space is low!

I have a 250gb SSD for my OS which normally has about 60gig free......however with the download of Netherlands True earth being so big I am struggling for space....I have watched a few YT vids on moving temp folders to another drive but they don't go into much detail, like what you change the name to etc......Ideally a larger SSD would work but that would mean I guess a complete reinstall.....any suggestions or has anyone got around the same issue....I have loads of storage elsewhere on my system.....I have at least bought the ORBX item in the sale so it's not really a pressing issue to get it sorted.....

Just an update... 

I moved the temp and tmp folders to my XP drive which has ample space.. All downloaded and installed... Nice... 

Todays problem was Windows closing down my WiFi card to save power.. Sorted that then the download was fine... 

What is it with PC's you get time to fly and they throw a tantrum.. :D

I have two 1tb External hard drives. I hived off a lot of rarely used aircraft into a folder on one of them and saved tons of space in the process. I also use them to store my photos and documents etc so the main PC is optimised. Always best top run a Defrag every few days and a temp file cleanup as well. then about once a week get your firewall to run a full scan to make sure nothing is slowing you down.

Hi Wayne,

It is always a balance of space and performance. There's no reason why you can't move P3D and XP onto another non SSD drive that your operating system doesn't use.

P3D, XPX and Aerofly FS2 are on other drives on my machine. All other files are stored on Microsoft OneDrive. As you get more and more scenery sometimes you have to reorganise your storage.

Good lick. :)

You are correct Joe.... I have OS on a 250gig ssd... XP on a HDD and P3d on another... Issue was when Orbx Netherlands was dloaded at 70 odd gig it needs double that to install.. Moving said folders sorted the issue... I have my system set to optimize and clean constantly so no problem there.... 

I also use one drive and an external drive for various backups... 

All good now..... 

Cheers... 

Edited by wain
More info

You could always try this trick, and 'move' your aircraft to free up space..

let me tell you a useful tip .. you have to install aircraft onto the same drive as FSX, but then you can move them where you want.

All you do is set up a separate folder on another drive (I use my 1TB) and then you 'move' the aircraft files from the Sim Objects folder then FSX remembers where you moved them. You need to make sure that you move the folder and not copy it or it doesn't work.

If you want t delete the aircraft you do the same thing in reverse.. move it back across to the Sim Objects folder. and then delete it or uninstall if its one with a separate uninstaller.

As the aircraft loads up when you start FSX (as far as I understand it), it doesn't matter if you store all the aircraft on slower drives.

If it doesn't help today, it may in the future.

Edited by hlminx
  • Like 2

Please explain the "Move" step further...do I 'grab' it and physically move the folder to another drive, or rt click/Send to (which has options to send it to my external drive, or a disc, but no way to specify a folder to send to). If so, how does FSX know where I dragged it to...do I need to Point FSX to the new folder somehow?

I am keenly interested in this trick as I have precious little space left on my FSX drive and moving up to 35 gigs of aircraft would be a YUGE space saver.

Cheers.

Coff. 

20 hours ago, hlminx said:

You need to make sure that you move the folder and not copy it or it doesn't work.

Would assume it is a CUT & PASTE command Matt.  Will try later.  Can always be put back if needed.

EDIT:-  on the other hand perhaps not....see here:-

http://www.dummies.com/software/for-seniors-how-to-move-a-computer-file-or-folder/

Edited by dogtrack

Definitely not a cut and paste.. has to be a 'move', right click.

I have done it in the past with several of my lesser used aircraft. I just set up a folder on a separate HD and called it something like 'Hangar' and moved to there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have my aircraft and scenery on a different drive from my P3D folder, and they are linked through a junction. The simobjects and scenery folders are there in P3D, but they are empty and linked to the same folders on another drive. I think I used a program called junction link magic for it, but am not completely sure.

When I install a plane or scenery, the installer thinks it is installing on C:, but in reality they end up on my D: 

• Thanks 1

Ah, it was the "Right Click/Move" I was missing. I have never done that before. Great tip and thanky kindly. :hat:

Update: just opened FSX after moving a few test aircraft to my external drive...no joy, they don't show up in the FSX aircraft selector. How do i repoint FSX to those aircraft? Do I have to do the Move while FSX is open or something like that??? Do I have to leave the Aircraft's main folder in the FSX Aircraft Folder, moving just the files  to a duplicate folder on the G drive?

