I believe it was John Allard that posted a link to this idea...finally got around to "Make it So".

BorgIr...virtualy wireless...cept for that bird nest on top :)

BorgIr.jpg

#2 best improvement to flight sim after TrackIr itself... not having 2 long cables snagging TIr device and the wired headset, when you reach for a beer in flight.

Ya ya...ball cap reflector/house speaker people don't have this problem. You just have to wear a hat. I always found the brim cut off the reflectors too soon when I tried that option, I get far better range of Real Head motion with the ProClip...just my experience possibly due to my cramped sitting quarters stuffed into a sailboat.

I don't plan on trimming the cord, but will probably wrap it better...for the option of returning to wired, or selling it in future.

I also plan on finding a smaller usb battery. I have two that would have worked Great, including a tiny 2600 mh one that weighs next to nothing, but they both have built in Auto Shutoff features when they detect a charged device...the LEDs on the TrackIr are such low draw that the batteries don't sense them needing "any more charge"...and shut of after 11 and 18 seconds respectively :( .

The one I am using now is from a Vape Unit that has the option to use as a device charger/power supply. Heavy, but I got used to it pretty quickly...but lighter would be nicer for sure.

Cheers,

Matt

Coff.

• Like 1

I believe it would work best with the battery pack in a shirt pocket. Also, I use mine with the IR LED "stalks" folded down almost flat against my cheek. works fine that way and not so much to snag.

I think someone else put me on to this - Quickmarch maybe.

Good implementation, though, and good info about the "smart" battery packs cutting off. I guess a dumb one is best, which is sometimes the case.

Thanks for posting that.

John

@ Matt :

"Ya ya...ball cap reflector/house speaker people don't have this problem. You just have to wear a hat. I always found the brim cut off the reflectors too soon when I tried that option, I get far better range of Real Head motion with the ProClip... "

Being one of these people, I am quite sure the Pro Clip is more efficient (looking at the price it's the least they can do...) but I don't have problems with the standard reflectors. As I said in the other thread it's only a matter of tuning the right profiles for you. It took me some time to get the right ones ( different ones for FSX / Condor or WW1 combat sims where I need quick looks in my six... )

My wife already has some kind of smile when she sees me with the golf cap, even after some years now, I can imagine she would laugh out loud if I had your stuff on the head with batteries and lights !   :D 

EDIT : however, I must say this looks like a clever solution to reach for the beer, which in these warm summer days is almost vital.

The biggest advantages of the Track Clip Pro are...

1) Active LED light sources, not reflectors. Better response. Rejects backlighting and reflective surfaces behind you.

2) No need to figure out how to use a headset AND a hat.

John

I believe it would work best with the battery pack in a shirt pocket. Also, I use mine with the IR LED "stalks" folded down almost flat against my cheek. works fine that way and not so much to snag.

I think someone else put me on to this - Quickmarch maybe.

Good implementation, though, and good info about the "smart" battery packs cutting off. I guess a dumb one is best, which is sometimes the case.

Thanks for posting that.

John

Thanks to John March if due! ...I knew a John was involved somehow :)

I returned the tiny charger unit today and picked up parts to wire a double AA battery box to a Female USB socket...I am making my own battery supply for it. Since the draw is so tiny a charger detects it as "charged", I'm suspecting two AA's will last for years. :)

If 3Vdc isn't enough, I'll get a 4 battery box and modify it for 4.5V (3 batteries) if 6V (4) is too much...couldn't find a 3 battery holder in the store.

I hadn't considered folding the led stalk down John A. I'll give that try, it may give a more centered head view for the zero point reference, and better action maybe. I had become enamored of the Borg Style and stuck with it, in part because it kept the stalk way out of the way of the cords on that side while reaching for that beer...I have to consider the drunk and clumsy factor when configuring my system. :D

((Update...3V is not enough to light the LEDs. I Cob'd 3 batteries together and that lit em up. I'll pick up a 3 or 4 battery case when I get the chance, it's working for now if a bit heavy))

That looks nice Loic. I sure wouldn't mind a tinier headset...but wireless is a must for me now that I have tried my BorgtoothIr.

I like the more robust construction of the IR wand support...and frankly it wouldn't be all that hard to make one like it from scratch...food for thought.

They seem to have a new battery powered clip, and although it can replace a TiR Pro Clip I think the main idea behind is to make it work with a modified PS3 Eye Camera, which makes the whole system sold for 44 GBP !

I hadn't considered folding the led stalk down John A. I'll give that try, it may give a more centered head view for the zero point reference, and better action maybe

I do have my TrackIR camera offset way to the left side of my monitor, since the LEDs are on the left side of the headset.  It's a 32" (diagonal, of course) display and the camera centerline is about 4" in from the left edge of the case.

John

Wain, the power pack in the picture is from a ECig vaporizer unit. I make my own coffee, citrus, and cinnamon flavored nicotine-free vape juices.

The battery unit is very heavy, and I am working on better options.

Froogle must have been lucky to find a power pack that doesn't shut itself off. I am trying a new one that I found at RadioShack today, & I purchased a 4 AAA battery box... In case the former doesn't work.

Whoot. Radio Shack Power Supply did the trick, only 8 bucks, and hardly notice the weight. Phew...rewiring a AAA battery box would have worked, but this is a far more elegant, easier, and a rechargeable solution...not that I will ever have to recharge this thing, unless the juice leaks out on it's own after time.

BorgIR Beta V.2

BorgIR%20V2.jpg'

There is only one problem left to solve, and it might require returning the headset. I can't get this POS to connect via the bluetooth thingy I bought for the purpose. My phone doesn't even recognize the headset.

BorgIR Alpha may have a completely different headset.

By the way, I would like to segue into an unsolicited endorsement for Radio Shack Stores. They are having a hard time lately, closing stores and such to consolidate, never a good sign (...the closest to me closed recently or I would have had this battery issue solved over the weekend :(  )

Radio Shack has bailed me out of Electrical component stuff countless times...be it a spool of wire, solder, odd connectors, these battery boxes. It's one of the last Chain Stores to carry actual stuff to Build stuff. as opposed to stores that sell stuff already built (though they have lots of consumer electronic gismos and accessories/gifts too.)

Even if you don't need electrical components today, if you want a place to buy them tomorrow, buy today's batteries and earbuds, and misc accesories at Radio Shack instead of the grocery store to help keep RS alive for when we NEED them.

Cheers.

Matt...who does NOT own Radio Shack Stock, but likes knowing they are nearby.

I agree that it's a great place to find things you'd have a hard time finding anywhere else, but they've been dying on the vine for a long time. I note that more and more they are a cell phone store and everything else seems to be a sideline. The are still a good resource but they used to be a lot better.

John.

Here is the final version. BorgIr Alpha...Prepare to be aSimulated.

BorgIr%20Alpha.jpg

The headset is a Plantronics wireless gaming headset...screw the bluetooth transmitter which never found the Red Headset. I returned the headset and BT device and traded for this one. This headset hooked right up, sounds good, and the microphone checked out in a test Screencast vid made last night. Only downside of this set is the Very light weight of the headset...the battery caused it to slip/pitch up or down...mounting the battery lower mitigated that by lowering the weight.

I like that this headset has volume controls on one ear, handier than reaching over to the keyboard...might also useful when watching a movie from the other side of the room. :D

Cheers.

Matt.

This headset is working great. I lowered the battery so that it is horizontal and as low on the ear cup as possible, and the pitching problem is gone, unless I really whip my head around ofc. The horizontal battery arrangement also helps work as a Base, to set the headset down.

The lighter weight of the headset and battery is VERY nice...so glad I had to switch headsets.