Any FSX experts out there....?

I have had FSX since shortly after it came out.  I wish to make it clear that I am not an expert in computers....indeed at work I was known for being inept on computers :th_blush:, so please bear this in mind when replying.

I have lost count of the number of time that I have reinstalled FSX and am getting frustrated.  I am hoping that one of you good folk can help.  FSX has crashed yet again, and while the title screen opens, it fails to load up.  When I press ctrl,alt + del, it says that FSX is not responding.  Looking at the info displayed, it seems as though the fsx.exe is not responding.

My question is can this be remedied without having to uninstall and reinstall yet again?  I will also point out that when I do reinstall FSX, I get a similar issue, but I reinsert the FSX disc and a repair screen comes up, I hit repair and it works out.  But in situations like now, I can not seem to find the repair tool on the disc!!  Is there a way of finding that??

Anyway help would be appreciated.  Also, just to let you know, I do have FSX installed on it's own hard drive as I know the default place on the C drive is problematic for the running of FSX.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Martin,

Sorry to give you the stock answer, but have you tried backing up your fsx.cfg, then deleting it followed by a restart of FSX, which will then build a new version?

If you need  to know where this file is then go C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

:hat:

Hi Martin, does this happen on the first load after install? If not the symptoms you describe are the same as if your logbook.bin file is corrupted. Try deleting your logbook.bin file located in:- %user%/Documents/Flight Simulator X Files. I'm afraid that all flight hours in your log book will be gone, however it is worth a shot as this is a likely cause.

Adrian

Ok...I have registered.  I have looked on the site for the download and looked in the FSX section.  I have tried various categories such as Misc. files: etc, but cannot find it.  In what category in FSX drop down menu should I be looking?

Thanks.

From what you describe, it is most likely the corrupted logbook issue. First, follow Mutley's advice re: the .CFG file. If this doesn't work, go to http://library.avsim.net/, register for the library and download a file called FSXLog.exe. This will repair your corrupted logbook. 

Hi Martin,

Sorry to give you the stock answer, but have you tried backing up your fsx.cfg, then deleting it followed by a restart of FSX, which will then build a new version?

If you need  to know where this file is then go C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

:hat:

I have backed up the fsx.cfg, deleted it from the FSX folder in my hard drive and restarted FSX.  It seemed to build up something, presumably what I want.  FSX was rebooted with the result that it is still not starting.  I checked what was happening in the windows that appear after pressing 'ctrl, alt and del' and it appears that fsx.exe is working as it does not say that it is not responding, like before.  By the way, the file called fsx.exe.*32  Is the '32 because FSX is a 32 bit system?

Now I am a bit puzzled....what do I do with the original backed up fsx.cfg (sorry if I sound stupid :th_blush:).  Do I delete the new one which has just been built and replace it with the saved one.....I am a bit confused with the way that it is written.

Maybe someone ought to write a Dummies Guide to Fixing problems in FSX.  It sure would be a large book!! :rofl:

Thanks in advance.

Right!

Nothing lasts forever - see: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1675/fsx-logbook-recovery/

or try the new location on AVSIM: fsxlogrecovery11.zip

Just saying; but your comment in your previous post makes no sense. You said: "I have backed up the fsx.cfg, deleted it from the FSX folder in my hard drive and restarted FSX." The FSX.CFG or fsx.cfg file is NOT in your FSX directory and if it is it should be deleted for sure.

Using Win7, the file is in [your drive - usually C] - so C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX - you will have to type in your username, without the square brackets [  ]. Let's assume your username on your computer is Martin. Therefore the path that you will need to find the FSX.CFG file would be - C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX. Sorry, I can't comment on Other, Win8, Win8.1, or Win10 because I don't use them.

This is a (normally) hidden file under Microsoft operating systems, as we (the great unwashed) are not considered competent by Microsoft to mess around in these files.