Edited by Captain Coffee
On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:30, wain said:

What is it with PC's you get time to fly and they throw a tantrum.. :D

I have a narcissistic PC as well.  I spend ages getting it how I want it and then as soon as I start some serious flight time, It gets the hump and does something nasty to get my attention again. :fool:

PS.  I am posting this from another PC so as not to upset my FS PC.  I hope to get away with it but I suspect they talk to each other.:secret: 

• Haha 2
54 minutes ago, J G said:

I have a narcissistic PC as well.  I spend ages getting it how I want it and then as soon as I start some serious flight time, It gets the hump and does something nasty to get my attention again. :fool:

PS.  I am posting this from another PC so as not to upset my FS PC.  I hope to get away with it but I suspect they talk to each other.:secret: 

Nice one, I actually recently bought a new laptop just to use for work, so except for Office 365 my PC is just for loaded with installs for simming.....

After a lot of issues a couple of years back, I put another hard drive into my desk top PC and use that solely for flight sim.  By default, some small parts of FSX go onto the C/: drive.  I needed to free up some space on the main drive...I have something like 10,000 photos on it as well as other stuff!  It's by no means a perfect system as I still get issues, but it is better than it was.  Maybe one day I will end up with a better PC......

Does anyone have experience of having changed a drive from a regular one to SSD?  If so, does it make a lot of difference with flight sim, in particular FSX?

TIA

Martin

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 04:13, wain said:

I have a 250gb SSD for my OS which normally has about 60gig free......however with the download of Netherlands True earth being so big I am struggling for space....I have watched a few YT vids on moving temp folders to another drive but they don't go into much detail, like what you change the name to etc......Ideally a larger SSD would work but that would mean I guess a complete reinstall.....any suggestions or has anyone got around the same issue....I have loads of storage elsewhere on my system.....I have at least bought the ORBX item in the sale so it's not really a pressing issue to get it sorted.....

With regard to your header that 'space is low', I believe it is misleading.....

I have checked with NASA and it is STILL the same height!!!! Outer space does not begin at a definite altitude above the Earth's surface. However, the Kármán line, at an altitude of 100 km (62 mi) above sea level, is conventionally used as the start of outer space in space treaties and for aerospace records keeping.  Space is still at the same height ...for now!!!   :P:P

Martin

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Tristarcaptain said:

Does anyone have experience of having changed a drive from a regular one to SSD?  If so, does it make a lot of difference with flight sim, in particular FSX?

TIA

Martin

Hi Martin,

Like many others, I changed my hard drives a few years ago from mechanical to SSDs and yes there is a definite difference.

The first difference is, you never have to defrag a SSD.

Files stay where they are installed.

Second difference is faster loading times. SSDs don't have moving parts so are also silent.

Third difference, SPACE, there is loads of space inside my cases now. Mechanical HDDs are almost four times the size of a SSD.

Whats not to like?

Hope this helps.

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for your thoughts.  I guess that the biggest drawback is the cost as I took 'early retirement', so money is at a premium.  With my set up, I would need two SSD's for my PC.  Also, I am on Windows 7, which stops being supported in 2020 as I understand it.  So, I am pondering on updating with SSD's or wait to get a new PC in 2020, which now doubt will also have a better and faster processor.  My current one is 2.6Ghz Quad Core, which is not that brilliant for today's products!!

With regards to loading FSX, at the moment it takes about 3 to 4 minutes.  What could I expect with SSD's?

TIA

Martin

On 19/08/2018 at 08:41, hlminx said:

You could always try this trick, and 'move' your aircraft to free up space..

let me tell you a useful tip .. you have to install aircraft onto the same drive as FSX, but then you can move them where you want.

All you do is set up a separate folder on another drive (I use my 1TB) and then you 'move' the aircraft files from the Sim Objects folder then FSX remembers where you moved them. You need to make sure that you move the folder and not copy it or it doesn't work.

If you want t delete the aircraft you do the same thing in reverse.. move it back across to the Sim Objects folder. and then delete it or uninstall if its one with a separate uninstaller.

As the aircraft loads up when you start FSX (as far as I understand it), it doesn't matter if you store all the aircraft on slower drives.

If it doesn't help today, it may in the future.

That's what I do as well. I have well over 1'000 aircraft in my virtual hangar with a large part of them siphoned off into the External Hard drive.

2 hours ago, Tristarcaptain said:

Hi Brian

With regards to loading FSX, at the moment it takes about 3 to 4 minutes.  What could I expect with SSD's?

TIA

Martin

Mine can take up to 30 minutes to load! 3-4 minutes is bloody good!