No Big Jobs for my Big Airplane

Any comments?

CYVRJobs.jpg

I went out and spent a bunch of $ (had to take out a loan too) on a major big time hauler. A 747. That meant I had to get a new base, CYVR, because my existing bases CYCD and CYYJ don't have long enough runways to handle the big fella.

Now I'm a bit teed off because AH1 is not generating jobs for the aircraft. Those it is generating sometimes hit the capacity numbers but the airports are not big enough to land on. Not much point in taking a job to an airport with a 2000M runway (what's with this Metre stuff, anyway?) when the aircraft needs 2500M minimum.

It's been a few days now and I'm still not getting anything significant. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to make my fleet inoperative to force AH into providing jobs for the big airplane.

See the screenshot: all sliders to the right and the list of airports capable of handling the 747 is pretty slim.

It's not easy being a hauler.:P I think I remember John saying once that it takes awhile to clear the existing list of jobs and start building larger hauls.

That's why I fly a fleet of Beavers, my house isn't as big but life is good.^_^ Hopefully your jobs list will start to repopulate once those jobs expire, keep an eye on the dates.:) 

It can take up to 72 hours for the jobs screen to flush itself and re-generate with appropriate jobs after a new purchase.  Not sure how long you've had it.  What other aircraft are in your fleet?

Note to any non-AirHaulics - this is AH1 stuff, not AH2.

John

Thanks for the info John. Only been ~24 hours, so I'll standby.

That's a big fleet - C130, 737, A321, are the real earners. C208, DC3, C46 are the mid range haulers. DHC2, both wet and dry, along with a C182 and a Goose take care of the closer, lighter loads.

The 747 is going to be my real long-haul bird (if I can just get a job or two for it).

John may be correct...probably just a time out for the new aircraft.

However I have had various experiences importing new aircraft...some just never seem to generate many jobs.

When I get impatient I'll have AI carry anything it can...even small jobs, and/or position the aircraft to somewhere nearby (a big place nearby in your case) and hope that jobs will spawn from there headed back to base...happens occasionally. Get it flying, remind the game it exists, and hopefully pump some AH bytes around it's system. :)

Good luck.

Ok - starting to see jobs to bigger airports. Some real long haul stuff as well. Don't know if I'm up for an all day AH session, just yet but looks like I'll be visiting Africa, S.America and Europe on a regular basis.

I'm cringing at the thought of a CTD after a 12 hour ocean crossing.

If you don't already have it, register your FSUIPC ($15, I think) and turn on the autosave option.  It won't help with a Windows crash but if it's just FSX and AH1 is still running you can reload the latest save and it will reconnect.  

The current word is that this method does not yet work in AH2.  AH2 does not use FSUIPC, relying completely on SimConnect instead, but even so, if FSX can be brought back with autosave, there might still be a way for Slopey to make AH2 recognize that and reconnect.  It doesn't work yet, but I expect at some point that will make it on to his priority list and will work.

John

Duncan has said that there will eventually be a Save and Exit option in AH2 similar to AH1. A terrific feature I am looking forward to again.

When I fly into KSFO in heavy weather my VAS drops like a stone...and I usually have to save and exit on approach when flying in AH1...in AH2 I haven't dared fly into KSFO with ASN turned on even...don't wish to lose Pax rep arriving late after restarting/reflying/...yeah...just won't work right now with weather on.

Once that is implemented we should be able to monitor our VAS and save before a CTD...I hope...

I concur, John -EDIT and Matt - : It's saved my AH bacon a few times. 

It should be considered a priority in AH2 (IMHO), simply because it takes a lot of the frustration out of the <game>. It doesn't happen often that FSX crashes during a flight, but it does happen. I've followed your advice for several years with respect to FSUIPC. I've never had a CTD that terminates the whole shootin' match - fingers crossed to ward of hex.

I use FSUIPC for much more, though. Especially in the area of control configuration. I love the way FSUIPC keeps a copy of my joystick (include trim wheel and throttle quadrant) settings for specific aircraft. Load the aircraft and your control set-up automatically fits. Real handy for things like water rudder vs tailwheel lock, single vs twin engine, etc.

Edited by Quickmarch

AH2 is still in Early Access mode, which is kind of like a public beta test period.  He's busy stamping out brushfires now but that will certainly be implemented at some point before it goes full-price.  You're right - it's a must, but just isn't at the top of the priority list yet.  Pax operations and scheduling of same are the current big issue, and some folks using non-EN-US windows formats are having problems too.  

There's an old saying that I'm sure you encountered in your career... "When you're up to your ass in alligators it's hard to focus on the fact that the original objective was to drain the swamp."  I think they may have been looking in Slopey's window when they came up with that one.

John

• Like 1

I am worried about how a Save feature will work with a Pax flight schedule...we are on a "Must arrive by" system in AH2 while carrying passengers, and if it transpires that we have to take 5 minutes to restart our systems to restore VAS, it might hurt our Pax Rep by arriving us late for a pax trip. Not a concern with Cargo Ops ofc.

Wonder if he can set it up to Ignore System Time once a flight has started, and focus instead on Elapsed Time for that flight until it lands and completes?

Edited by Captain Coffee

You make a good point but I'm not sure what he has in mind for that.  It's a different kettle of fish from AH1.  It should not affect pax routes, but ad-hocs will require some thought over how to best implement it.

John

When a flight is saved isn't the time saved too?:huh:

@March- You should reset your Job Distance to a comfortable distance so the job list will populate a better and larger selection of flights more in keeping with your usual sim time in the cockpit.:)

4 minutes ago, brett said:

When a flight is saved isn't the time saved too?:huh:

@March- You should reset your Job Distance to a comfortable distance so the job list will populate a better and larger selection of flights more in keeping with your usual sim time in the cockpit.:)

Agreed, now that jobs are beginning to populate for your heavy...scale those bars back to something more comfortable.

Happy to see that at least it is being recognized in your fleet at least :).

Regarding Saving Time @Brett. I'm sure that FS will save the time, but AH2 seems to keep trudging on with the system time during a Pax flight regardless if the Sim is paused...I can hear the Steward's announcements going on while I am paused and "Outside" arranging my loading stations, when I un-pause back into the game the Pax schedule time has progressed along with the system time ignoring that the Sim was paused...it will as John says, take some figuring out how to implement it.

There's PC clock time and sim time.  I think the saves will save and restore sim time but not sure how Slopey will choose to assess on-time performance in that case.  For cargo jobs with an expiration, the job performance is based on PC time, not sim time, so a pause or a save doesn't stop the clock from ticking down to job expiration.  I'm sure he'll figure out a way to do it with the least disruption to the flow of the game.

John

3 hours ago, allardjd said:

There's an old saying that I'm sure you encountered in your career... "When you're up to your ass in alligators it's hard to focus on the fact that the original objective was to drain the swamp."  I think they may have been looking in Slopey's window when they came up with that one.

John

One of my all-time favourites.

Also - 

Keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your eye on the ball, and your ear to the ground, then see how much work you get done in that position!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, brett said:

Agreed, @Brett, however, I'm out on the boat and can't actually fly anything, so the AI's are getting a serious workout. I'm sending one to Africa this afternoon.

Raining on and off in Chemainus BC. Came back down here to refuel the boat only to find out my favourite (read super-cheap) fuel source has decided to take the whole weekend off. Good internet connection, tho, so I'll be happy. SWMBO, on the other hand, is already making "shopping" noises.

• Like 2