Thanks for the link, JA.

One maxim that we all need to remember: There are three things that are of no use to a pilot. One of them is "runway behind you". Applies to both takeoffs and landings.

Any guesses on the other two?

I often find myself trying to rescue a bad approach in the flight sim. Bad idea! Maybe it's because the penalties are less severe than in the RW.

I confess part of my fun in the sim is trying to pull off hard/bad/crazy approaches, and I actually set up for them purposefully sometimes...go arounds are a very last option for me unless I am hauling pax in Airhauler...those whiners will down rate us for the slightest bumps/Gloads. However, I just make sure to plan well in advance for my approaches with Pax on board...no problems, cept for weather bumps.

I can remember one particular go-around during my real world flying - in a C-152 to a 6,000' X 150' paved runway in fair WX with a work party from the flying club watching and waiting for the exhaust manifold gasket I was ferrying in.  No excuse, just high and fast and not paying attention.  I still probably had enough runway ahead of me to land three times but went around anyway because it "didn't look right".  I didn't get any grief over that - well, not much anyway.  That one still stings.

John

• Like 1