Leg 33: New York LaGuardia - Washington Dulles Intl

Guys,

Having to call in sick on this one. Guess who's got the stomach bug on their first day off since Easter? :mrhappy: Anyway, I'm hardly able to stand up never mind navigate a DC-10 accross the United States so I'll have to pass this one over to you.

Really, really sorry about that. Sorry.

Dave

OK Dave, sorry to hear you are ill .

Take it easy and get back to SmilieSleepBed.gif

I have moved you to leg 36 St Louis to Colorado Spings and I will make this flight.

Take care mate.

Here's the start to this leg. I will have to post this in 2 or 3 parts depending on how many times my PC crashes during the flight. (Crash one already happened :help: That's a story for another post.)

Here's the first update for my flight.

Flight plan filed, I'm just getting the weather en-route. We are only up to FL160 so could get a few problems with the cloud

shot088.jpg

Looking at the weather map visibility may be a problem but I am flying IFR any way

shot089.jpg

here's the legend for the map.

shot090.jpg

Due to the PC crash I lost the push back shots so here's where it starts, taxiing to the active. I'm flying the DC-10 for Dave...

shot091.jpg

This is a busy runway.

shot093.jpg

Another "Allard"! John sure does get around!

shot094.jpg

US Airways appear to be the big boys in town here, although that could just be JF's Traffic just making it up

shot098.jpg

The usual snakey queue forming, at a respectable distance of course...

shot099.jpg

The "Skytrain" admiring the skyline!

shot100.jpg

This tarmac is red hot! It's like a conveyor belt with constant movement...

shot101.jpg

Are we ready?

shot102.jpg

Sir Freddie's crew are airborne!

shot105.jpg

I will try to get some shots of the cruise in tonight, wife allowing, and the landing shots tomorrow :mrhappy:

Cheers

We haven't got any PAX or cargo, it's just me and Dave holding the baton in the co-pilot's seat although he's looking a little green. dgor.gif The tanks are only half full as it is only 198 miles to KIAD. Our rate of ascent was very impressive, even the younger birds would have trouble keeping up with me!

shot106.jpg

We can see Manhattan in the background, our FP will take us over the top of the island, way over the top!

shot109.jpg

Dave in the co-pilot's seat and is tracking the horizon trying not to chuck (Sorry Dave) :mrhappy:

shot112.jpg

Straight and level for the moment and on track....

shot114.jpg

The Verrazano bridge in the background, all ships have to sail under this one to get to New York.

shot117.jpg

I think we owe a lot to Sir Freddie in those pioneering years of cheap trans-Atlantic flights, so many wanted him out of business...

shot118.jpg

View from the flight engineers seat, Dave should be looking after that too!

shot124.jpg

Well and truly into our cruise, see you tomorrow at Dulles!

shot125.jpg

Cheers

Great shots, thats some lovely weather being created.

Glad you like the DC-10 Dgor, its a excellent aircraft. The sounds are what makes it stand out for me, the DC10 has that whine to it.

You wouldnt believe how long it took me to get the screenshot used on the front of the box :mrhappy:

Thanks Martyn.

And thanks for the tip on the VC, I was in a hurry the other night to check the aircraft was OK after the download so had no time to check the FAQ's or manual... :blush

I am really enjoying her and I know Dave is too, the review should be up on the web soon.

Cheers

Mut,

Great photos, as usual. Nice of you to let Dave ride along. I trust the supply of burp bags was sufficient?

I can't see a DC-10 without thinking of United 191. We lived fairly close and it got wall to wall television coverage for days. That said, it wasn't the fault of the aircraft, but some "creative" maintenance techniques.

John

Yes, O'Hare...

There was a short piece of amatuer video that caught it slowly rolling as it disappeared behind nearby hangars - I think

there was what looked like smoke visible near the missing engine, actually fuel and hydraulic fluid atomizing in

the slipstream. They must have shown that clip a thousand times.

They analyzed the accident later in the simulators and said that with practice and foreknowledge of what was faulted,

it was survivable, but barely. In real terms, the deck was so heavily stacked against the crew they had no real chance.

A particularly ugly accident, caused by human error but not theirs.

John

Great shots of the flight so far. Look forward to you bringing her down.

I have this DC 10, and although internally its not one of my favorates visually the external is superb, as is the number of liveries and variants and sounds!

Just havent got round to flying it yet!

I'm flying it right now actually :eyebrow: Like Fred it's a long way from my usual FMC and a few LCD displays but it's an aircraft that's genuinely fun to fly, and the FMC is quite useful.

Dave

Welcome back.

It's not much later and we are nearly there. Dave's snoring is rattling the windows :sleep:

leg.jpg

Over Baltimore something is looming out of the distance, it's on the same track as us but higher.

leg1.jpg

But not that much higher, I can almost see what the pilot had for breakfast. Dave was woken by my screams of "SKY HOG"!!!

leg3.jpg

Well into our descent, lower than we should be but I fancy some sightseeing.

leg4.jpg

Ah, this brings back memories of my visit to D.C. 20 years ago. I can recognise the Lincoln Memorial and reflecting pond and the Whitehouse just under the tail. The Oval Office was impressive. And who could forget "Foggy Bottom" the district between the Whitehouse and the Potomac :eyebrow: Sorry drifted off there.

leg5.jpg

This building needs no introduction although with FSX you get a lot of pentagonal buildings. I doubt whether in real life I would be routed this close.

leg6.jpg

Here's our penultimate turn, I'm worried about the PC crashing again...

leg7.jpg

Lined up for 1L

leg8.jpg

Dead on the GS.

leg9.jpg

What a lovely site, the runway ahead. Look at that haze.

leg10.jpg

I'll just take the tops off these trees. (Mutley's Arboricultural Services, that me and heavies for you!)

leg11.jpg

Just left of centre, Dave is helping here by placing himself in the brace position. (Thanks for your confidence Dave :mrhappy: )

leg12.jpg

Full braking and reverse, if I had one of those ButtKickers we saw at the IFC I could imagine it shaking me to pieces!

leg13.jpg

Welcome to Dulles, thank you for flying Laker. We are here parked at the gate waiting to hand the baton over to Martyn.

leg14.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, I did!

Cheers

Hi, Mut.

Great finale! Very good shots, as usual.

Re your text...

Foggy Bottom also commonly refers to the State Department, which you might call the Foreign Office, I think.

I believe it is located in the area you described. The connotation is that they are in the fog and usually cannot

see what is plain to others.

As for proximity to the Pentagon, one of the normal approaches to DCA, Washington Reagan is at least as close

as your shot shows, though you would be quite a bit lower than in your shot.

Great trip, great photos, great airplane...

John

Great shots and a very enjoyable commentary Joe - brilliant stuff once again! :mrhappy:

Your wondering about whether real-world ATC would allow you that close to the Pentagon reminded me of a time a year or so ago when I was flying a JetBlue A320 into New York's JFK airport. It was low-vis weather and I was all geared up for a full ILS approach. And ATC vectored me into the Empire State Building - not over, or close to, but into it. If I hadn't disobeyed them and pulled some pretty scary maneuveres there, well...someone would be in trouble anyway :eyebrow:

Dave