Windows 10? fsx crashing with windows 8.1

Hey all fellow flight simmers, first i would like to thank those who tried to help me with my FSX volume issue:

Turns out the drivers needed to be updated. (Up I am a dumb ass)

I run a i5-4960

GTX 960

8 RAM

1TB etc...

With FSX STEAM EDITION, Airbus x, REX 4 TD, Ezdok 1.18 ( beta ), and several airport and other little addons.

Now recently ( after I uptaded my drivers ) and before that had some issues with FSX, controller disconnecting or crashing here and their.. But now I will be setting up the airbus for a flight, and it will crash... Now I realize that FSX and windows 8.1 are not a great match there are many errors with FSX in windows 8.1. But when I first got FSX in July, I never had an error with it crashing when flying default airplanes. ( do all the addons effect FSX more the likely to crash ? ). Now I looked through my task manager and saw that FSX crashed because of ezdok... Is that ezdok just crashing or could the beta ( 1.18) be effecting my system ?

Or do I go to Windows 10? If I update to windows 10 am I guaranteed fsx to work with out crashing and or issues and will I need to re-install FSX and all the addons again?

Many thanks as I have so many questions 

Gavin

Hi Gavin,
be prepared for some tough love,

you’re obviously not the most tech oriented individual; nothing wrong with that in and of itself,
to top it off; you’ve unintentionally coupled this with a platform that is known to have issues,
you don’t get many response’s simply because not many ventured the SE route you selected,

if you’re expecting to be able to use the latest and greatest technology available today;
anyone who knows anything about Simulation platform knows P3D is the only way to go!

do yourself favor; move up to P3D v3 please,

Hi Gavin,

I recently took Microsoft up on their offer to upgrade to Windows 10 and as far as flight simming goes it was a nightmare. Steam, FSX, Plan G and all my Saitek controls did not work/respond/operate 100% so I uninstalled everything and re-installed from scratch.

After the re-installation of Steam, FSX, Plan G and the Saitek drivers I was still experiencing problems and no matter how hard I tried things were never the same. Eventually I got rid of Windows 10 and installed a clean version of Windows 7 back on my PC.

There are people on here and other forums that seem to run Windows 10 and FSX without the hassle I had but equally there are plenty of people out there suffering and returning to Windows 7.

If you decide to go for it I would suggest you either be prepared for a lot of grief or you could be one of the lucky ones.

Mike

Hi Gavin,

be prepared for some tough love,

you’re obviously not the most tech oriented individual; nothing wrong with that in and of itself,

to top it off; you’ve unintentionally coupled this with a platform that is known to have issues,

you don’t get many response’s simply because not many ventured the SE route you selected,

if you’re expecting to be able to use the latest and greatest technology available today;

anyone who knows anything about Simulation platform knows P3D is the only way to go!

do yourself favor; move up to P3D v3 please,

Hi Chris,

Being a "newbie" to all this FSX is all I know. Do you have a spare minute to explain the pros and cons of P3D against FSX?

Mike 

I think the best way is to try it, they do a version you can try and if not happy I think they refund you, I currently only have P3D installed, I dont miss FSX at all. However there are 1 or 2 aircraft I have that are not P3D compatible and I do miss flying them. I have REX, Soft Cluds, ASN, Airbus etc, never got around to fully setting up EZDOK though, anyhow they all work fine with my P3Dv3 setup on a self built Win 8.1 machine...

• Like 1

Further to Wain's comment, and to put it in easiest way to understand.

Break FSX licence into two parts Professional and entertainment,

>  P3D is being further and continually developed by Lockheed Martin to make it as good as they can make it, they now have the professional licence.

> FSX : SE is the entertainment part of the licence and gets no real further help though it has had some tweaks though when Dovetail games took this on they did some tweaking and jerking with it to make it run a bit better through Steam.

It rather depends what you want from the Simulator,  bear in  mind though, FSX:SE was cheap to buy but ad ons are still going to cost you a similar amount with a few such as PMDG study Aircraft costing a bit more for the P3D version, final note imho P3D once setup properly does run so much better and does look better by a mile. amazing difference.

I think I got the details right and hopefully easy to understand :)

:D Tony

• Like 1

To add to Tony’s words,
FSX is the child of Microsoft Ace development team which was pulled out almost 10 years ago;
FSX is the mother of both P3D and FSX-SE; later the years both companies Lockheed Martin and Dovtail purchased the source code from Microsoft;
They each are different from each other and cater to a different market sectors with complete different priority’s in mind;

The LM team is an actual dedicated team that actively develop the platform; they have a live forums and beta team they work closely with,
They welcome and encourage feedback as well as feature requests; and they do add these on to their releases,

Both companies has their cloud of secrecy around them due to obvious reasoning;
yet LM is on a level of its own when it comes to developing the sim platform;

obviously their native to this everything in it is a second nature to their business;
it is the perfect fit; they have maintained and enhanced the standards the community is used to; and then some,

while dovetail is focused on enthusiast gamers market; LM is focused on the professional grade market,
which is where we all want to be with our platforms; we don’t use the term play; we simulate!
And as such we want the simulation platform to be as accurate and true to real world; as this is the experience we are all after,
With dovetail SE people play; they are less concerned if the aircraft dynamic are as real as they can get;
Their focus is on the uneducated gamer who can enjoy a flight experience without the technicalities,

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the latest gadgets unless they been thoroughly tested by someone else
(not saying 10 is a bad platform; but stay away from it from the purpose of simming (for now ate least))

• Like 1

they all crash!
when FSX crashes you have no one but the addon dev to try and help you

when FSXSE crashes you can email Dovtail support center;

wait and hope for the best, SE doesn’t have a dedicated support just for that product;
from a developer prospective; it is also difficult to interact with them; they publish no SDK or are dev friendly;
they generally do as the please and do not follow or conform to industry standards many times; they will release an update with no considerations to addons or registry paths,
(it’s an indication of inexperienced software engineers changing their minds; after not making the right decisions initially for lack of industry experience imo)
Only recently they started to get their act together; but it’s still early to indicate stability in the long run,

when P3D crashes, you have the addon Dev to speak to, you have the Platform Development team to speak to,
normally if P3D crashes; you’ll just sit and watch others already reporting it long before you come to it,
with P3D you’re not alone; and everyone knows the address to go to if there is an issue,

• Like 1

In my experiance with P3D crashes have been very rare...a long time ago when we had a flightplan issue it would crash constantly but that was sorted ages ago... usually you only get issues when something is changed either by an addon or something you may change on your PC..I have all 3 sims like a lot of others but currently only P3D is on my PC and it runs quite steady and reliably... check out LM forum and see what you think.. some people will get issues with any sim as they cant stop tweaking...get it looking as you like it and leave it...only my opinion though..less tweaking more flying...

• Like 1

Thanks all, So what if for now I stick with FSX SE and get FSUIPC for the controller disconnection issue and see how things go before making the switch to P3D V3.

Is  that a good idea or do you guys think otherwise.

Gavin

Do whatever is best for you, many folks have SE working just fine. Search for tweaks to get SE and Win8 working together nicely. Try and make what you have work for now and if that doesn't cut it try something else. FUSIPC is a great product and will work with other FSX based programs down the road if SE doesn't work out. :)

I had FSXSE working fine with windows 8.1, no issues , but whichever route you go down you may get crashes etc thats the beast that is a PC... so many variables with so mnay different parts, whatever you do just make sure you enjoy it....

• Like 1