Last Air Berlin Flight Performs Un-Announced Fly-by

1 hour ago, mutley said:

...at least he didn't go for a barrel roll!

That would have  been more spectacular, for sure, but not sure the A330 computers would allow that, at least while in "Normal Law".

John

That article seems to be rather ambiguous. The title suggests that passengers were "screaming in terror", but the main text only mentions "screaming witnesses". The fact that the tower personnel clapped as the aircraft passed by seems to indicate that they knew all about it. I would be surprised if the captain did not inform the passengers prior to the fly past taking place.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, allardjd said:

That would have  been more spectacular, for sure, but not sure the A330 computers would allow that, at least while in "Normal Law".

John

Turns the FACs off you can pretty much do what you want with her! :D

• Like 1
On 10/18/2017 at 13:11, Christopher Low said:

That article seems to be rather ambiguous. The title suggests that passengers were "screaming in terror", but the main text only mentions "screaming witnesses". The fact that the tower personnel clapped as the aircraft passed by seems to indicate that they knew all about it. I would be surprised if the captain did not inform the passengers prior to the fly past taking place.

+1

In this day of terrorist/hijackings...no thinking captain would surprise the passengers like this and risk potential panic and/or heart attacks.

Er... that looked like a "terrifyingly dangerous" manoeuvre commonly known as a Left Turn, and nothing more spectacular than a low approach and go around!

The screaming in terror, so (cough) "accurately" reported by the Mirror (well known for their level-headed and accurate reporting - Not!) appears to have been one woman wondering, "what are they doing?". The tower video (and why would they have been filming if they didn't know what was happening? - because they almost certainly issued a clearance for the manoeuvre) clearly shows the aircraft tracking the runway centre line and turning left. NOT "turning on its side and flying worryingly close to the airport terminal".

Just another case of tabloid sensationalist misreporting, I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Tim_A said:

Just another case of tabloid sensationalist misreporting, I'm afraid.

I agree with all that.  The reporter and editor were probably both fired for not using the term "nose dive".

Media reporting is always suspect these days, usually with good cause.  Their motive with aviation is to make the ordinary seem somehow spectacular, irresponsible or dangerous.  Their motive with many other topics is simply to advance their "agenda".

John