Leg 34 - Pago Pago Int (NSTU) - Cassidy Int (PLCH)

A nice, quite leg for a change - just transporting 80 tonnes of bulky cargo to the Christmas Islands.

This leg carried a Minimum MTOW restriction. This naturally limited the choice of aircraft quite a bit, considering the high MTOW. Having been contacted to transport 80 tonnes of railway equipment (what else?) to the Christmas Islands, the choice narrowed even more. Only one company was willing to work with me

-2015-sep-4-004_zpst1fks3gm.jpg

Yep - Volga Dneper and one of the An-124's that is in the fleet. By the time I arrive, most of the loading is complete

However, the door is still open by the time that I reach the cockpit via the loading ramp and the ladders

-2015-sep-4-005_zpsvay6kekz.jpg

Eventually the door starts to close as we rise up

-2015-sep-4-009_zpsfla5ftnq.jpg

A nice little tail camera to assist in taxiing

-2015-sep-4-014_zpshkwidnis.jpg

I'm a touch bigger than the other residents at Pago Pago - we did our best not to blow them over!

-2015-sep-4-019_zpsv0iybgmb.jpg

Lined up and raring to go. My Croation co-pilot calls out "Može!" or "Go!" in English

-2015-sep-4-022_zpswlxyetev.jpg

With plenty of room to spare, we rotate off the runway into the Pacific skies

-2015-sep-4-026_zpsn6lzpg9n.jpg

Clawing our way up to our initial cruise height of 25,000ft, to be increased to 30,000ft once some fuel has been burnt

-2015-sep-4-039_zpsnlzxrrs3.jpg

Soon, however, the sun is setting

-2015-sep-4-049_zpsaieez7co.jpg

-2015-sep-4-057_zpscpyicrh5.jpg

Rapidly night falls

-2015-sep-4-081_zpsykhbbd0g.jpg

After three hours of gentle cruising above the Pacific, we finally start to head back to earth again

-2015-sep-4-079_zpsx9w8v9qt.jpg

The airport is somewhere down there.....

-2015-sep-4-088_zps9msghjaj.jpg

Airport in sight - but the tower controller reports a faulty ILS - a nice dark manual landing so!

-2015-sep-4-089_zpsjan4suqy.jpg

A bit high but avoiding some trees

-2015-sep-4-092_zpszipxy38h.jpg

An early touchdown gives plenty of room to slow down

-2015-sep-4-094_zpsvokp7whw.jpg

Taxi cam view as we slowly edge around the airport

-2015-sep-4-098_zpsojiexqc9.jpg

And finally parked up, allowing the relief crew to start unloading

-2015-sep-4-102_zps8gjr6sks.jpg

Jess - over to you!

Aircraft used - Thomas Ruth An-124 (Updated)

What a whopper (as the actress said to the Bishop) A truly humongous beast to be flying around the islands. Well done indeed!

Is that 80 tons of railway equipment or, given it is a Russian aircraft and there are no railways on American Samoa, 80 tons of "railway equipment" ?  

Can I look forward to a Kremlin announcement that pro-Russian separatists (with no markings on their uniforms) have claimed the Island for Mother Russia? :P   

I agree with JG, something smells fishy in the islands this trip..."quiet" indeed, too quiet, possibly to allow shenanigans in our midst. It would indeed be a shame if Mutley's ATWC good cache gets smeared by a Russian plot, damn that Putinfeld :(

But good job island hopping in that beast. Putting that tonnage down on a postage stamp in the dark would not be my first choice for fun (Although we did similar in a C5A a few sections back...yeah, for sure, not fun.)

• Like 1

Of course it was railway equipment! Real cargoes do exist, and if you have a cargo-shifting aircraft such as the Antonov *someone* will want to use it.

This place has too many conspiracy theorists....    ;)

Nice flight, Chuck, and excellent choice of aircraft. I especially like the fact that the kneeling capability to make front loading easier was modelled — and it looks great in the air.

(I'd gently suggest avoiding early landings in that thing, though, or your gear will cut a serious swathe through approach lights and perimeter fences).     ^_^

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

This place has too many conspiracy theorists....    ;)

Conspiracy theorist - Moi? Surely not!

It's just they all are persecuting me... Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!    :unsure:  

So that was 80 tonnes of tracks to laid down I assume then Kieran... that's going to be one massive railway on such a small Island  ;)'

Still, as others have said, that was a massive feat getting that big hauler down there.. well done!