Probably won't hold a candle to a big Florida blow, but we're bracing for Ophelia to hit these shores Monday afternoon. Wouldn't you know it! Predicted to be the worst ever in Ireland and the first since 1961 (or thereabouts).

Taking JA's advice and hunkering down in a concrete hotel out by EIDW (DUB). 

Cheers,

March

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MartinW said:

Not to mention a nice orange sun. Courtesy of dust blown in from the Sahara.

That's my best guess anyway.

You're correct Martin, it is dust from the Sahara and some from forest fires on the Iberian peninsular. There's an orange/yellow tint to the sky along with the red sun. It's a bit like being on Mars.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, hifly said:

You're correct Martin, it is dust from the Sahara and some from forest fires on the Iberian peninsular. There's an orange/yellow tint to the sky along with the red sun. It's a bit like being on Mars.

I can relate to that last bit.

It has been rather Martian colored around here mornings and evenings with the entire area north of us on fire. #SonomaNapaWildfires

This is how my marina might look on Mars, after a weeeee bit of terraforming/wetting. :)

mars-marina.jpg

Note that unlike the set of Calistoga Burning screenshots which I heavily colorized in Photoshop...these images are untouched, and inspired the skies in that CB set.

Edited by Captain Coffee

Things have been kinda orange outside the Hangar today, the sun has been very subdued and dark orange. It's not uncommon to having Sahara dust settle on the car, but it's looking like a bucket and spade may be required today. Not seen it this severe, ever. :huh:

47 minutes ago, Captain Coffee said:

I can relate to that last bit.

It has been rather Martian colored around here mornings and evenings with the entire area north of us on fire. #SonomaNapaWildfires

I recall rounding the point at Concepcion in late 2007. As the sun came up it was blood red and huge. The water looked like it was covered in oil. This turned out to be ash. We spent two weeks in Santa Barbara at the marina and it was horrible to see the damage done to the boats by the ash. As I recall, the Santa Anna Winds (correct me if I've got the local name wrong - it's been a while) are onshore during the daytime, generated by the warm desert areas inland sucking the cold(er) air from the ocean. This was feeding the fires. At night, the wind direction reverses as the desert cools, this pulls the smoke and ash out to sea.

Meanwhile, "Back at the Hotel" , winds have dropped here in Belfast. It was not, visibly a big event here - we have not left the hotel. The Irish Coasts have taken a beating with winds up to 80 MPH . Last I heard there were three deaths, all attributed to trees toppling and 350,000 homes without power. The storm is working its way up the West Coast as I write this.

My sincere best wishes to the People of Ireland that this is over soon.

March

1 hour ago, dodgy-alan said:

Batten down and keep the dry side up. Bring her head into the weather, drop anchor and possibly a stream anchor to stop her swinging too much.

Thanks Alan, Fortunately, we're not here with the boat. We used a 767 owned by Maple Flot to get here and we'll be at Gatwick on Wednesday morning for a short stay (weather permitting).

Cheers,

March

• Like 1