Leg 7.1 VIAG-VNLK Agra to Lukla

"Sorry I'm late Lt. Flores", as I slipped into the left hand seat of our C-27J Spartan, "that was not quite the meeting I had in mind". I'd received a briefing package, with the new Giza Card, 24 hours earlier and had just finished filling out all the needed forms after Brian's "Petty Cash" expenses. This ended up putting us a little behind schedule and the weather had changed from the bright sunny morning into a "wonderful" drizzle.

2017-9-1_17-14-8-130-XL.png

I don't think the Lieutenant was happy she'd been pulled in from her RnR to fly up to Lukla just to ferry some "dumb plastic pole".

"Well at least you're not flying on to Paro, you gotta fly this bird back here. We're picking up some SAS guys and another Spartan pilot who just finished some survival training at Lukla and he'll be your right seat. I've got to take their Helo on to Paro"

"Can we just get started through pre-flight already?"

It was going to be on heck of a flight!

2017-9-1_17-17-28-658-XL.png

"Engine one started. Love those C-17's. Man I'd love to fly one of those crates".

2017-9-1_22-3-39-144-XL.png

Saw a few more "Big Birds", this time some IL-72's as we taxied out to Rwy 23 for a Eastern departure.

2017-9-1_22-15-6-195-XL.png

"Hope Brian got some shots of that Taj Mahal, cause with this cloud cover, we're not going to see much at all Flores."

2017-9-1_22-18-34-878-XL.png

I don't think she cares...

2017-9-1_22-19-1-320-XL.png

We continued on and for the next hour this is all we saw.

2017-8-6_12-18-45-42-XL.png

"Wowsers, even Kathmandu is fogged in."

"Are we there yet?"

"Don't make me turn this crate around Flores!"

2017-8-6_12-24-36-338-XL.png

Some pretty amazing valley's here with the rivers cutting deep into the rock. Not that we could see much of them.

2017-9-1_22-53-28-13-XL.png

Nope, nothing much to see here at all... I hope it clears up closer to Lukla or we'll have to find an alternate and try again tomorrow.

2017-9-1_22-59-33-767-XL.png

Thankfully there was a break in the clouds right close to Lukla as we were on finals.

2017-9-1_22-59-50-274-XL.png

And we'd just come through that.

2017-9-1_23-2-39-729-XL.png

"You are rated to land here aren't you sir?"

"Flores, there's nothing to worry about. I've landed here hundreds of times....... In the Simulator"

2017-9-1_23-4-44-192-XL.png

A slightly late touchdown, but the brakes and reversers on the Spartan we well known for these sorts of very short landing strips.

2017-9-1_23-17-14-437-XL.png

"C'mon Flores, lets tuck this girl into bed and I'll buy you a mug of fermented goats milk." She never did like my jokes...

2017-9-1_23-18-37-154-XL.png

There we go, all parked and dark. And what a sight eh?

15-Minute-Parking-Sign-R-69C-Th.gif

"Geez they're a bit tough on the parking here aren't they? Who'd want to park their car here? Didn't even see any... You coming Flores?"

Sim Details:

• P3D v4
  • OzWookiee Agra AFB & AeroSoft Lukla X sceneries
  • Photoscenery created with FSEarthTiles
  • 3D Mesh created with ALOS 30M DSM data and P3D SDK

Edited by OzWookiee
Added details
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, OzWookiee said:

"Flores, there's nothing to worry about. I've landed here hundreds of times....... In the Simulator"

Yey!  Way to go Beejay :D

Superb PIREP presented like a veteran!

Iam so looking forward to pt2.

Cheers,

joe

• Like 1

Nicely done PIREP Beejay,:thum:  a shame it was to overcast to enjoy all that beautiful scenery. By the way, Joe has a lot of connections in the military so you might want to school Lt. Flores about the "dumb plastic pole" and it's true meaning unless she is a fan of Iceland.;):D

• Like 1

Great PIREP BeeJay. It takes "mettle" to land any large bird, STOL or not, at Lukla. Great challenge well executed, as said, too bad the weather obscured your view, but in that kind of outback during this ATWC, perhaps we should be grateful that it was also more difficult for Putin-esque types to spot  you and the baton in those remote mountains.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I really love the Spartan and since we don't have one in X-plane it's pretty much the only reason I use P3D.

Hmm, actually that's not entirely true, there is a freeware C-27J but the interior is pretty bad (they used as much texture area for the eye as they did for the face, and the overhead panel uses less than those combined and is unreadable) and the systems modelling is also pretty low BUT the flight model is excellent. Since I fly mostly in cockpit though I just can't fly her. 

@rosariomanzo you should be very proud of the Spartan, being an Italian designed and manufactured bird =) Based on the G.222 with an updated avionics package (think they updated the engines too) she was designed as a battlefield airlifter and so was required to be able to take off and land on any kind of strip available and as quickly as possible too.

I must get back to my *little* project of converting her to X-Plane =) 

• Like 1