Some Pago and Samoa.

I added Pago Pago to my ORBx collection.

Love to island hop.

I used to run an Airhauler base in the Somoas because of the relative close flights between the 7-8 airfields in the chain. Fun and relatively picturesque hauling with a couple challenging fields. I'll be reopening a company there now...the picturesque part just got a huge shot in the arm. :)

A few "pop in" shots in the CH-47 I made while deciding which location to open a new shop...it certainly WON'T be HI36...glad I did the exercise, because I recall starting there before as it was the cheapest of the lot iirc.

Pago Pago NSTU:

NSTU%20PAGO.jpg

FAQ, Tau Island - American Somoa.

FAQ.jpg

This is clearly not on the list of airports worked on by ORBx...but it is/Was on the FSX map previously, now there seems to be nothing there for HI36...I was unceremoniously plopped down in the middle of a stand of trees when I first loaded this area up. Closest place to land my chopper was this (most likely a roof from the photo textures) circular area nearby. :(  Looks like a spot close enough for a custom Airhauler Chopper pad anyhow, because AH will probably still generate jobs for this "airfield".

hi36%20maybe.jpg

z08: Ofu Village Apt. Ofu - American Somoa.

zo8.jpg

NSFI: Fagali - Somoa. Mind the flocks of birds.

NSFI.jpg

NSFA: Faleolo Intl, Apia - Somoa

NSFA1.jpg

NSMA: Maoto Airport, Salelologa - Samoa (I think this will be my starter base for Air Hauler...close to 3 other fields, decent size runway, has a couple parking spots to fit a couple Twotters.)

NSMA.jpg

NSAU: Asau Airport, Asau - Samoa

NSAU.jpg

Cheers.

Thanks for joining me on the reconnoiter run.

• Like 1

Interesting. NSAU and NSMA weren't recongnized by AirHauler till updating after installing this addon. Cool. Two new fields.

Unfortunately, HI36 is still listed there, and listed as a 0ft runway...but no pad in the location, again, except that circular patch I found nearby...something I'll have to keep in mind for when a job pops there.

Pidgin

"inchgo pritee like um fair fellow takum foto of place I'm likin live the lifetime"..

"likum pngman he blowed the poison dart onto kelihopter to window-screen in 1,3,& 4"..

:D :D :D

OMG...haha. Nice one James. Took me a minute to figure out what you were on about....hehe.

fyi, that is a "Wind tell" for those unfamiliar with this chopper...a very useful feature to help figure out your relative side motion and cross winds.

• Like 1

Nice shots matt....bought my first orbx airfield yesterday... KORS...love it..i can see me getting more....detail is great but big orbx issues for me in fsxse luckily i have p3d...

Wayne

From Yesterday's haul across the entire region in this Very nice sharky Twotter...Thanks for these paints Jankees, they are generic enough to use anywhere I fly twotters. :D

This is the best "Airport" deal ever...so much territory is covered by the Pago Pago scenery...including a whole lot of water of course :D.

Somoa%20Scene%201.jpg

Somoa%20land%202.jpg

Somoa%20Land%201.jpg

Somoa%20Land%203.jpg

Somoa%20Land%204.jpg

Cheers!

Samoa%20sunset.jpg

Matt,

I was doing some extra research on HI36.  This was definitely only ever a helipad and looking at it on Google Earth it appears to be reasonably representative of typical helipads in the Pacific Islands - very tight.  Having worked in PNG and some of the Pacific Islands on helo ops in a previous life, what they call a helipad is often a spot on the ground with just enough rotor and tail boom clearance and some markings to aim for.  There was a similar one at Isurava in the FTX: PI AYPY Jacksons International Airport scenery.  I think Orbx have, again, actually captured the essence of HI36 as it is in the real world.  In other words, to be only attempted by serious rotorheads.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

Great shots, I fear I must pick this package up in a very near future!!

