USB woes

I am trying to wire up a new pc.

USB is driving me nuts.

USB 2.0 devices wont work in USB 3.0 or 3.1 sockets - I thought these were backwardly compatible

Long (2Mtr) USB extensions don't work but shorter ones do. 

Keyboard USB switches, to share a keyboard between two PCs, cause keyboards to 'disappear' when switched out and not re-appear when switched back.

Has anyone else had this type of issue?  Is there a do's and dont's with USB sockets anywhere?

Any advice would be nice.  :)

JG

Out of date drivers maybe?

Try this free tool JG http://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php and this http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

It has a driver version check and can get the latest drivers for USB and other devices. 

There is a Pro version but I found the free version worked very well.

:hat:

Hey JG, I use a program called InputDirector to connect my two pc's. I run it on both machines,. Set up as Master and Client. Once this is running I can use both keyboard and mouse on both pc's. Once it is set up correctly that is, which is pretty straightforward.

http://www.inputdirector.com/

Hey JG, I use a program called InputDirector to connect my two pc's. I run it on both machines,. Set up as Master and Client. Once this is running I can use both keyboard and mouse on both pc's. Once it is set up correctly that is, which is pretty straightforward.

http://www.inputdirector.com/

Looks interesting Brian.  do you run this on your FS PC?

If so, is there an impact on FSX performance?

Do you have the FSX PC set up as the Master PC?

Edit: I have installed this on my main work PC and on a server that I have and it works very well.

Brian - if it works well with FSX then I will be a happy bunny. The above questions still stand though! 

John, I do have it installed on my fsx PC which happens to be my Master PC.

With my hardware upgrade at Xmas, I have fsx locked at 31 fps which is half my monitors refresh rate +1 and I now hardly ever drop below 30fps.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers

Brian

Hi John!

USB3 is the only issue I had with my "new" (getting on for a year old, now) PC. It has a plethora of external USB3 sockets. Unfortunately, none of them will run at USB3 speeds when I connect an external hard drive — in fact they run at slightly *below* USB2 speed!

All that the vendor (Scan) could suggest was returning the machine for them to check, which seems ridiculous when the problem has every appearance of being a driver issue, and there are no other faults. So in the months following its arrival I spent about five days fiddling with various combinations of drivers, all to no avail. I even, albeit with some trepidation, resorted to a couple of those apps which claim to fix your drivers for you (they didn't, so I restored the disk to its previous state from a backup).

I have solved the problem, though: I shoved in an additional internal HD and now do my backups to that.     :D

Regarding the points you made:

For me, USB2 devices *do* work in the sockets, at USB2 speeds obviously.

(Haven't tried a short USB extension, but the long ones are fine as you say; and I don't use keyboard switches so can't compare).

Good luck, my friend: USB3 appears to be something of a minefield....

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Thanks all for your input.  I still cant get USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 ports to work with USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 devices, annoying but the installation of a USB 2.0 card with 4 ports has solver one aspect of the problem by providing extra 2.0 sockets.

As for the cable length, well that's just weird.  I have a couple of 3 metre USB extension cables neither of which work.  they are the same make so that may be an issue, my 1 metre cables work just fine. Strangely, when plugging in a 3 metre cable to my joystick, the LEDs light up and then go off after a second or may be less.

I have two servers in my setup both using a shared mouse and keyboard.  I now have more desktop space as Input Director is now running the servers as slaves and my main work PC as the master.  I am going to the same to my two FSX PCs, but as as separate group. This wont save any USB ports on my main FSX PC but will save keyboard and mouse space.

I think the long term solution is to get a 7 port USB 2.0 internal card for the PC. 

Regarding your extension cables — I seem to recall (it was over six months ago that I was messing with this issue) that I had a buy a specifically USB3 extension cable. Something about the cable's specification?

Just in case it helps....     :cool:

Cheers,

B.

you need a powered usb hub with Active (Repeater) Extension, not a plain USB splitter with standart USB cable!
also note that USB cable exceeds about 10ft (3m) the USB 3.0 hub will revert to USB 2.0 speeds.
It has  to do with the current USB3.0 chipsets used that doesn't allow a longer cord to be used.
If you take notice just about every USB 3.0 hub is sold with a 10ft (3m) length cable for this very reason.

Active (Repeater) Extension Cable:
USB active extension cables contain electronics that regenerate the USB signal. Active cables are essentially 1 port USB hubs. You can use a regular USB cable in conjunction with an active cable as long as the regular cable is not more than 5 meters (16 feet and 5 inches) long for 2.0 devices and not more than 3 meters (9 feet and 10 inches) long for 3.0 devices.

Note: Typically, active cables are bus-powered cables. To ensure you receive the full 500mA power of a USB port,

consider purchasing an active cable that includes a separate power adapter. 

more reading
http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

Hi Chris!

Just to clarify:

> "...just about every USB 3.0 hub is sold with a 10" length cable..."

Er, 10" is read in this country as ten inches. Surely you mean ten feet (10')?    :cool:

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

[Later edit — quote from the reference you gave:

"The 3.0/3.1 specification does not specify a maximum cable length between USB 3.0/3.1 devices (SuperSpeed or SuperSpeed+), but there is a recommended length of 3 meters (or about 9 feet and 10 inches). However, the biggest limitation to the length of the cable is the quality of the cable".  ]

• Like 1

Chris, that's very helpful.  I had never come across the concept of active USB cables before. One to remember for sure. How can you tell if an cable is active? (Besides looking at the box - which has been chucked a long time ago!)

Bruce, I think Chris means ten inches.  I have never come across a USB hub with a useful cable length. Quality of the cable may be an issue.  I don't recall paying much for my 5 metre extension cables, and definitely not buying active ones.

• Like 1

sorry about that guys; i meant 10ft (3m); fixed original post :)

as for identifing active vs standart cable; have a look below

usually the end is a female male instead of male male,

the cable type should also spesify active! (usually comes with an independent power supply)

usb-3-extension-cable-active-repeater.jp

@ Brian.

I have input director setup for my FS PCs. However Input Director wont let me access the slave PC until I have logged in to that PC.  This defeats the purpose of the software as I have to have a keyboard and mouse plugged in to log in before I can pass control to the server PC.

Am I missing something?

J.

you can setup auto login on that pc,

Run > control userpasswords2

Controluserpasswords2.gif

highlight the user you want to auto login and uncheck the checkbox that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

Controluserpasswords2a.gif

Click the Advanced tab and uncheck "Require users to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete"

Useraccounts.gif

Click OK

When the dialogue box pops up, type in your username and password (if you do not have a password, leave it blank)

Autologon.gif

Glad i could help :hat:

to ensure Windows never Launch Startup Repair during boot time on the remote PC
(in case of power failure or unexpected shutdown or ctd)
you can also run this In cmd, type the following

bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No
bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures