulcan story where certain people got their just deserts — a very good friend of mine who flew in Vulcans for many years told me this one, which concerns a certain airshow in Europe.

They were parked up at the end of the show awaiting clearance to start engines and taxy, when Jim noticed that some spectators had made their way into the area and were sitting on top of some straw bales situated some way back behind the aircraft. Now those four engines developed 20,000 lbs of thrust each, and although 200 yards might seem a long way away, there was obviously some concern. So a crew member waved to the spectators, indicating that they should vacate the area.

The spectators energetically gesticulated back, clearly indicating their determination to stay right where they were. Or words to that effect.

This situation was reported to the Captain, who gave a wintry smile. "Are you still watching them, Jim?", he enquired. Jim indicated that he was. "OK", said the Captain, "starting 1". As the engines spooled up, Jim was entertained to see the spectators' heels flip straight up into the air as they were blown backwards off the bales.

(This was, of course, in the days before anyone had heard of a mythical concept called "Health and Safety"...).

The aircraft took off on schedule.

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

• Like 1

I suppose this day had to come.  :mellow: It saddens me greatly as this is one of the flying aircraft I love to see at airshows.

I have seen this aircraft fly many times.  I recall seeing her fly at Brands Hatch as part of the show that was a Grand Prix. She flew low over us and the noise was so loud that my ears couldn't cope with it. I lost the roar to a strange juddering sound as my eardrums failed to keep up with the pressure wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU_X5QYBSto

• Like 1
I recall seeing her fly at Brands Hatch as part of the show that was a Grand Prix. She flew low over us and the noise was so loud that my ears couldn't cope with it. I lost the roar to a strange juddering sound as my eardrums failed to keep up with the pressure wave.

Those were the days. The days when you visited an airshow and the aircraft flew super low and "over your head". Closest I got to that recently was at Fairford. My daughter son and me decided to park our bums at the end of the runway. An A10 turned hard at the end of the runway right over us. Shock horror! What would health and safety say.

Many years ago, guess I was about 17 or so, I used to sit on the shed at the bottom of our garden with my pet Siamese cat. During one such occasion, I glanced to my left and there was a Vulcan, banking hard and ultra low. Shocked by what I saw, I ran in the house and grabbed the newspaper. Sure enough, there was an airshow locally. When I say and airshow, it was actually over Billesley Common. Yes, that's right, a common, not an airfield at all. 

I rang my friend and we shot down there on the bus. Can't recall if we got there in time for the Vulcan, but the Red Arrows in their Gnats were super low and directly above us. Fantastic stuff. I swear if you'd thrown something in the air you could hit them.

I remember a fantastic show in Devon too. Think it was maybe Barnstaple. A Lightning flew super low over our heads then a full power vertical climb. Gone in seconds he was. Stunning!

I feel sorry for young aviation enthusiasts these days. Yes, health and safety is very important, and it's right that restrictions are in place. But sad that you guys will get a watered down version of an airshow.

> 'The days when you visited an airshow and the aircraft flew super low and "over your head".'

<grin> Absolutely. And the very best for that used to be the RAF "Families Day" shows, when the station welcomed the families and kids and grannies — the whole works. Those displays, especially the ones at operational stations where a significant percentage of the audience were pilots, were notable for low passes that wouldn't (even then) be allowed at a public display; and looking back I think it's safe to say that a certain element of competition began to set in. So, sadly, even the RAF's own airshows had to be tamed eventually, following an occasion when (allegedly — I wasn't there to see it, sadly) the top brass and the mayor and the Station Commander in the VIP enclosure at the front were blown clean off their chairs by one unbelievably low pass — that also scared the **** out of the kids and deafened those grannies that weren't already hard of hearing.

But I treasure too many memories of those far-off days — I'd better keep schtum or I'll find myself in the Tower....    :whis:  

Cheers,

B.

• Like 1

I was at an airshow at NAS Jacksonville a few years ago and was on the ramp near the extreme end. A USAF F-15 was there and gave a flight demo. He ended with a high speed pass and went to burners and vertical at the end. He kind of "cut the corner" and passed almost directly over me as he pulled up and I could feel the noise through the soles of my shoes.

John

Unfortunately incidents such as the Ramstein air base accident kind of started the 'decline' of really tight displays.

Just like railways and railtours - many photos from the 70s and 80s of mass track invasion by railtour passengers.

Hopefully will get the Vulcan at East Midlands or Newark

Great to see that the Vulcan will be doing a fly past at my local airshow over Herne Bay sea front  on 15th. August. The only problem is how do I get to video and  also take pic's at the same time ? :stars:

• Like 1