Looking at the area around HI36 in Google Earth the shot you provided looks spot on, but I can't help but wonder where that heli-pad actually is located, because as you say those circular can't be it. The brown one is most likely a roof of some sort and the grey bit might be a stone wall.

On google Earth it looks like there is a clearing in the woods just south of the buildings, with a small road going up to it, could that be it if it's present in FSX??

I think you are correct Stu...the clearing at that road is probably the actual pad. Unfortunately, the spot you are dumped out in is the spot shown on Google earth, in the middle of a bunch of trees.

This the RL spot in the ORBx scenery, pretty darn accurate compared to Google earth, cept for the trees in the middle. The road is there too.

HI36%20over%20it.jpg

There is still room to get a copter in though.

HI36%20landed%20at%20spot.jpg

This is where FSX dumps you when you select HI36...but, note the accuracy compared to Google Earth...extremely good job ORBx folks!!!

ORBx Earth:

HI36%20f12%20shot.jpg

The Earth:

HI36%20area%20google%20earth.jpg

Thanks for helping me track this down Andrew and Stu.

Glad to be of assistance ;)

Looks like the position where you spawn in  FSX corresponds fairly well with the misplaced airport marker in Google Earth as well  ;)

Looks like the position where you spawn in  FSX corresponds fairly well with the misplaced airport marker in Google Earth as well   ;)

Yes, the two concentric circles at the 11 o'clock position to the airport marker and to the right of the large building is the actual location of the helipad and also coincides with ground markings in the FTX: PI NSTU scenery.

Cheers

Andrew

Very nice collection of shots chaps, shows off the scenery very nicely indeed - something else to add to the list of things to buy when my visa card recovers :rofl:

• Like 1

Looks like the position where you spawn in  FSX corresponds fairly well with the misplaced airport marker in Google Earth as well   ;)

Yes, the two concentric circles at the 11 o'clock position to the airport marker and to the right of the large building is the actual location of the helipad and also coincides with ground markings in the FTX: PI NSTU scenery.

Cheers

Andrew

hmmm...I don't know. You may be correct, it is hard to tell from the google maps images as it doesn't have a Street View for the area :)...but those concentric rings look like some kind of fence...perhaps a trellis? In the sim the spot is EXTREMELY tight and I landed my Chop Chop on what turned out to be the building roof during my first visit.  My money is on the dirt clearing at the end of the crappy road found thanks to you guy's help...which is where I will place a custom Air Hauler heli pad for future hauling.

Cheers.

Gday folks, been enjoying the screenshots and noticed the discussion on the 'missing in action' HI36

Hi36-Tau Airport: was a 661 x 30 m private airstrip made of compacted coral, dirt and grass, it existed up until the very early 90s, it was a busy little airport in its day, being a tricky location it had 3 accidents during its time:

1979 - Twinotter - Heavy landing caused plane to slide and crash into the trees. all OK

1984 - Twinotter - Elevator control cable snapped on final, causing the nose to rise suddenly, pilot steered it in using throttle and flap control, but ultimately collided with the terminal building and a vehicle. 1 fatality

1989 - Twinotter - Descended fast on final approach. Application of full power couldn't prevent the aircraft from impacting the ground short of the runway. all OK

Then sometime around 1993>> ish, the larger FAQ-Fitiuta Airport was built to replace it and is seen in our rendition of the Manu'a islands, Tau Airport was left to melt into the bush so we modeled it just the way it currently is

Apart from that info, I know absolutely nothing else about HI36, could not even find a single picture...!

Little piccy below from GE showing the approx location and orientation

BtEoIDM.jpg

Cheers!

Tim.

Thanks for that Tim (and for the brilliant work on the Pago scenery...very fun place to fly)! Looks like the roadway was the entrance to the strip then.

I did in fact get a cargo assigned to HI36 last night, so I leased a Milviz Bell 404 and created an AH parking spot in that clearing by the end of the road...my guess is that is the previous location of the terminal.