Some Suggestions on How to Approach the MEBAR

All,

The first question on anyone's mind is, "What aircraft am I going to fly?". This provides the perfect point on which to provide some advice.

Key Points About the Route. Here are a few points associated with the design of the route:

• Route Length. Whilst I try to keep individual Flight Legs about the same length, they will vary. The only real factor here is a personal one of having the time to fly the Flight Legs in your chosen aircraft. It may be an influencing factor.
  • Route Altitude. Some of the Flight Legs through the mountains will require high cruise altitudes. This should be a consideration in aircraft choice in terms of aircraft capability for the climbs to altitude, particularly after a touch and go in the valleys.
  • Weather. This year, weather is probably the single biggest factor, as winds on some Flight Legs are very strong, particularly at altitude, and will be a significant consideration in aircraft choice and how you fly the Test Flight. To inject additional realism into the event, the weather for this year's MEBAR is based on real world weather for the route, using historical data from the respective areas and corresponding dates from the previous year. This data was extracted using a quality weather engine and input into the flight situation files for the respective Flight Legs. In some cases, due to the location of weather stations at departure airports, the weather conditions are an extrapolation from the surrounding area. The weather conditions have been provided in a tabulated METAR type format, and in some detail, in the MEBAR Weather Briefing (Detailed) document. This document is a MUST READ.

Test Flight. A common mistake when flying the Test Flight is to fly it at close to the maximum cruise performance for the chosen aircraft - WRONG! This leaves very little to no room in aircraft performance to compensate for the weather conditions on the Flight Legs - it could be a bit difficult when you are pushing against a 30 kt quartering crosswind at altitude to get through the mountains. Then, you may also have to counter a strong tailwind, such is the balance of flying in a rally event. Flying the Test Flight at MTOW for the chosen aircraft and at a reduced cruise speed, will allow much needed flexibility when you are flying the flight legs. Take your time and experiment before submitting your Test Flight time.

Hopefully, the above points will not only assist you in your choice of aircraft for the MEBAR, but also assist you in your flight planning for the Flight Legs.

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 2

Great tips Andrew and the advice on the test flight would have served me well on my first rally as I failed miserably while watching my ground speed slowly slip away. :huh:

• 1 year later...

Hi Corben and welcome to Mutley's Hangar.:hat:

Thanks you for your comments and don't feel bad as the rally does take some time to get down pat, at least that was how it was for me. Fly well and fly true, good luck.:) 

14 hours ago, Corben said:

oops, should have read this *before* submitting my test flight... never mind, this is my first MEBAR, better luck next time! Nevertheless: thank you all for the event!

Corben, I would be happy to change your test flight time if you use the contact form in the MEBAR to contact me. :)

OR , could fly rallies like I do , submit test flight time , Then FORGET every thing , spill Coffee on flight plan and in the chart case,and IF you find the airport and land within 10 minutes , I'm a happy camper.... My wife wonders why I never win these things.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, dave evans said:

OR , could fly rallies like I do , submit test flight time , Then FORGET every thing , spill Coffee on flight plan and in the chart case,and IF you find the airport and land within 10 minutes , I'm a happy camper.... My wife wonders why I never win these things.

Life is good Dave, and it's a holiday weekend too! :yahoo:

3 hours ago, dave evans said:

The funny part about the rally is your a winner for just flying it, we never announce a "Winner" per say, it's more like the game of Golf, your flying against yourself.:D

• Like 2
16 hours ago, dave evans said:

This is exactly the approach I planned to take! But then it's a challenge again and I'm now flying the legs with my little fierce comanche to it's limits just to keep up to the insane cruise speed of the test flight. So after all, I have complicated everything and just added to the difficulty of the event - which is more than okay for me. I'm planning the second leg since yesterday and I am really excited how it all comes out when i climb into the plane... So again, thank you all - I'm really having much fun so far!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, dave evans said:

My approach too Dave. I plan meticulously but do not look at the time as much as I should, as things don't go as planned anyway on these challenges. So I fly them at the engine settings I used on the test flight and see from there.  Looking at some of these fields I'm happy to even survive or not damage my bird. And nothing spells "fun" more than screaming through canyons just below the clouds at 200+ kts, twisting and turning and stopping quickly to get i T&G on some crazy placed strip.

Having fun in this!

Edited by Tobus[NL]
1 hour ago, Tobus[NL] said:

My approach too Dave. I plan meticulously but do not look at the time as much as I should, as things don't go as planned anyway on these challenges. So I fly them at the engine settings I used on the test flight and see from there.  Looking at some of these fields I'm happy to even survive or not damage my bird. And nothing spells "fun" more than screaming through canyons just below the clouds at 200+ kts, twisting and turning and stopping quickly to get i T&G on some crazy placed strip.

Having fun in this!

Think about it, Too stay VFR you have to fly at a level where a LAMA could look you in the eye , then the only flat piece of terra firma  they can put an airfield is inside a VOLCANO, MUTLEY and the crew have a strange type of humor ,   and I  LOVE IT !    I should have flown my super cub but the range was to borderline.

Edited by dave evans
  • Like 1

"Say...What's a mountain goat doing way up here in a cloud bank?" -- Gary Larson

I'd post the picture, but afraid I'd break a copyright or forum (or both) rule.

59 minutes ago, dave evans said:

Think about it, Too stay VFR you have to fly at a level where a LAMA could look you in the eye , then the only flat piece of terra firma  they can put an airfield is inside a VOLCANO, MUTLEY and the crew have a strange type of humor ,   and I  LOVE IT !    I should have flown my super cub but the range was to borderline.

Found out last night, I had better be real careful with my fuel burn.  Landed with 3.4 gallons in the left tank and 3.8 gallons in the right.

• Like 1

I'm glad Leg-2 was a Blind Time leg actually, Didn't need the timer's pressure with way way too much to do staying out of clouds and off of mountains trying to stay VFR in a plane that was threatening to freeze up at anything over 10,500 even with cowl flaps fully shut...there was no getting over those soft fluffy icecubes in my t210 in those freezing temp, and I barely made it over the Volcano wp.
I await word of my pathetic efficiency rating for this leg...ended up going pretty much Balls to Wall (just under the red range marks) towards the end to compensate for all the hundreds of Dog Legs around clouds.

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 1