Norway F-16s Shoot Up Control Tower

Norway F-16s Shoot Up Control Tower

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/25/europe/norway-fighter-jets-fire-on-control-tower/

Hmm - this is a whole new angle on the old saw about when a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; when an air traffic controller screws up, the pilot dies.

Fortunately, nobody died or was hurt this time.  No mention about casualties to underwear, which may have been significant.

John

• Like 1

Firing on a control tower is a very strange thing to do and grossly negligent.  Outside of the range target area all weapons systems should have been made safe. Also making an unauthorised attacking run on a control tower with weapon systems that the pilot may have thought safe is still a bad enough breach of discipline.  Clearly the pilot of this F16 didn't check his weapon systems and made an attacking run on an unauthorised target, so I think he can kiss goodbye to the Norwegian Air Force at the very least.

I'm pretty sure there must be more to the story than we're hearing, since the article says it happened once before.  I get the idea this is not a classic airfield control tower but a tower at the range location; I believe they said they were "controlling targets".  Maybe hard to see and in too close proximity to the hot zone, maybe poor procedures, maybe cowboy pilots - who knows.  I doubt we'll ever find out.  Happy nobody was hurt.

John

I'm with JohnA on this, and the phrase "not unprecedented" also rings true with certain recollections of mine with <*cough*> another Air Force.   :cool:   As I have reason to know from personal experience, these things happen (boys and their toys etc.).    ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarva_(Norway)

Note that the RNAF has a firing range in the vicinity....   :th_blush:

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I would normally associate a control tower with an airfield but I guess a tower location to control the activities on a range night seem like a good idea.  So I guess it could be within the live firing window of a fast jet, especially as the weapons armed time no matter how short might well carry a fast aircraft over the end of a range before they are made safe.

It is still poor discipline I think, but it could be that an attacking run was made from a wrong angle or the weapons discharge was late.   We will never know.

Who knows, may be a dropped phone, watching repeats of Dallas on the HUD or even lighting a cigarette.  A moments lapse in concentration and you have the Norwegian Air Force's equivalent of a pileup on the M25.